Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 161000 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #630 on: September 25, 2006, 01:20 AM »
In the suburban Twin Cities it's mainly between $2.12 and $2.19, although I saw $2.10 at a couple of places tonight. I also heard a rumor that it was below $2.00 in Hastings, about a half-hour outside the Cities--which is odd because everywhere else here the price goes up the farther you get from the core.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 25, 2006, 09:37 AM »
We're still above $2.70. Even with our higher CA taxes, that's a big difference.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 25, 2006, 10:20 AM »
I've seen as low as 2.15 so far.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 25, 2006, 01:27 PM »
I think dropping a full dollar in a month is a little more that a seasonal thing, even after adjusting for inflation.

It's dropped by about that much in Canada as well , and we produce our own for the most part, so does this mean I get to vote in your elections this fall?

But you're right, it's more than seasonal.  Factor in the lack of last year's catastrophe's in the Gulf's oil producing regions and you probably have your explanation.  Don't look at the prices from fall 2005, look at them from fall 2004 and see what the difference was at that point.  Maybe it's not that they are unreasonably low now, maybe it's that they were unreasonably high for the last 12 months.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 25, 2006, 04:52 PM »
OPEC Considers Cutting Production

Why not maximize your output?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 25, 2006, 06:13 PM »
Because if they cut production prices go back up and they're a greedy multinational oil cartel.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 26, 2006, 08:30 PM »
$1.99 at Exxon today.... 8)  I never thought I'd see a number 1 in the far left side of the sign again.
Beth

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 26, 2006, 11:09 PM »
I never thought I'd be envious of someone paying 1.99 for gas.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 28, 2006, 10:40 AM »
Just read an Associated Press article which talks about price fixing. It refers back the the topic of the radio interview I had heard years ago (the inexplicable closing of the refinery in Bakersfield, CA) where the oil rep defending the closure all but admitted, accidently, that the rise in oil prices was because they can, not because they have to.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 10:40 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 28, 2006, 10:50 AM »
I can't say I'm surprised, but with a captive market you can pretty much do what you want. 

I heard a comment the other day that oil prices, per barrel, are as low as they've been in the last year, yet we're still at $0.90 a liter up here.  Prices have not decreased since September.  The media, who are always quick to crow about an increase in the price per barrel, have been remarkably silent about the price of late, simply because good news is not news.  Without that media presence, the gas price won't go down (and I suspect wouldn't climb as high either).  Ah well, hopefully we've all sold our stocks in August and will re-purchase them in March. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 28, 2006, 11:55 AM »
The one interesting thing that I've noticed is that gas prices have gone up a little bit since the election.  Hmmm, coincidence?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 28, 2006, 12:33 PM »
The one interesting thing that I've noticed is that gas prices have gone up a little bit since the election.  Hmmm, coincidence?

They've gone up - but the price of a barrel of oil hit a 5 year low.

I'm not going to say that oil execs were trying to help incumbents - but it certainly is one more circumstantial piece of evidence pointing to price-fixing.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 28, 2006, 01:25 PM »
The one interesting thing that I've noticed is that gas prices have gone up a little bit since the election. Hmmm, coincidence?

Most likely.  I don't know how certain parties can control the price of a commodity that is traded worldwide.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 28, 2006, 02:38 PM »
Hypothetically, if something was up with this, it wouldn't be the parties doing it - it would be the people who could affect the prices, doing so to help the party they prefer.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 28, 2006, 02:51 PM »
I should have been more specific - I did not mean political parties. 

I still don't see how corporations/special interest groups can have an affect on the price of a commodity that is traded worldwide for political gain. 

Makes for great storytelling, but it can't be easy to do in the real world...just my opinion, I have no ties to corporations or Abramhoff so I can't speak with much expertise on the matter - it just doesn't make sense to me.