Author Topic: Screen Scenes: first wave vs. the second wave  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Screen Scenes: first wave vs. the second wave
« on: September 12, 2003, 10:47 AM »
I spotted the second wave of screen scenes last night at Target.  I picked up the second Geonosian War Chamber set (my table is complete, YAY) but passed on the Jedi Council set (again).  I like the second Geo set much more than the first since all three figs included in the 2nd set are top notch (IMO).  The sculpts are great, and the Passel Argente fig kicks major booty.  The first set was somewhat of a letdown since Poggle was the only "great" looking fig.  In regards to the second Jedi Council set, I like the first set better.  The holes under Yaddle's feet look absolutely horrible and Yarael Poof could've been much better.  Anyway, which wave do you like better?        
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Screen Scenes: first wave vs. the second wave
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 12:44 PM »
I'd love all 4 of them if I could find the darn things...  Alas, it's all for not right now.

Pawlus's review of the one last night was pretty decent though, and made me want to nab it even more (And a 2nd one for customizing).

These aren't common in Pittsburgh just yet though, and actually seem to have stopped shipping since a short time when a few popped up at Targets and the odd TRU.  Now no more are being sighted by my collecting brethren in the area...  Strange.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 04:31 PM »
A friend of mine just got me the second set.  I picked them up today, and they look really cool!  I've yet to open them, but I'm gonna do it really soon.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 05:33 PM »
I'll go with first set of Jedi and Second set of Separtists.  I love the new Mace, probably the best one yet, Even Piell was always high on my wishlist and Oppo was very well done.  Yarael was also a high wish but he seems a tad small, Depa and Yaddle are sorta blah

I hate the new Dooku...horrible.  Poggle and San are well done.  But Passel, Nute and Shu Mai are some of the nicest figures of 2003 methinks.  They put a ton of effort into all four sets and here's hoping they continue this line with a Lars Homestead (give us OT and NT sets with a Lars Gonk). The Death Star Table, A Bespin Dinner Scene with new Lobot, maybe somehow get Rebel Pilots involved from ANH and ROTJ which are some of the most underrepresented characters in plastic (along with Imperial Officers)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2003, 11:53 PM »
I finally got all four sets this weekend, and I love them all!   ;D
dustrho

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 01:59 PM »
The Council when put together is bigger than I thought it would be.  I've still got to wonder, if I put together two Ultarama bases and buy another 4 Jedi Council Screen Scenes, how would it look?

As for the new Jedi Council Screen Scene?  I like it a lot.  Although, Depa Billaba is VERY minimally articualted.  I like Yarael Poof alot, but I get the feeling he should be taller.  Also, Yaddle seems REALLY tiny.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 02:00 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 04:17 PM »
I have seen the first sets but not the second sets.  But the Jedi Council 1st set really did not impress me that much.  I could not bring myself to pay the $21.99 for it.  I don't know why because I was looking for this with great enthusiasm.  It just looked like a ripoff to me for some reason.  But I will break down and get it.  I mean I have to because it has Piell and Oppo in there.  I must have had a cheap moment going on or something :)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 07:48 PM »
I was lucky enough to get the Wave 2 sets the other night (still no luck with finding Wave 1) and I'm a bit disappointed with the sets so far. While the sculpts look top notch, there are parts of the figures that are just lacking. For instance only one figure in each set has waist articulation, thats just an embarrasment right there in my eyes. Waist articulation is one of the most basic necessities of most figures. The fact that in each set there is a figure that has its torso and legs as one full piece is bothersome. Of the 6 figures in the set, Yarael Poof is the best as it has a nice sculpt, great use of soft goods and an adequate amount of articulation. Considering these sets are an average price of $20, Hasbro should have gone out of their way to make the figures more of a premium quality that your average figures. When looking back at the old Cinema Scenes, each figure there got the 6 basic points of articulation and if necessary something extra, but thats not to be seen here. Overall they are nice sets, but I think Hasbro could have taken the extra steps to make the figures even nicer (or in some cases more standard) for the price point. All I ask is for Hasbro to work within the guidelines they themselves have set in the past and that our still logical and cost-efficient today.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 12:26 AM »
Found wave 2 tonight.  Still don't have wave 1, because Newforce cancelled my order.   :(

My thoughts are that Jedi Council #2 wins out over #1 and vice-versa with the War Room sets.  I've waited since 1999 for a Yaddle figure so today was a particularly exciting day in terms of SW collecting.  

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2003, 12:25 PM »
I found the second Jedi Council set this weekend (along with the 2nd War Room, but I haven't gotten either of these yet, since these are all $20 a pop).  I have a question for those of you who have found any of these sets, is there a way to open them without trashing the boxes?  I am a 100 percent opener, but for some reason I haven't opened these sets yet, because I just think they display really well in the boxes.  However, because of space and the fact I want to open them, I'd like to crack them open and put them together to display them better.  Also, on the subject of seeing the second sets.  Do you think we will ever see the first sets again?  I was thinking about picking up the second war room the next time I see it, but I'd want to have the first one to go with it :).

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2003, 04:18 PM »
Do you think we will ever see the first sets again?  I was thinking about picking up the second war room the next time I see it, but I'd want to have the first one to go with it :).

You might want to check TRU.  I spotted the first wave there last week, so it seems that the first wave is shipping again.  Of course, at TRU, they are priced at $21.99 (versus Target's price of $19.99).  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2003, 04:40 PM »
I found the Wave 1 sets for the first time yesterday at Target. Very, very nice items. I was not aware that they would retail for $20, so I refuse to purchase them. I will come obtain them by other means. ;) ::) :-*

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2003, 04:48 PM »
Also, on the subject of seeing the second sets.  Do you think we will ever see the first sets again?

No idea what the future holds, but I can tell you that I saw all four of these sets in great abundance at several of my local Targets this weekend - like 12-16 of them at each store.  So the first sets are definitely still out there, and have only really been showing up around here over the past week or two...

Not sure which of the sets I like better, the first or second...  It's a toss up for me really.  I do like the Jedi sets better than the War Room sets though, that much I can tell ya'!  Character wise, they're just more interesting to me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2003, 09:22 PM »
And the floodgates finally opened...

I went into Target on Saturday evening and they'd put out tons of both series 1 and series 2.  Go figure...

From sporatic sightings of these here and there to a boatload of them showing up at once, and at the same time.  Very strange.

Anyway, my opinion of these sets dropped upon opening them...  They're nice in a way, but I think they definitely are not $20 pieces.  $15 seems much more reasonable to me, especially upon seeing how tiny the packages were, and how some of the figures are on the "cheap" side.  

They're one of those items that are nice to have, but just don't live up to their cost as far as value goes.  I'll get more into it when I get a review of them done for the site I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 11:32 PM »
The only sets I have are the 2 jedi sets.  But I have to say I was very tempted in buying the War room #2.  I think that set looks wonderful.  I may eventually get it.  But I know once I get that one I will have to have the other one as well.