Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 105001 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 'The Hobbit' movie
« Reply #255 on: July 25, 2012, 07:34 PM »
I have mixed feelings about the possibility of The Hobbit being split into three movies. On the one hand it's very hard to complain about the chance to see more of Peter Jackson's vision of middle earth, while on the other it would suck to have to wait an extra year for the story to be wrapped up. Despite my reservations I have faith that all of the films will be done right and very entertaining, and I will happily fork over my money to see them.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2012, 09:09 PM »
I can understand the worries about stretching things too thin, but I guess overall I'd be happy with a trilogy.  With Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter all wrapped up, it is nice to have an ongoing saga of movies going where you can look forward to the next installment and discuss it all year.  The time during the LOTR trilogy release was a lot of fun because of that.  It does sound as if Jackson is using a lot of the appendices/etc. to flesh out characters and the movies, and bridge them with LOTR, which might be cool.  Aside from Marvel's expanding universe, there isn't always something to look forward to continuing the way the Hobbit could.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 28, 2012, 11:03 PM »
Well there are some really good series of books out there that only fantasy and sci-fi geeks would know about. I'd like to see the Dune series, Ender's Game, Wheel of Time series and some others get made.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2012, 11:23 PM »
They are making Ender's Game…starring the kid from Hugo as Ender and Han Solo
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:25 PM by Scott »

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2012, 03:55 AM »
I was excited with the prospect of them stretching this book out into two films, and while I absolutely love Jackson's film interpretations of these Tolkien classics (especially in their extended forms), a trilogy for The Hobbit is just going way overboard and reeks of nothing more than a cash grab to me.  I certainly wouldn't mind being proven wrong in that respect, but I just can't comprehend how there'd be enough material to warrant such a material adjustment at this late juncture, unless they wind up trimming the runtimes down on all of them to a "paltry" 2 hours or so.  I much prefer the more in-depth and entrenched viewing experience of longer flicks though, as we got with each LOTR movie, and even moreso with each of their EE's.

Harry Potter 7 seems to have set quite the business model precedent that all movie franchises based on book series are now following: Twilight, Hunger Games, and now The Hobbit.  Annoying.  I can't wait for Percy Jackson, Part 9, Vol.'s 1 & 2.

Any Tolkien purists here upset with the added female character?  Amusing rants around the web about that.  Seems fairly trivial to me, to be honest, and probably a pretty wise move by the movie studio/writers since Hobbit lacks any of the various heroines found in LOTR.  Gotta have at least one lady in the movie, right?
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2012, 08:51 AM »
And they have added Legolas too in order to draw in the viewers.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2012, 10:07 AM »
And they have added Legolas too in order to draw in the viewers.
To me Legolas is not much of a stretch since he is from Mirkwood

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2012, 01:49 PM »
Trilogy confirmed...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2012, 02:27 AM »
I'm ok with this, actually.  there's quite a bit that The Hobbit doesn't expand on much, but which is expanded upon in other texts...  Maybe because it was a little too deep for The Hobbit which was intended to be lighter reading or whatnot, but this film's story wasn't supposed to be a light fairytale to anyone but those reading it as though it were just a book written by a hobbit...  if that makes sense.

Its "reality" was to be much more involved.  Much more like LOTR then, ultimately.  I imagine that's partly what Jackson's going for then.  Taking the story and making it have its more involved and "realistic" tone since you're supposed to be sort of living it via the film...  if that makes any sense.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 2, 2012, 02:22 AM »

:D

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 8, 2012, 05:26 PM »
 Very interesting perspective on how to weave the Hobbit into a trilogy with an eye on the Lord of the Rings.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/08/03/60354-greenbooks-guest-post-in-defense-of-a-hobbit-trilogy/

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 8, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I saw the preview for this before Dark Knight Rises... man, I am stoked!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Message from Peter Jackson over at the Hobbit Blog http://www.thehobbitblog.com/, sounds like the new trailer will be released this Wednesday (the 19th) in honor of "Tolkien Week" marking the 75th anniversary of the publication of the Hobbit.  Looking forward to it.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2012, 10:10 AM »
And now, it is online:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thehobbit/

Can't wait for this.

UPDATE:  Also, you can view additional scenes (and apparently make "your own" trailer, at The Hobbit.com.  http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:35 AM by Brian »

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2012, 10:52 AM »
SO AWESOME CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!