Author Topic: So Cal wildfires...  (Read 19187 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: So Cal wildfires...
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2004, 05:44 PM »
Yeah, what's the saying?  A bird on the wire is worth... a fire in the bush...?

No, wait - it's Fool me once, shame on... you?  Fool me... again, and... uh...

???

God, my head hurts now.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2004, 06:04 PM »
Yeah, what's the saying?  A bird on the wire is worth... a fire in the bush...?

No, wait - it's Fool me once, shame on... you?  Fool me... again, and... uh...

???

God, my head hurts now.

Yeah, here it is:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2005, 11:51 AM »
Hey Matt, how you making out with all this?  Hope all is well ???

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2005, 12:25 PM »
My wife had to evacuate work yesterday after the fire did it's u-turn thing. She works at West Hills corporate park which is south of Chatsworth and East of Bell Canyon. The smoke smell started getting strong in her building, she looked out the window and there was the fire creaping down the hillside toward them. She was pretty freaked out, but everyone got out okay and they are actually back at work today as the fire was taken care of.

It also looked like it was snowing here last night with all the falling ash, and my house is more than 10 miles away.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2005, 12:37 PM »
sheesh glad the family's safe Anthony! :o
Stay indoors! it can't be good to breathe that not-so-fresh-air, not that it's good normally there but...with the smoke added..can't help :(

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Glad to see she's ok Anthony.

It also looked like it was snowing here last night with all the falling ash, and my house is more than 10 miles away.

The same thing happened to me during the Chino fires when I was living in Yorba Linda.  Woke up the next morning and the whole city is covered in ash.  I thought it was snowing and for some reason I had the craving for bbq that day.   :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2005, 02:24 PM »
We're surprisingly OK this time (so far), but thanks for the inquiry Jim.  I've actually been meaning to bump this thread the last few days to express my ire that every time the wind kicks up out here now, some idiot arson ******** have to start running around starting fires all over the place.  It's absolutely ridiculous.  They're pretty sure this is arson, since 3 different fires started within an hour or two of eachother, all in close proximity to eachother.

So now, for the 3rd time in just 2 years, the L.A. Valley area burns to the ground.  It's just amazing how extensive these fires are too.  They've been canceling a lot of classes at Moorpark College, where my wife teaches, but that's about the extent of our immediate involvement this go-round.  We do know a lot of people in the affected areas though, who are packing up their most valuable and cherished possessions and getting the hell out of Dodge.

It's just bull**** that some windy weather means that mental cases out here have to start torching **** all over the place.  I say these people fry in an electric chair, rather than just spending a couple years in the pen when they get caught, like usual.  Just stupid.

I hope the rest of the SoCal'ers are doing ok though.  Haven't heard from Bonk yet, but I'm guessing he may be the closest JD'er to the fires....  So chime in Matt and let us know how you are!

- M

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Here's a picture from the floor my wife works on. The red car parked against the mountain near the center of the picture is ours. When she got out of the building, the fire had crested the hill.

A picture from earlier in the day from the parking lot:

And one from later in the evening from the parking lot after workers who couldn't get to their cars were allowed to retrieve them:

As for Darth_Bonk, he lives just up the street from me, so he should be okay.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2005, 03:32 PM »
Wow Anthony, I'm glad your wife got out of there okay.  Make sure you keep those beautiful girls of yours safe and sound :)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Ant I did not know you were that close to the action as well.  Hope all goes well for your family and all other JD'ers out there. Doesnt sound like too much has been contained as of yet. Fires have always been one of my biggest nightmares, and even at afar they are a concern to me. And like someone else mentioned about the air and inhalation.  I have a bunch of friends who are firefighters and their biggest fears involve what might be actually burning and ending up in the air.  So much stuff unknown gets past on and the effects show up later. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 04:13 PM by Jim (Rebeltrader) »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2007, 11:21 PM »
Uhh. . .  bump???

:-\

Hope all you SoCal guys are alright. . .

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2007, 11:58 PM »
Keep Colman and his wife in your thoughts.  The fires are right by him, but hopefully he's doing ok right now.  You too Anton and anyone of you out that way, be careful, be cautious, don't take any risks with this.  Hope you're all ok.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2007, 12:05 AM »
I live in Foothill Ranch, where the canyon fire ended up spreading today. I left my class around 11am today to go pack up and evacuate but we never ended up having to. Whiting Ranch, the wild area behind my neighborhood (also where I was hiking yesterday) is up in flames right now so everyone's ready to move if necessary, but the Santa Anas seem to be moving this fire more towards the western entrance, away from the homes. Unfortunately, there's an elementary school right there, which actually leads right back up to my neighborhood, but the firefighters we have are making their stand over at the entrance to the park and I really doubt we'll have to go anywhere. Anyway, hope all is well for everyone else, keep in touch, stay safe, and I'll post more later once I know what's going on.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2007, 01:18 AM »
It's like fricken Mordor here.  Every direction there's a fire.  Looks like the three fires in the Santa Clarita area are going to join into one. 

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2007, 01:27 AM »
http://calfire.blogspot.com/ if anyone wants to get updates. Looks like my fire was caused by arson, which I am none too pleased about. :-\