Author Topic: motorcycle  (Read 3874 times)

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: motorcycle
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2004, 11:26 AM »
Here's what I can offer on the issue of safety...

-Protective gear.  Get some.  Get a good, full face helmet that's DOT or Snell rated.  After having a rock the size of a golfball hit the windshield of my car right in front of my face, there's no way I would ever wear a half or 3/4 helmet.  Also, get at least a tough leather jacket or a pretty well padded synthetic riding jacket.

-Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Rider Course.  This course lasts 3 days, and teaches you all you need to know to ride a motorcycle safely.  It teaches you basic riding skills, the rules of the road for motorcycles, and strategies to avoid accidents and bad drivers.  You need to have a motorcycle learners permit to take the course.  If you complete and pass the riding and written tests of the MSF course, the DMV in your state will in most cases waive your road test, and issue your motorcycle license.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2004, 04:36 PM »
Excellent advice Nick.  Helmet conversations remind me of two things that happened to me.  

My dad, being a classic biker guy (owned Triumphs back in the 50's) who travelled all over North America on motorcycle favored open face helmets like motorcycle officers wear.  I borrowed his one day, threw on the sun glasses and off to work.  I was merging into traffic and looked backwards to check for safety.  Whooosh!  There went the glasses.  Thanks, but I got ye olde Bell full face right on the next day.  

And that full face probably saved me.  Nick's rock reminded me of the time a bumble bee hit me square in the visor.  Now a bumble bee is big, but not that heavy right?  No matter at 50 mph.  I was cruising along and whammo!  Big, fat bee hit me square in the visor, damn near knocked me off the bike and pushed my head back about a foot.  It broke the visor plastic (cracked).  I can't imagine if that thing had hit me in the face and stung me to boot.  

I always laugh at guys that ride in shorts, sandles or even no shirt.  Not much imagination there.  Remember skinning your knee as a kid.  Try that at 30 mph.  road rash can be fatal too.  Not saying you have to ride around in full leathers but I always wore boots (even hiking boots), gloves and only occasionally rode without a jacket.  I prefer to not bleed.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Brent the bee story brings me bake to a rather painfull weekend ride. I was crusing along in a t-shirt and a damn bee went into my open sleave. it got into the back area and stung me 5 times before I could stop and squish the little bugger. That sucked, from then on I wore a jacket no matter how hot it was outside.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2004, 07:37 PM »
but I did feel kinda funny being the only guy in the Harley club who wore a REAL DOT approved helmet.    

Oh, I know just how you feel!!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 07:38 PM by jadesfire »
Beth

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2004, 12:16 AM »
Nick's rock reminded me of the time a bumble bee hit me square in the visor.  Now a bumble bee is big, but not that heavy right?  No matter at 50 mph.  I was cruising along and whammo!  Big, fat bee hit me square in the visor, damn near knocked me off the bike and pushed my head back about a foot.  It broke the visor plastic (cracked).  I can't imagine if that thing had hit me in the face and stung me to boot.  

A friend of mine wore a 3/4 helmet with sunglasses and got hit near the eye by a bee while he was doing just about 50.  The thing left a mark on his face like he'd just been decked by Mike Tyson.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback