Author Topic: Anyone read the cardbacks on these things yet?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline C

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Anyone read the cardbacks on these things yet?
« on: May 19, 2004, 02:38 PM »
In examining these new pics that have come up today, I noticed that the little character manifestos that they printed on the cardbacks are extremely idiotic and poorly written. Check this out, from the Darth Vader card:

"Darth Vader is a part of the evil Empire. He is powerful in the ways of the Force but uses his skills to do terrible things. He helps the Emperor control the galaxy. When he meets Luke Skywalker, he tries to convince Luke to join him and together rule the galaxy, but Luke resists and eventually helps Vader see that the galaxy needs to be saved from the Emperor."

That's right, it does say "galaxy" three times. With the present tense and the choppy sentences, it sounds like a second grade report of an ROTJ picture book. I know these are toys intended for kids, but come on. Do they have to sound like children wrote them? What high school dropout is working for Hasbro and how can I get his job?

Read through the other cardbacks, they're equally as bad.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Anyone read the cardbacks on these things yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 10:58 PM »
The write-ups on the Saga packages are banal, but they aren't this bad.

Oh well. I read them once, and never again, so for me, eh. (Choppy enough sentence there?) ;)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 04:53 AM »
Wow.  Yeah, that is pretty damned pathetic.  Either it was a complete idiot doing the writeups there, or these are indeed geared towards the kids.  Oh well, no biggie really...

Someone else was pointing out that they thought it was odd that Hasbro wasn't disclosing the father/son relationship on the backs, and was wondering if that was Hasbro's effort to potentially hide any OT spoilers, for the new kid DVD viewers and figure buyers, I'd assume.

Weird.

Now that they've finally nailed the cardfronts so beautifully, I sure wish they'd go back to the old monster visual checklist cardbacks too, and forget all this crap they've been pumping out for the past 9 years.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 09:33 AM »
I actually really enjoyed the GIJoe-styled character bios form the very first sets of POTF2 more than the super-collection from the Vintage cards. I think if I were in charge, I'd return to that style.

Either is better than "Vader was a bad man. Very, very bad. Shame on Vader!"

Ah, to see how far it's fallen...

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 4, 2004, 08:01 AM »
"Boba Fett, who is hired by the evil Empire, is the most dangerous bounty hunter in the galaxy. He wears a helmet that completely hides his face. Boba Fett carries lots of weapons to capture whomever he is chasing, including a jetpack that fires missiles. He is a skilled pilot with a powerful ship, Slave 1,  which is packed with equipment to track down his prey and escape any attack."

Editor's note:
The use of the word "whomever" may be a little over the heads of our target audience. How about substituting "good guys?" Also, remove mention of his firing missile. Legal doesn't want to go down that road again.