Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111128 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #375 on: July 29, 2009, 09:24 AM »
A Clockwork Orange may have been a better movie than book... that's because the whole book was written in first person from Alex in his future-speak.  Tough to sift through parts of it.  Still it was a good book.  But the movie was brilliant.  The movie was very faithful to the book, only omitting one major scene I noticed.  Ending was different, though.  The book went a few more years into the future, while the movie stopped after Alex was rewarded.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 29, 2009, 09:27 AM »
A Clockwork Orange may have been a better movie than book... that's because the whole book was written in first person from Alex in his future-speak.  Tough to sift through parts of it.  Still it was a good book.  But the movie was brilliant.  The movie was very faithful to the book, only omitting one major scene I noticed.  Ending was different, though.  The book went a few more years into the future, while the movie stopped after Alex was rewarded.

I've never read the book. I probably should. I love the movie. Malcolm McDowell gives one of my top three acting performances in it.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 29, 2009, 09:40 AM »
A Clockwork Orange may have been a better movie than book... that's because the whole book was written in first person from Alex in his future-speak.  Tough to sift through parts of it.  Still it was a good book.  But the movie was brilliant.  The movie was very faithful to the book, only omitting one major scene I noticed.  Ending was different, though.  The book went a few more years into the future, while the movie stopped after Alex was rewarded.

Totally OT, but A Clockwork Orange is both one of my favorite books and favorite movies.  I saw the movie several times before I ever read the book, and once you're used to the "viddy this" and "me droogs" that from the film, the book's great.  The final chapter in the book gives it the edge in my opinion, because although the book and the film tell essentially the same story, the message is entirely different due to Alex's reflections in the 26th chapter.

Another one where I think the movie was maybe a bit better than the book was "Into the Wild."  Or I guess I should say, the movie was a better movie than the book was a book.  But again, I like both of those a lot.

Back to Half Blood Prince, I'm bummed that they didn't include the climactic battle at Hogwarts.  Just to have the Death Eaters slink off into the bushes was kind of a letdown, because I remember reading those chapters and thinking "this is going to be awesome in the movie."  And then nothing.

But overall, I liked the movie quite a bit.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:42 AM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 29, 2009, 12:51 PM »
Back to Half Blood Prince, I'm bummed that they didn't include the climactic battle at Hogwarts.  Just to have the Death Eaters slink off into the bushes was kind of a letdown, because I remember reading those chapters and thinking "this is going to be awesome in the movie."  And then nothing.

But overall, I liked the movie quite a bit.

That was my biggest let down for the movie too.  I really enjoyed it overall, but the ending didn't seem to have the "punch" it did in the books, at least in my mind.  Reading that battle in Hogwarts between the various Death Eaters, and the students/teachers seemed so cool to me when I read it - but the movie, like you said, pretty much just had them running away and that was that.  Even the Snape/Harry showdown was pretty short and sweet.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 29, 2009, 02:37 PM »
I missed the ending battle also but I seem to recall reading, and this was quite a while ago, that the battle from the book would not be in this film.  And I think that's not a bad idea.  The final battle in Deathly Hallows also takes place at Hogwarts and I think that having two large, movie ending battles at the school would look played out on film.

It works perfectly in the books, but thinking about it from a film standpoint, not seeing the school involved like that till the ultimate climax of the series may be a good choice.  Or not.  I guess we'll know in two years.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #380 on: July 29, 2009, 02:54 PM »
There was a big battle in the school in the last movie too, wasn't there?

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 29, 2009, 03:12 PM »
There was a big battle in the school in the last movie too, wasn't there?

If you are talking about the Order of the Phoenix, the final battle took place in the Ministry of Magic and not Hogwarts. 

As for the Battle in the Half Blood Prince I'm not sure if it was a good idea to totally remove it from the movie or not.  I have heard it was mostly done due to it being similar to the ending to The Deathly Hallows battle and the film makers didn't want it to be the same.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #382 on: July 29, 2009, 03:49 PM »
Ah... that's right... I'm thinking of the fourth movie, probably.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #383 on: August 1, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Caught HP6 last night and I liked it.  It has been since Deathly came out that I've read HPB.  My wife on the other hand read it yesterday before the movie.  It was a mistake on her part IMO because she hated all of the of plot they cut from the book but I didn't notice nor care.  I would have liked a little more Snape but otherwise it was good all around...pacing, effects, score.  I was particularly impressed with Slughorn.  The casting for the entire series has been so damn spot on it is amazing how well the actors translate the pages to the screen.  I've always not liked whoever plays Ron but he did a great job this last turn.  Looking forward to Hallows :)
« Last Edit: August 1, 2009, 05:01 PM by Scott »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 1, 2009, 04:43 PM »
There are definitely some significant ommissions from the movie version of Half Blood Prince.  I think there are some things that were done right, like the Quidditch match and the sequence with the cave at the end.  But there's barely any sense of who Fenrir Greyback is at all, despite his appearance.  And there's a lot that was glossed over with the Weasely family. 

The books are by far a much richer experience.  But I don't know how they can really be translated into movies without turning them into 3 hour+ epics.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 1, 2009, 09:49 PM »
I was particularly impressed with Slughorn.  The casting for the entire series has been so damn spot on it is amazing how well the actors translate the pages to the screen.  I've always not liked whoever plays Ron but he did a great job this last turn.  Looking forward to Hallows :)

That's something my wife and I have been talking about as we've re-watched the series lately (and then seeing HBP in the theater).  The cast is pretty much perfect, all the way down to the most minor characters or new ones just brought in each movie (Slughorn is a great example, he was one of our favorite parts of this new movie).  Just great casting overall.  I still think that Alan Rickman as Severus Snape is one of the best castings in movie history.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 2, 2009, 02:23 AM »
(Slughorn is a great example, he was one of our favorite parts of this new movie).  Just great casting overall.  I still think that Alan Rickman as Severus Snape is one of the best castings in movie history.

Agreed on both counts.  The amazing thing, to me, is that they took a shot on Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson and they've all really grown into the characters and become better actors as the films have progressed.  Plus the teaching staff, even the Dursley's, all really well cast.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 15, 2009, 06:24 PM »
Details on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Park are starting to be made available (intro video and virtual tour type thingy at the link).  Sounds pretty nifty, its too bad they wouldn't do something like this with Star Wars (beyond Star Tours that is - which may be cool, I've never been there).  Opening Spring of 2010.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:25 PM by Brian »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 16, 2009, 11:04 AM »
So it sounds like lots of shopping. Two rethemed rides that are already there and a big new ride in the castle. At least the Magic Kingdom is getting an extension of fantasyland with multiple all new rides.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 21, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Commercial for the Harry Potter - Ultimate Editions DVD and Blu Ray.  Apparently the first two movies will be released alongside the Half Blood Prince DVD on December 8th, with the rest of the movies on the way in the future.  Each one will have an hour of an 8 hour documentary on the making of the films, as well as additional footage.  Obviously not a fan of "double dipping", but it sounds like it could be pretty well done.  I know this is one series we'd like to get on blu ray if/when we make that switch.