Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111113 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #480 on: June 16, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Pottermore?

Speculation seems to be all over the map (new tv show, on-line game, new web portal, etc), but everyone seems to say it's not a new book.  Also sounds like the "official" announcent on it will come late next week...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 16, 2011, 01:58 PM »
It could be the Scottish Book (the Harry Potter Encyclopedia) that JK has mentioned before.  Since it seems to have her direct involvement, I don't think that it would be an online game or another theme park.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 17, 2011, 11:06 AM »
New trailer for Deathly Hallows Part 2 available (with new footage):

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/harrypotterandthedeathlyhallowspart2/

Really looking forward to this.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 23, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Pottermore is open now... sort of:

http://www.pottermore.com/

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 23, 2011, 11:43 AM »
Wow...e-books. How underwhelming.

Ya couldn't even have written a new short story?  :P
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 13, 2011, 10:17 AM »
So is anyone heading out to the final chapter this weekend?  Sounds like reviews have been pretty positive (as usual with Potter), and I know I'm really looking forward to it.  Hopefully - if the parents babysitting comes through - we'll be heading out on Saturday.  I know some of our local theaters are doing a promo where they show all of the Potter films through an entire day, with the new one premiering at midnight.  Long day, but it would be fun if you had the time I guess.

I was watching a special the other day where they were saying the top three "franchises/stories" of all time were the Star Wars OT, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter (I believe it was Leonard Maltin - film critic - who said that).  I know I sure enjoy all three.  I wonder if we'll ever see anything like Potter again, where they had so many films (8) that were all of good quality, and had the same actors throughout the series.  Definitely something special.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 13, 2011, 04:50 PM »
I have tickets to a midnight showing tomorrow.  I'm not sure how many screens the film is playing on, but my theater has 7 start times for tomorrow night and 6 are sold out, the newest one they added is a 3:10am start.

I didn't do a midnight showing last year because I waited too long and they sold them all out.  But for Half Blood Prince, I believe they showed Potter on 8 screens for their midnight showing.  And I don't live in that large of a town, and both colleges are out for the summer.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 13, 2011, 06:17 PM »
My family I'd planning to go on Friday evening. Really looking forward to it.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #488 on: July 13, 2011, 07:41 PM »
We have tickets for Friday Afternoon in IMAX.  I'm looking forward to this one!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 13, 2011, 11:26 PM »
I'm taking one of my nephews to see it at 9:10 PM on Friday night.  Looking forward to it.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 15, 2011, 12:07 PM »
Really liked it.  Saw the 12:40 show this morning, the local theater had 7 start times with at least 10 screens showing the movie and they were all sold out, including the 3:10am showing.

There were a lot of changes from the book, some I was fine with but there were a few little things that I didn't care for.  I really dislike it when they change the little things for no real reason.

A few people were in costumes last night, there was some cheering and clapping at a few points and you could tell there were a lot of tears through various parts as well.

This is only the 4th film that I've seen in theaters, Order of the Phoenix was the first one I went to (the rest I saw on DVD first), but it's going to be weird knowing that there won't be another film coming next year.  As far as the films and books go, I think my love for this series almost surpasses my love of Star Wars.  I think it's possible that in my lifetime there won't be another series of films that will match up with Potter.  LotR is close but some of my other favorites such as Star Wars and Indiana Jones weren't this consistently good for this long of a run of films.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 15, 2011, 02:44 PM »
LotR is close but some of my other favorites such as Star Wars and Indiana Jones weren't this consistently good for this long of a run of films.

E...

I don't disagree that Potter had more consistency but I think if you tried to resurrect the franchise 15-20 years down the line it'd suffer as the others did as well.  The beauty is that the films were over such a compact period of time, to me just like the LOTR trilogy or the original SW/Indy films.  Those originals were wonderfully consistent for the most part (******' ewoks). 

Never having read the books for the Potter series, I haven't known what would change in the movies, so no idea what I've missed or what could have irritated me.  I went to a late night show last night for fun and I was stunned by how well behaved the crowd was.  No cell phones, no conversations at quiet points in the movies.  I still hate 3D and find it wholly unnecessary for the movie going experience to be enjoyable.  The movie proved to be a very good finish to the series for me with enough drama to be a suitable ending.  Now I can go read the books. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #492 on: July 15, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Overall, I think they did a good job. A nice ending to the series.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 15, 2011, 06:37 PM »
I went to a late night show last night for fun and I was stunned by how well behaved the crowd was.  No cell phones, no conversations at quiet points in the movies.

I found the same with my theater last night.  Once the film opened it was dead silent in the theater except for the few cheering points, a couple laughs and later, sniffling as people were crying.  And the age range skewed young in the crowd I was with.

I'd say many of the people there were the kids that literally grew up with Harry in the books and then films.  I sat next to two couples that were my age, maybe a couple years older, but most everyone sitting in front of me were 20-25 maybe, some younger probably.  There were some busses at the theater when I got there and I think they were from Cornell, bringing over a lot of the summer students from campus.

E...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 16, 2011, 12:09 AM »
Very pleased with this movie. Sure there were some tweaks but all in all I was okay with them.  I will probably post more when there is less of a chance to spoil some parts.