Author Topic: SW Toys in the Attic?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
SW Toys in the Attic?
« on: June 15, 2004, 02:23 PM »
Hi.  My wife and I are moving into our new house in a few weeks, and I will be stroing my Star Wars collection in the attic for a while.  Has anyone ever had any problems with toys getting too hot in the attic?  Ours has two windows, and will eventually have a fan.  While growing up, we kept toys and records in our attic and had no problems, but I'm a little concerned about the soft plastic used in today's figures.

I have most of my open collection stored in plastic tubs.  I am thinking about putting it all into cardboard boxes so that everything can "breath."

Any tips or pointers would help.  Thanks---Speedermike
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: SW Toys in the Attic?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 02:30 PM »
I had some stuph stored in a hot attic for years and never noticed a problem. It wasn't hot year round, but when it got hot, it got pretty damned hot. (That's what the thermometer read, "Pretty Damned Hot!") The rest of the year it was pretty damned cold.

ABS and PVC has a good memory anyway.
Post sober.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 09:27 PM »
The toys should be fine, but is anything carded?  Any sort of fluctuation in temperature combined with humidity, as tends to happen in attics or basements, can give you the dreaded wavy card syndrome.  Figures themselves are fine.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 10:58 PM »
i kept my entire carded/boxed/loose collection in the attic at my old house for about 3 years. in the summer it was hot up there. africa hot. and in the winter it was cold. but when i moved out and started setting up my collection a few weeks back, everything seems to be fine. no wavy cards for me  ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 03:00 AM »
Should be cool (no pun) but if you live far south, I'd be leery of doiong that Steve.

I knwo I've got G.I. Joes and things up in the attic, and they're ok.

On the other hand, there were some Star Wars figs in my cousins attic here and they damn near melted.  I live up around Pittsburgh so your mileage may vary depending what state/area you're in.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 03:09 AM »
Yeah, wouldn't advise that if you're in SC for example. Even in weel air conditioned places, the figures in the summer seem to be much for, uhhhh, pliable.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 07:02 PM »
I'm keeping most of my collection stored in my parent's basement in Sterilite 25 gallon tubs.

It's been three years and I've had no problems with them, although a few items need to be straightened out every so often.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk