Author Topic: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)  (Read 64692 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)
« Reply #255 on: December 2, 2019, 04:24 PM »
So not much different from a typical Target aisle. Interesting
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 2, 2019, 06:06 PM »
So not much different from a typical Target aisle. Interesting

In terms of the inventory?  Yeah.

I actually went into the GameStop that's in this same mall (just a few minutes after visiting TRU) and was struck by just how much more Black Series stock GS had on hand compared to TRU, including exclusives and new figures like Jannah.  But GameStop hasn't exactly been a reliable destination for the Vintage Collection.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 06:08 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2021, 10:31 AM »
So the two TRU locations that had been opened in late 2019 have closed.  One was located in Houston, TX and the other in Paramus, NJ.  The Paramus location being local to me, I went there a number of times.  In fact, it was the one location where I was able to find decent quantities of Vintage Collection figures at brick & mortar retail.  But opening retail stores a few months before a global pandemic begins is bad timing at best.  I could see the writing on the wall a couple of months ago when they were clearancing everything.  The staff in the store told me that they were selling off old inventory and new stock would be coming in soon.  Maybe they said that because I had my kid with me.  But that location is now closed.

In the words of C-3PO, here we go again:

Toys R Us has a new owner that’s planning to open stores again in the U.S.

-Brand management company WHP Global announced it has acquired a controlling interest in Tru Kids, the parent company of the Toys R Us and Babies R Us brands.
-Tru Kids bought the brands and intellectual property from Toys R Us after it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September 2017.
-WHP plans to open a number of Toys R Us stores again in the U.S., ideally ahead of this holiday season.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2021, 11:26 AM »
Why they never tried to compete in the online market place will always be a head-scratcher.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Those two stores were doomed to failure because they were just designed as half assed showrooms rather than actual toy stores. I don’t need an “interactive consumer experience” I just want to see a butt load of all kinds of different toys on the shelves how it used to be.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy