Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 191885 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #750 on: May 20, 2015, 12:05 PM »
Nick that posting is hilarious.  It goes from what I thought was a bad translation to English over to some kind of Consumer Activist message to just pure rant about Paypal.  Then he ties it all up by basically stating that he knows he's fully aware of all the crazy he just wrote.  Funny stuff - thanks for sharing. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #751 on: November 5, 2015, 12:26 AM »
Not Ebay here, Amazon 3rd party actually incase anyone has any experience...

I bought something, seller contacted me requesting I cancel the order because he doesn't have it in stock.  OK, I'm fine with you not having it in stock, however, the item is still posted and went up (though very slightly). 

Alright, so that's sort of annoying, but again, why is the 3rd party seller asking that I cancel the sale?  Can't he?  And if I refuse to cancel the order, what's up then?

Which, I have sort of done that already and asked Amazon who contacted him and told him to sell the product to me...  But I mean if he doesn't have it honestly, then what?  Amazon Marketplace is a weird place.  Just wondered if anyone else ever ran into a hassle on it.  I never have till tonight.

In Ebay news, and this happened and I let it go, but I made an offer on something which had a make offer listing on it.  His BIN was like $10, I offered $5.  He writes back to me "There's XYZ in the lot, I think $10 is a fair price"...  OOOOOK then, but why did you have a make offer listing then?  I didn't even bother replying and just made a counter offer of even less to piss him off.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #752 on: November 5, 2015, 05:00 AM »
Concerning the Amazon seller....I would report them to Amazon.  I was getting materials for my shadow box and found an item with ridiculously high shipping rates which I didn't notice until after I had purchased.  I told amazon about it, and although they said they couldn't do much about it, they gave me a refund on a couple of items that I had purchased through Amazon.

As far as the make an offer portion of ebay....I don't think I've ever had on accepted and I've been pretty reasonable in my offers.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 5, 2015, 10:28 AM »
I use the make an offer option on Ebay (buying) fairly often.  Most sellers using that will put up a slightly higher than average sell price, then have a threshold they're willing to sell at.  In your case, a $10 item for $5 is 50% off what he's asking, so that's a lot to ask in my opinion.  Think about it from his end - is it even worth the hassle of shipping an item out if you're just getting $10 for it?  I tend to use it for bigger ticket items.  I got both my vintage palitoy droid factories using BIN - there's a lot more wiggle room on items selling >$100.  I also recently used it for the Disney elite Grievous figure, since I didn't get to the store and was too late to get one online.  A seller had it listed for $80 along with some exclusive Disney trading cards.  I offered $65 including shipping, which is still a lot higher than I wanted to pay, and she agreed to that.  It's really useful IMO, but not on lower ticket stuff.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 5, 2015, 12:14 PM »
BIN on eBay is so random.  I try it fairly often, but get declined 90% of the time.  Its still worth a try as a lot of people have things marked up too high.  Even when you point out recent sales equal to your offer they generally ignore your offer.

Amazon Marketplace is a complete crapshoot as far as I'm concerned and I am as careful buying stuff there as I am on eBay.  I've had stuff that I purchased that has never shown up.  I've had orders cancelled by the sellers since they didn't actually have the item.  (seriously- WTF?  I bitched to Amazon about this.  People should not be "selling" things on Amazon that they don't actually have in their hands).

The upside is that Amazon has always been really good about the failed orders and has always taken my side, not that I've ever had any jerks that I've had to deal with from sellers.  They freely admit when they haven't delivered.

I will say I've never had a seller ask me to cancel the order.  I would put that on them.  I'm guessing it comes down to how Amazon rates them internally on their ability to fulfill orders.  Make them pay for their non-delivery.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #755 on: November 5, 2015, 10:44 PM »
Regarding the Ebay thing,

It's not really the point I was getting at, but as a side discussion I guess, I can't really say the woes of the seller impact me in any way...  If selling it for anything less than its list BIN price means he takes a loss on it somehow, by all means he shouldn't do that.  But then again, he also shouldn't imply he'll negotiate either.  That's just stupid on his part.

But, to my point, if you're listing a BIN of $10 and then you list Make Offer as an option, but anything less than $10 is now not worth your time...  that makes zero sense then.  And that gets back to my main question then that, if you're not willing to negotiate at all, why list Make Offer on your auction then?  The seller's reply to my $5 offer was simply, "It's got XYZ in the lot, I think $10 is a sufficient price".  Again, this makes zero sense, and seems to me like wasting time for wasting time's sake.  *shrugs*

To put it in a more real world context, I have bought quite a few cars over the years for "work cars".  I use scrap value of a junked car as my base price to work off of, and how far up I'm willing to come from that price, but that is what I can get out of the car should it turn out to be unfixable.  And I make my offer, and they make theirs (or don't...  Some guys get offended and won't negotiate), and you go from there.  I'm sure they have bills, and problems, and this and that, but they also have a car out of inspection for 2 years with holes you could put a toddler through in it.  It's not my problem and I'm offering them something more than they'll get at a junkyard for it.  If they're not willing to negotiate on that, that's fine, but they shouldn't say in their Craigslist listing "Negotiable" under the price they're asking then.

I'd have taken a counter-offer to my $5 offer on the auction, but he didn't give it...  Possibly just a situation of someone being so offended they would rather get nothing than something, I don't know.  But regardless of all that, I don't put myself in the place of the seller, as I am not the Ebay charity guy as a buyer.  I can only pay what I view it's worth, and they're either interested in talking about it, or not I guess...  sad on his part if he'd refuse anything, but fine.  I just found the listing having Make Offer on it to be, ultimately, silly.  He wasn't interested in that option being used.

In regards to the Amazon thing, I've never really had much issue, and Matt, I did take it to Amazon, but kind of on accident.

I started a chat just to ask them why the seller would ask me to cancel the order, told the rep all the details, etc.  They escalated it though because that struck them as fishy, and Amazon seemed genuinely annoyed he listed an item then claimed not to have it.  So I ultimately go them involved, but I only wanted to know if I were to cancel the order myself (as the seller oddly requested) if it somehow could come back on me in some negative way.  They force the seller's hand, and he had to cancel the order and remove his listing ultimately.  It was my first "odd" situation.  The item in question has risen in price in the last year or two, and it may be that which made the seller regret the listing being left up.  And by the by, he was indeed forced to remove the item.  So there's that, at least.

Anyway, I'm watching their store now and plan to report them if it pops back up for an inflated price.  I doubt it does much good, but hey, I feel this person was shifty on this, so piss on them.

Dave, I've had probably a 50/50 (or close) rate of success using Make Offer on Ebay...  I tend to buy customizing junk or diorama junk that way, or a lot of things from Asia have that in the listings, and I find it's because they know they got it for 5 finger discount or very cheap at least, and I wind up doing well...  It's all in what you're willing to pay, and willing to walk away from the negotiation over.  I always just take into account the retail prices if I know them, their shipping offer, if I want more if they have more, etc.  Whatever factors I can, basically, and ultimately what it is worth to me, to own whatever worthless thing it is I'm trying to buy.   :-[

I negotiate at the local toy show, always, and usually find guys will talk...  It's usually bundling stuff together to get a lower price, but I've had 99% success at the toy show.  Only one guy ever was a douche about negotiation, and he doesn't set up any longer.  I can't fathom it's because he seemed to sell so little, and asked a mint for every random POS he had on his table.  Friends who set up at the show all generally feel the same way...  Negotiation leads to sales, and you never want to leave heavier than you showed up with toys.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2015, 10:48 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 6, 2015, 08:45 AM »
I will say that when I offer the Best Offer option on my auctions, I will often take into account where the person lives who is making the offer. I offer Free Shipping on all my auctions, so selling something for $10 to a guy in Maryland or North Carolina is a lot more attractive to me than selling the same item to a guy in Alaska. So in some cases yeah, I might not be able to make the $$$ work depending on how far the item has to travel, but I am always upfront about it with people.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 6, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Like Dave said, I think it's pretty random.  I made an offer to a guy on Ebay a month ago for 20% below his asking price.  He sent back a note chewing me out for lowballing and told me never to bid on any of his auctions.  Done.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #758 on: November 6, 2015, 11:56 PM »
Lol I'd have had to dick with that guy.  Just telling me not to would be every reason to always lowball him on stuff. ;D

I thought about low balling the guy I'm dealing with as the auction is ending soon and nobody is even watching it but me.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 6, 2016, 06:59 PM »
Well, after umpteen sales transactions without a hitch, I finally ran into a problem buyer. I sold some loose figures along with their original packaging, and mentioned clearly in the listing that I would be shipping them in their original packaging. I guess they got jostled around in shipping and were all askew in the inner clam shell. He somehow interprets this as the items bring in bad condition.  ::) never mind that both the figures themselves, as well as the packaging are both totally undamaged. Dude wants a full refund plus me to foot the bill for his return shipping.

Praying I can talk my way out of this one but I'm expecting pain.  :(

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 6, 2016, 10:51 PM »
That sucks.  Did you get insurance from the post on your package?  You might be able to get them to at least pay the return postage if the shipping caused the "damage."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 7, 2016, 08:20 AM »
I ship Priority about half the time, which comes with $50 insurance, but I don't think this was one of those, unfortunately. I heard back from him again last night and I guess he is saying now that the figures themselves arrived damaged. He included a couple of pictures but I have no way of knowing whether he did that himself or it actually happened in transit. I know they did not leave my hands like that. I offered to give him a 25% refund and let him keep the figures so we'll see what happens. I'm pretty sure he is not going to play ball though.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 7, 2016, 01:39 PM »
I would be pretty suspicious if the figures were damaged in shipment.  Either a tank rolled over the box or he's trying to pull a fast one.  Did you look at his buyer history?  I wonder if there's any evidence of him doing something similar in the past.  It's probably not a bad idea to snap a picture of stuff as you box it up just as evidence, though I never remember to do that.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 29, 2016, 04:09 PM »
LOL Ebola Fett.  Creative.  Dumb, but creative.