Author Topic: New Saga 4-packs: Love 'em or hate 'em?  (Read 18322 times)

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: New Saga 4-packs: Love 'em or hate 'em?
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2003, 12:47 PM »
WHY don't you like the Bounty Hunter set????  I think it's great!

I can tell you why I don't like the Bounter Hunter set.... I have all the same figures when they were originally released and that is an EU speeder bike for a character that was in only one movie less than 5 seconds that was supposed to be further developed that never was and perhaps never will be (as far as movies go).   I will buy the Hoth set (for the Taun Taun) and the Imperial set for everything but Vader.  The Imperial set also is good for army builders, which neither the Hoth nor Bounty Hunter set is good for.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2003, 01:29 PM »
Here is a closeup of the gut pile...

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2003, 01:56 PM »
Wow, that is neat, I like the Hoth and Imperial Ones, the Bounty Hunters stink unless you don't have those figures yet
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2003, 02:31 PM »
So, has anyone mentioned that the Leia is a kitbash, yet?  It's the POTJ Bespin Escape Leia body plus vest and a different head.  The shoes or lack of boots are the giveaway.

Is anyone else disappointed Leia doesn't have Hoth boots? It was the first thing I noticed. Of course I'm hopeless.

Does anyone know if Boba Fett is a ROTJ repaint or will he be sporting deco identical to the 300th figure TESB version? That would be an acceptable variant, not unlike the new Hoth Han lovely BLUE/crappy brown jacket figure.  :D
Post sober.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2003, 03:26 PM »
I just bought the Imperial set this weekend, and reviewed it here.

I'd say I was looking forward to it the most, but the Hoth set will be neat for the accessories. I'm really waiting to see how those old sculpts are painted inthe Bounty Hunter set, if they take them up a notch (like the cantina sets last year, which really transformed those old sculpts) then I'll buy it without question.

For the record, I wasn't particularly fond of Leia's incorrect shoes or her running pose.

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2003, 04:43 PM »
I love it even more !!!!!  ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2003, 05:46 PM »
My opinion on the sets isn't changing too much, though hearing some negative things about the QUALITY of the Imperial set has sort of put a sour taste in my mouth.   :-\

The Imperial set had the most appeal to me as an army builder, since the AT-ST (Imperial Army Regular) driver is sorely in need of a better sculpt, and that sorta fit the bill.  The R4 astromech is always welcome, and of course stormtroopers can never be turned away.  The Vader's sort of dejecting though, and just like the upcoming Saga Snowtrooper...  WHY THE CANNON!?  I have umpteen of those things already, I'm all repeating blastered out here.

The BH set has the least appeal to me, as has been pointed out by a few others...  The swoop bike is a nice improvement over the SOTE swoop, but it's tough to justify buying 4 figures I already have for the bike...  Like others have said though, if the deco on each figure is greatly improved I could maybe see it, but I'm just not so sure on that...  I mean, nobody in the set can even ride the swoop, can they?  

The Hoth set's title is a tad misleading...  When I hear "Battle of Hoth", I don't expect what's given in the package.  While the Taun Taun w/Guts is a nice addition for sure, the Hoth Luke, Lame Hoth Leia and astromech make it tough to stomach...

Now, had they made a "Major Derlin" variation out of a Luke figure (w/new head), and replaced Leia with a semi retooled Hoth footsoldier (Change the legs somehow and give use the upper body of the Deluxe soldier with Saga Han's arms) then I maybe would've been excited over this set.  The astromech's not bad (But why not use R3-T7's body since it's better?) and the Taun Taun is ok, so I'll likely be more excited about this one than the BH set...

No matter what though, this 4-pack idea...  Just like the Cantina Sets and accessory sets...  isn't being given the best treatment, and Hasbro could've done better with the execution of these.

As always, Hasbro has nice ideas that they bungle in one way or another...  From the army-building 4-packs in white boxes to these.  There's always some lil screw-up that makes them not as cool as they COULD have been.

Too bad...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2003, 06:58 PM »
As always, Hasbro has nice ideas that they bungle in one way or another...  From the army-building 4-packs in white boxes to these.  There's always some lil screw-up that makes them not as cool as they COULD have been.

In Hasbro's defense, I can't help but think this has more to do with TRU than anything else. Hasbro doesn't make toys for us, they make toys for the retailers. Retailers are especially hands-on when it comes to exclusive product development, and influence the regular line more than most collectors realize.

The inclusion of Darth Vader deterred me from picking up more than one Imperial Forces set, but it's easy to understand TRU's reluctance to have a set of nothing but second-stringers. Mass market retailers insist on main characters in everything. It's become a necessary evil.

I'm sure Wal-Mart believes their Cantina Sets didn't sell through as hoped because Obi-Wan, Luke, and Chewie weren't in there. ::)
Post sober.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2003, 09:48 PM »
I'm sure Wal-Mart believes their Cantina Sets didn't sell through as hoped because Obi-Wan, Luke, and Chewie weren't in there. ::)

Do you know that a friend of mine actually said that!!?? ???
He was looking through some of my stuff and said, "Where's Chewie and Ben?, You'd think they'd give you a decent character instead of this one"...or something along that line (and no, he doesn't collect Star Wars  :P ).

Beth

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2003, 02:46 AM »
All new aliens with cool articulation and WEAPONS would have made the Cantina sets a much better success.  It was a great concept, but executed poorly.

As for the BH set, everyone has pretty much summed it up for me already why I will be passing on it.  

Count me in for 1 Hoth set, and 2-3 Imperial sets.  If Vader hadn't been included, I am sure I would have gotten 5-10 sets once I got my finances settled.

:P