Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100658 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: DVD Random Musings
« Reply #285 on: March 10, 2004, 02:09 AM »
That's kinda the way I felt after watching the miniseries DVDs. I haven't picked up the Transformers sets; I see no reason to start now.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2004 DVD Release List (UPDATE: LOTR Theatrical Trilogy)
« Reply #286 on: March 10, 2004, 02:11 AM »
“We need materials compelling enough for the überset. Even if we can find and compile those materials, we are looking at something at least a couple of years away. We would make it significantly different. We want consumers to feel it is worth it."

Aw, man. A couple of years?

I guess it's better than cramming them down our throats right away.

SilverZ

« Reply #287 on: March 10, 2004, 03:01 AM »
It would be cool if this happened when/if The Hobbit ever gets made (by Peter Jackson, that is). Though in a few years we'll probably only be interested in the HD-DVD versions.  ;)

SilverZ

« Reply #288 on: March 10, 2004, 04:07 AM »
Snagged from an HTF thread. The Onion strikes again:

Work Begins on Clinton Presidential DVD Library

Clinton said he will personally rate each movie in the collection, but due to time constraints, he will only write full reviews of his absolute favorite movies. Once the museum opens, Clinton will also choose 10 new must-see films for the President's Picks shelf every month.

;D

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #289 on: March 10, 2004, 05:44 AM »
I want the Schindler's DVD as well, but like many of you I can't say I'm excited to see it.  Like the Passion, it's not family fun night.  I guess I'll have to be in the right mood, but it's a great film.  

Looking ahead to 5/25, oy, am I in for it.  The ROTK DVD, Buffy Season 6, and Saving Private Ryan SE.  Oy.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 10, 2004, 08:30 AM »
I picked up Schindler's List last night. I also saw the box set too but no way I'm paying that price!

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #291 on: March 10, 2004, 10:45 AM »
My SuperTarget of course didn't have in "Schindler's List", or the new Divimax "Dawn of the Dead". They do carry "Day ofthe Dead", but I guess that Anchor Bay releases are just hit and miss, and more so tailored for Best Buy.

That said, I got the Romero "Dead" trilogy for $30/shipped through Best Buy's online promotion.

I read about the upcoming "Saving Private Ryan" and "ID4" releases. "SVP" looks to be the same movie, just with 3 additional Spielberg war documentaries.

The "ID4" re-release is incojunction with the theatrical release of "The Day After Tomorrow", and is basically a re-release of the 1st edition, which includes a sneak peak at the movie, and a free movie ticket.

Lookin' forward to next Tuesday, for the guilty pleasure that is the "Cat in the Hat" movie.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 10:45 AM by Cinemaddiction »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #292 on: March 10, 2004, 11:28 AM »
The theatrical versions are not 2-discs are they (cna't remember right now)  I don't think I'll be needing the 6 disc set...and I'm glad the überset is going to be special enough to warrant a wait, no need to buy the Extended Editions again in fancy packaging if that's all it is going to be

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 10, 2004, 12:24 PM »
The TE are two discs, Scott.  The movie is only on one with the extras on the second.  I bought both for FOTR and TTT and won't change for ROTK.  If anything, the TE tides me over until the EE comes out.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #294 on: March 10, 2004, 12:26 PM »
Yeah I buy both sets too, goes to show how much time I spend on extras :P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 10, 2004, 01:53 PM »
The next 'big' releases I'm looking forward to are Big Fish (4/27) and Master and Commander (4/20, maybe).

After that, ROTK, Buffy Season 6, and Angel Season 4, whenever that comes out.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #296 on: March 10, 2004, 03:01 PM »
I'm not a huge DVD buyer...  I honestly don't know what's cheap and what isn't, but I've had an inkling to start buying some TV shows I love...

ST: TNG colleciton
ST: DS9 collection
Dave Attel's Insomniac show
Southpark
and now Chapelle Show too...

Are any of these things running for relatively cheap?  Do DVD's become impossible to find at any point either?

I'm a bit of a DVD newbie I guess...  Only own LOTR and Star Wars so far...  *sigh*
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #297 on: March 10, 2004, 03:19 PM »
Well Chapelle's Show Season 1 is averaging about 19.99 right now and is uncensored. I think it's worth the cost. South Park never seems to drop below 34.99 a season - kinda frustrating.

Insomniac releases right now are "Best of" discs. Would be much better as a season set, so I'm waiting on that one.

Those ST sets are expensive and they haven't really dropped in price.

It's a tough game to play with DVD prices. You usually need to find the right price during the week it's released while on sale, or otherwise it can be a while before a price drop. Once and a while weird good deals pop up online like the Joe set mentioned above. You're much better off starting a collection now though - a lot of catalog titles used to average 20 bucks and up a few years ago, but those same titles are usually in the 9.99 range now. And I wouldn't be concerned about availability. Barring unique circumstances, titles don't go out of print without fair warning, and even then its quite rare. Criterion Collection and some Anchor Bay discs tend to be the only real short-run discs since they license their films from studios, and rights tend to expire. Not that that's even a concern these days, since if there's any sort of demand, whoever owns the rights to a movie will slam that thing back out on disc.

Welcome to the DVD fray though Jesse, you'll soon be addicted too.  8)

Geez, sorry, that got a little long winded.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 10, 2004, 03:21 PM »
I'm confused, now there are two dvd threads?  I pretty much thought Billy's was the unofficial Official DVD thread and anything related goes there.  I guess I like things organized and see no need to have multiple threads like a certain site's *cough*rebelscum*cough* weekly release lists.

But to keep on topic - I hate snapper cases.  Cheap and they don't look right next to the amaray cases that most dvds come in.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #299 on: March 10, 2004, 03:24 PM »
Agreed...I'm going to merge the two threads :-*