Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)  (Read 54930 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2012, 08:10 AM »
Finished ASoS over the weekend and it's my favorite of the three so far.  Had a few things spoiled by reading some of the Westoros Wiki entries for certain dead characters (prior to finishing the book), but that didn't diminish my reading and enjoyment of the book.

Has it been confirmed that this book will be two seasons?  It almost has to be given the length and the amount of **** that happens.  The Red Wedding seems like a nice, but shocking, end to the first season if they go that route.

Can't wait to see this book on the small screen.  Now to sign up for HBO - season 2 starts Sunday.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2012, 08:44 AM »
I just finished A Dance with Dragons during a business trip.  There was a good bit of politics to slog through, but there were also quite a few moments of brilliance.  The last dozen chapters were just breathtaking.  Crazy stuff happens.  Major characters die (surprise surprise).  The reveal in the epilogue was awesome (shocking even though it was hinted at earlier).

Hopefully the last two books don't take as long... especially since it'd kill the TV series.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2012, 08:44 PM »
I just finished A Dance with Dragons during a business trip.  There was a good bit of politics to slog through, but there were also quite a few moments of brilliance.  The last dozen chapters were just breathtaking.  Crazy stuff happens.  Major characters die (surprise surprise).  The reveal in the epilogue was awesome (shocking even though it was hinted at earlier).

Hopefully the last two books don't take as long... especially since it'd kill the TV series.

The political maneuvering in Meereen did drag out for a while.  But the ultimate payoff in the Slaver's Bay storyline has been pretty fantastic.  And it's continuing to get more complicated with Dany's disappearance from the city and new players getting involved there.  It's very difficult to keep the discussion spoiler free though.

A quick blurb from George R.R. Martin about book 6:

So, his interviewer ventures, knowing that this is a delicate subject, how is that sixth book coming? (It's not uncommon for years to pass between instalments.) Any idea when it will be done?

"When it's done," Martin responds, as brusquely as can be managed by someone wearing suspenders, big eyeglasses and a sailor hat. Then he softens a little. "I've given up answering, because I've clearly proved that I'm lousy at estimating these things," he says. "I'm consistently guilty of an excess of optimism, 'Oh it will be out at the end of the year', and I mean it when I say it, but the end of the year comes and goes and I get a thousand emails asking why. So I think it's better now to be like Michelangelo and say it's done when it's done."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:57 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2012, 11:30 PM »
It's very difficult to keep the discussion spoiler free though.

Yeah - I don't even want to mention names since that's a spoiler that someone DIDN'T die in this or a previous book.  And survival is more uncommon than death in this series.   ;)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 4, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Some news from George R.R. Martin about what he lovingly refers to as the map bookThe Lands of Ice and Fire has been turned over to the publishers. 

Another reference / coffee table book called The World of Ice and Fire is in the works.  It features illustrations and elaborates on much of the history that's been referenced over the course of the series of novels.

There's also a new novella in the series of the Dunk & Egg stories on the way. 

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2012, 10:44 AM »
George R.R. Martin, author of "A Game of Thrones", has slammed "Republicans and their Teabagger allies" in so-called swing states for what he calls "voter suppression."

In a recent blogpost on Martin's website, he refers to recent voter purges in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Iowa, saying that "The people behind these efforts at disenfranchising large groups of voters (the young, the old, the black, the brown) are not Republicans, since clearly they have scant regard for our republic or its values. They are oligarchs and racists clad in the skins of dead elephants."

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2012, 11:06 AM »
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS ANYONE'S VIEWS ON VOTER ID LAWS, PLEASE TAKE IT TO THE SARLACC PIT.  That's why it's there.

That will be the end of it in this thread, thanks. - The JD Staff
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:06 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 6, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Just finished "A Storm of Swords". Wow. I really loved the last third of this book. So many twists and turns. Way more than I was expecting!!  On to the next.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 9, 2013, 10:05 AM »
Another sample from 'The Winds of Winter' has been posted by George R.R. Martin!  Tread carefully.

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 9, 2013, 01:10 PM »
I look forward to reading the rest of it in five years...
Common sense isn't so common

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #85 on: January 9, 2013, 01:25 PM »
If you're lucky.  But I don't know... I'm thinking he won't want to derail production of the TV series if he can avoid it.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 9, 2013, 01:36 PM »
I just hope GRRM can close it up at some point.  So many people die only to be replaced by some new character in the new book.  Sometimes I find it hard to keep up with who's who and what has happened to whom that I've almost given up in frustration.  It seems like a boat floating with no sail, no oars and no wind...it goes nowhere.  What started out as a book about the Starks and Lannisters (Baratheon) is almost about none of them now.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #87 on: January 9, 2013, 02:02 PM »
From what I've read he has everything mapped out for the next two books... knows how it will and has mostly written the end.  So I wouldn't worry about it going on forever or anything.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 9, 2013, 02:22 PM »
I read one of GRRM's more recent blog posts.  He seems to be hard at work, writing away.  But I think he's learned his lesson and won't give estimates of when the next Ice & Fire novel will be on it's way.  In his words:

"I'm staying here, to hold down the fort and write. And write, and write, and edit, and write some more. Too much damn work to do, and I am way behind on everything."

Great.  Way behind on everything?  That could mean oh so many things.  I had been hoping that the production schedule for Game of Thrones on HBO might light a fire under his ass for the next two books.  But if HBO is now going to split the books into 2 seasons of television, George may have bought himself an additional 3 years to complete 'The Winds of Winter'.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2013, 02:23 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2013, 06:55 AM »
I don't think both books 4 and 5 would be split into two seasons.  I would think you could get away with either two or three seasons between those two books and I would think those seasons would be combinations of those two books.  Since they are concurrent stories, I don't think viewers would be happy not seeing certain characters for a whole season since they would only be in one book and not the other.