Author Topic: Bandai 1/12 Scale Star Wars Figure Model Kits  (Read 16413 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Bandai 1/12 Scale Star Wars Figure Model Kits
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 01:19 AM »
Not sure if I'll get the shadow trooper...  I need to draw a line somewhere.  That said I ordered the FO stormie and I'm excited for it to arrive.  Hearing a tad more painting involved there but I'm ok with that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Got the FO Trooper in the mail.  Took a while from Japan, but free shipping...  It ultimately cost barely anything more than it would've on HLJ I think, so I'm happy.

Great looking kit...  I mean really, these figure kits are amazing.  My only disappointment is I doubt they do anyone out of a helmet.  :-\  I guess there's the other lines for that, but it's still a bummer.  I think they could do eye decals, and the rest would be minor painting issues I would think.  Washes, or just little things like lip color.  Oh well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 11:04 PM »
Bandai's 1/12 model kits for Rogue One look insanely cool.  Very glad I skipped the Hasbro Death Trooper and K2S0 as I was very tempted...  but knowing they're doing the model kits?  I'm in!

The troopers include the necessities to make officers, grunts, squad leaders...  Lots of hardware too. 

Also they're doing Striker and U-Wing models.  Looks like the small models of these ships also include the hovertank as a mini-kit or base of some sort kind of like the ships coming with Death Star tiles.

http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/special/rogue1.html

It's not a huge roll-out of models but the troopers and K2S0 will be must-haves.

While they're usually easy snap-together builds, and nothing you have to go bonkers with, the more complex deco characters like Boba Fett tend to look a tad too clean and benefit greatly from a good painter.  A figure like a Stormtrooper or Death Trooper appear to just look great out of the gate, as does the Shoretrooper.  Their astromechs are, IMHO, unmatched in the scale...  for poseability/articulation, accessories, customizability, features (opening panels, etc.), and more. 

These are a good way to get into models for kids too.  I don't find them to be something an 8-10 year old couldn't handle without a little help/supervision from the big kid in the house.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 2, 2017, 09:12 AM »
Got Stormie and R5/R2 in the mail today...

Do yourself a favor and order these.  Dare I say, skip getting R2 from Hasbro, get this one.  It looks pretty in-scale to me to the Hasbro figures, and the crispness and details are just vastly superior even if all you do is apply the stickers after you snap the kit together.

I've been debating doing just this in lieu of the Gamestop R5 fiasco... plus these figures are much more in scale with 6 inch figures than Hasbro figures are.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 07:09 PM »
The upcoming Grievous has insert molded joints made, on the sprue, which is insane.  The tech involved with Bandai is quite cool.

Gonna try to get caught up on the kits I want soon I think.  Let these go for a while.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Took me a while but I ordered the K2SO tonight.  Gonna get some Death Troopers for with the Centerpiece Vader I got, leave a dead Stormie on the floor maybe.  I want to mix that scene up.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 01:16 AM »
Bandai has just given me a nudge while I was standing on the 6” figure ledge.

Helmetless characters?  Ugh.  I’m gonna get these for sure.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 09:59 PM »
They look great. I haven't bought anything from this line yet, but the urge is strong.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Their troopers are amazing.  Simply put they’re more poseable and well designed than Hasbro stuff but do require a touch of paint to set them off. The droids less so, and their inclusion of stickers and water slide decals is nice for differing levels of model builders.  The stickers are high quality thin ones too, not typical toy like decals. 

I’m curious how the human heads are done and I’m gonna five in and try them but not expect perfection like multi toned hair color and things.  Still, this looks to be opening a big door on 6” figures for me that I refused to go through with Hasbro.  The figures feel like half hearted efforts from them sometimes.  Other times they seem incredible really...  I thought their K2SO was great for instance, but then like poncho Jyn’s hat is glued on and stuff, or limbs have limited range...  that deters me.

The kits though are all fantastic and I figured it would be mask focused no big deal...  but then their Kylo and Fett had nice non armor looks and now they’re doing this?  Ugh I’m probably gonna be way too into 6” stuff this year.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: June 7, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Looks like maybe some more droid sets are on the way.  R2-Q5 and the Imperial R5 unit we don't even have in 4" scale which is kind of a bummer haha.  Saw what looked like R4-I9 too with R2-D2.  These kits are incredibly well done, so I'll pick both up ultimately.

I'm waiting for more Luke/Han Stormtrooper to hit ebay then picking up both.