Author Topic: MLB 2005  (Read 56430 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: MLB Regular Season - 2005
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2005, 10:19 AM »
Carpenter won again. 

Yeah, he's really dominating in the W-L, K's/9, WHIP, ERA.  Carpenter's got the NL Cy Young all wrapped up.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2005, 10:24 AM »
W-L          ERA         K          Walks        WHIP
17-4         2.29     174           39           0.98

ERA is a bit high on that stat, but it's around 1.07 for the last 9-10 games.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 10:25 AM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2005, 11:12 AM »
Here's a side by side comparison of Carpenter vs. Clemens.  We can forget about Dontrelle Willis at this point:

IP                W-L               K            K/9           WHIP            ERA

Carpenter        196.1          18-4           178          8.16             0.97            2.34

Clemens           178.1          11-6           162          8.18             0.93           1.56

Perhaps it's a little closer than I give Clemens credit for at this point.  The only thing is, Clemens can't win with that kind of record.  Carpenter's a 20 game winner this year.  Clemens won't even approach that.   Though Clemens does have an edge in ERA.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 11:15 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2005, 11:25 AM »
I agree that Clemens has the better ERA overall, but fewer games pictched = more rest.  He should be pitching better.  And I'll stick with the short memory theory: Carpenter is around that 1.07 mark in the last half of his games.  I'm sure Clemens is doing well also, but I'd think the people voting on this are going to be looking at more than just simple stats. 

I'd guess it could go either way.  If Carpenter tanks in the last month and Clemens continues, or the converse occurs, I guess that will decide it.  I'd say those numbers are pretty even given Clemens numbers are based on fewer games. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2005, 11:29 AM »

I'd guess it could go either way.  If Carpenter tanks in the last month and Clemens continues, or the converse occurs, I guess that will decide it.  I'd say those numbers are pretty even given Clemens numbers are based on fewer games. 

That'd really be a big change for the last month to 5 weeks of the season.  That's like Scott's logic that Johan Santana could still win the AL Cy Young.  Yes, Santana can, if he is flawless from here on out.  He has to win every decision, 1 or 2 no decisions or losses will nail the coffin shut.  Santana is hanging by a thread.

Clemens probably has the media/voters on his side.  After all, he's The Rocket.  It's just, if Clemens wins 13 games and Carpenter wins 21, game....set....match.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Carpenter should be a lock for 21 games at least.  He's once a week for pitching, so he's got at least 6 games left.  Can't see him tanking that much, so it should happen. 

I agree though, Clemens has the sentimental vote.  But he does have to pitch more and Carpenter has to become suddenly human.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2005, 05:17 PM »
I would give it to Carpenter at this point.   Clemens is having another great year but he has won it enough times.  Time to give it to someone else.  Plus, I think Carpenter is having a better year anyway. 

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2005, 06:43 PM »
20 years without postseason play, a 19-game losing streak, blunder after blunder after blunder, horrible decisions on the part of upper management year after year...and yet I remain a Royals fan.

But something happened today for the first time ever.  I actually considered giving up on the team permanently.  Just when I think they've done everything they can to lose...they find new ways.  They make it harder and harder to be a Royals fan.

I'm *this* close to saying "**** 'em".  :(

John

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2005, 06:50 PM »
20 years without postseason play, a 19-game losing streak, blunder after blunder after blunder, horrible decisions on the part of upper management year after year...and yet I remain a Royals fan.

But something happened today for the first time ever.  I actually considered giving up on the team permanently.  Just when I think they've done everything they can to lose...they find new ways.  They make it harder and harder to be a Royals fan.

I'm *this* close to saying "**** 'em".  :(

John

I feel your pain John.  I haven't quite gotten to that point of giving up on the Rangers, but a series of non-trades and sub par off seasons really has me wondering what the **** Tom Hicks is trying to do with the team.  He picks up Phil Nevin at the trade deadline, and trades away a pitcher...while the Rangers still has some chance to get the wildcard.  Then instead of sending Nevin packing, he hangs on to him.  I first thought because of that trade, Nevin would go to Boston (who claimed earlier to need a bat), in exchange for Bronson Arroyo.  (I believe I heard that rumor somewhere.)

Then a two weeks ago, Hicks tells the media he is giving up for the season and the Rangers proceed to go on a 1-12 road trip.

I truly feel your pain John.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2005, 07:15 PM »
The only thing the Rangers have ever done to try to correct the pitching problem of their's is sign Chan Ho Park to a $13 million contract, and that didn't really pay off.  They've always had a scary offense with no pitching.  Bullpen's not bad, just the starting pitching.  At any rate, that division of their's is loaded with the Halos and A's, so until they get a coupla good starters, forget it.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2005, 08:38 AM »
Very true.  What is really frustrating is this season, they hung there hopes on a 41 year old prima donna.  I don't think a lot of the stuff Kenny Rogers does makes it into the national news.  The guys is probably the biggest baby in baseball.

It was sadt that Chan was signed for $13 million.  He was never that good and he's a flyball pitcher.  A flyball pitcher will get knocked out of the yard down here.  Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, it wouldn't hurt to trade a bat or two for two quality young starters.  If the Rangers want to hang onto Kenny, let them, but make him the #4 starter next year.  But his contract is up after this season and I can only pray he doesn't get resigned.

I had high hopes when the season started.  For Christmas 2004, my wife bought me half season tickets (40 games).  It was great earlier in the season thinking that playoff tickets were a possiblility, but then the decent starting pitching we were getting went in the tank.  Chris Young though has come along well and I'm guessing will be a number 2 starter next year.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2005, 08:52 AM »
That infield is the best in the major leagues though. 

The only thing is, instead of having A-Rod, I-Rod, Palmerio, and Juan Gone and no pitching, now you've got Teixeira, Soriano, Young, and Blalock...and no pitching.

I think they should be able to give up Soriano for some decent pitching, and then sign a big free agent as well.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2005, 03:15 PM »
I know this will sound a bit hypocritical after I've been bitching about pitching, but I'd hate to give up Soriano.  But, in the interest of pitching an a probably $10 million a year for Alfie I could swing it.  I think another way of looking at trading, would be Kevin Mench, although a fan favorite, because he hasn't developed quite like the Rangers had hoped.  There is also Laynce Nix, a tremendous center fielder, but a little slow with the bat.

However, Hicks has the cash to pay Alfie and to pick up a pitcher, he's just been too much of a tight ass to do so...I mean, come one, the guy owns the Rangers and the Dallas Stars!!  Hicks has the money to lure someone here, he just has to pick the right one.  Also, firing John Hart would be a good move.  GM Hart has been an assclown since he got here and doens't seem to understand pitching=winning in baseball.  Hart did the same thing with Cleveland in the 90's, built the team around an offense...which is great and can win many games, but will do nothing for you when the hitting goes cold for 2 or 3 weeks or you get into the playoffs and everyone except you can pitch.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Yeah but from what I gather, Soriano isn't gonna sign with the Rangers again anyhow.  He is one of my favorite players (Yankee fan here).  They should boost the starting pitching bigtime, and deal Soriano for a quality starter (somebody that another team will fear every 5th day), and magnify that gain by signing a 2nd starting pitcher of similar quality.  AJ Burnett, for example, is very get-able.

The Rangers with 2 Burnett-level starters, Cordero closing, and Blalock, Young, Teixeira at the top of the order will be a very strong team.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 9, 2005, 02:11 PM »
Sentimental vote or not, Carpenter deserves this thing:

Carpenter has started 22 games in a row in which he allowed three runs or fewer while pitching six innings, the longest stretch of consecutive quality starts in the NL since Bob Gibson also did it 22 straight times in 1968.

21-4 Overall.  13-0 in his last 16 starts with a 1.36 ERA :o