Author Topic: 2005 DVD Thread  (Read 71518 times)

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
Re: 2005 DVD Thread
« Reply #270 on: October 19, 2005, 04:33 PM »
I picked up The Big Lebowski Collector's Edition yesterday at Best Buy for $12.99 . Its got some cool special features, including an exclusive introduction, behind the scenes, and photos taken by Jeff Bridges during the production. I would have liked it to have some more special features, like footage from the Big Lebowski "conventions" or deleted scenes, but "the Dude abides"  8)
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 19, 2005, 05:08 PM »
On the subject of the Big Lebowski DVD - again...

The one I picked up yesterday does say 118 minutes on it for the run-time.
The older one that I traded in said 98 minutes.

I know I keep asking, but  has anyone heard anything new about this?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 19, 2005, 05:53 PM »
Boy, I don't know Rob - if it did indeed have the extra footage, they would've called it out on the package art.  It'd be the only redeeming feature of the DVD.  I'm a huge fan of the movie and I'm passing.

My vote would be no to the extended version.  In regards to the running time, could be a typo.

Or you could just watch the movie to see if anything is new!   8)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 19, 2005, 08:36 PM »

My latest purchase. What a fantastic set! You get a phenominal film, interesting extras, and a comic book to boot!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

SilverZ

« Reply #274 on: October 19, 2005, 08:53 PM »
I'd have been able to confirm the run time of Big Lebowski since I sat down to watch it last night, but...

For god's sake, I bought the Pan&Scan version from Target.  >:( It’s in red type against the black background at the bottom of the box, I was in a hurry, and honestly I didn’t even know they had bothered with a cropped version of the movie.

What really sucks is I opened it up, ran it, and didn't realize it until the "modified for television screens' message appeared. Imagine my horror since this was the first movie I'd sat down to watch on the projector/screen since my move -- I'd just finished the day-long project of getting the screen back up in the new place, and The Dude was to be my inaugural viewing.

So I still don’t know if anything has changed, but there has been zero discussion of additions, as I mentioned. Nothing. It has to be a typo.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 19, 2005, 09:09 PM »

For god's sake, I bought the Pan&Scan version from Target.

What really sucks is I opened it up, ran it, and didn't realize it until the "modified for television screens' message appeared. Imagine my horror since this was the first movie I'd sat down to watch on the projector/screen since my move

I made the same mistake when I bought Attack of the Clones.  It wasn't until that dreaded "modified for television screens" message showed on the screen that I realized my stupid move.  It's for this reason that I just may wait for a Prequel Trilogy boxset to come out before I actually get ROTS.   ::)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Put it to rest - the new Lebowski DVD does NOT have extended footage:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/spinsheet102105.html

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2005, 12:14 PM »
You guys that have accidentally bought these pan-and-scan DVDs--are you actually keeping them?  You're not trying to take them back to the store, or selling them on eBay, or giving them to a family member you don't like? 

Have never accidentally bought a non-OAR disc, but if I did, there'd be no way in hell I'd just say "oh well, them's the breaks."  I'd be back at the store in a heartbeat to get the proper version.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

« Reply #278 on: October 21, 2005, 01:24 PM »
Keep it? Hell no, it's going back. Though I've been putting it off since I know it will be a struggle at the CS counter and my patience for that sort of thing is at an all time low.

I've never made the mistake before and still feel like a tool for not noticing. I guess I'm just not that focused on DVDs anymore and need to pay more attention when I actually pick stuff up.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2005, 02:32 PM »
I only mistakenly bought foolscreen twice - American Pie and Oceans 11.  Didn't realize on AP until after I opened it.  I figured, what the hell, it's already opened, I'll watch it anyway.  Took it back to Best Buy the next day and exchanged it (with a little hassle, but nothing major).

For Ocean's 11, I traded my foolscreen for my sister's widescreen.  She "mistakenly" bought ws, decided she hated the black bars  ::), so it was an easy trade.  I tried to educate her, but she didn't want to listen.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 02:51 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 21, 2005, 02:38 PM »
I still dont understand why they even make fullscreen.  Especially with what the future holds.  I still have people argue with me that widescreen detracts from the experience and you get less of a movie, when its actually the opposite.  In about 10 years when the whole media experience has changed over to HD and WS viewing alot of people are going to feel like such tools for having them in the first place.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2005, 02:43 PM »
Anyone pick up the new version of The Outsiders last month? Coppola released The Outsiders - The Complete Novel, a 2-disc set with 22 minutes of original footage edited back into the movie. It's got a whole new rock 'n' roll soundtrack, too, where before it had more orchestral music. It's got a lot of great extras, too: a documentary; interviews with Coppola, cast and the author of the novel; an old Today Show report about how a highschool class wrote to petition Coppola to make a movie because they enjoyed the book so much. It's a really great release. The movie really benefits from the cut footage being reintegrated.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2005, 05:27 PM »
every year for my bday and for xmas someone gets me something in fullscreen.  fortunately if you don't open it neither target or walmart even require a receipt for an exchange.  apparently it happens so often that they don't even blink anymore.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2005, 06:22 PM »
every year for my bday and for xmas someone gets me something in fullscreen.

Simply forward the following story to those folks, and problem solved.

Non-Widescreen Version Of DVD Received As Hanukkah Gift

BROOKLYN, NY—Self-described film buff Tyler Rosenstein was disappointed to receive a non-letterboxed “full screen” version of the movie The Matrix Reloaded as a Hanukkah gift, the 19-year-old reported Monday.

“Great,” said Rosenstein, concealing his displeasure from his beaming aunt and uncle, Hannah and Bernie Greenberg, as he gazed at the freshly unwrapped DVD in his hand. “Just what I wanted. The Matrix Reloaded.”

“With approximately a third of the movie’s visual content missing, thanks to ‘pan-and-scan,’” he added under his breath.

Rosenstein, a freshman studying philosophy at NYU, said he was momentarily excited to receive the special collector’s edition DVD of The Matrix Reloaded, which features more than an hour of supplemental material, including behind-the-scenes footage and a preview of the Enter The Matrix video game. But Rosenstein’s joy faded when his eye caught the words “full-screen edition” emblazoned across the top of the box.

Minutes later, Rosenstein’s cousin Cory made an exchange of the gift impossible when he insisted that Rosenstein open the DVD to show him the “easter egg.”

While Rosenstein thanked his aunt and uncle for the gift, he took leave of the family get-together shortly after dinner and locked himself in his room to sulk.

“It’s frustrating, because they came so close to getting me exactly what I wanted,” said Rosenstein, lying on his bed and sneering at the DVD. “This is a $30 item. But what am I supposed to do with it? Why would they even release a full-screen Matrix Reloaded, when every single frame of that movie is so artfully composed? Even leaving framing aside, the movie cries out for each of its visual elements to be seen.”

“It’s an unwatchable piece of crap,” said Rosenstein, tossing the DVD onto a pile of gifts that included a sweatshirt and a digital memo recorder.

In spite of his annoyance with the non-letterboxed DVD, Rosenstein said he knew better than to complain to his relatives.

“There’s just no way to tell them without coming off like a complete *******,” Rosenstein said. “I’m just going to have to eat it.”

The Greenbergs remain unaware of their mistake.

“We’re so happy that we were able to get Tyler a gift he really wanted this year,” Hannah Greenberg said. “You wouldn’t believe how hard he is to shop for. He’s so picky about his movies. For his birthday, we gave him The Wedding Singer. I thought all the kids liked that Adam Sandler—Cory said he sings a song about Hanukkah. Well, boy, was getting Tyler that movie a mistake!”

This year, instead of guessing, the Greenbergs took a suggestion from Rosenstein’s father, who was aware that his son owned the first Matrix movie.

“Tyler’s got very specific tastes,” Bernie said. “He told us he likes those foreign films. What did he call it? The Criterion Collection. Well, Hannah and I tried to find those, but they didn’t have them at Target. We sure didn’t want what happened with the wizard movie to happen again.”

Bernie spoke in reference to last year, when the Greenbergs came close to finding a gift Rosenstein would like. The misguided couple gave their nephew the theatrical-release version of Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring, instead of the extended version which contains 40 extra minutes of footage—a distinction Rosenstein gently explained to the confused gift-givers.

“If we’d known, we’d have been happy to get him the other version,” Hannah said. “Well, this time we were very careful. There were two versions at the store, and we made sure to get the special one. See, Tyler hates it when they cut out part of the movie.”

Confusion over the misleading term “full-screen” caused his well-meaning relatives to purchase the inferior version of the DVD.

“Why do they call it ‘full-screen’ anyway, when it’s only two-thirds of the stupid movie?” Rosenstein asked. “******* bull**** aspect ratio!”

As of press time, Rosenstein had not decided what to do with the DVD.

“I can’t trade it to any of my friends,” Rosenstein said. “They’d just roll their eyes when they saw it wasn’t letterboxed. Basically, I’m screwed. I’m stuck with a product that has no reason to exist.”

“I suppose I could just throw it away,” Rosenstein continued. “But what if Aunt Hannah or Uncle Bernie asked about it? I’ll probably have to just keep this horrible thing on my shelf. I’m trapped, like Neo and the other warriors of Zion, in a fictitious world I never chose to be a part of: an imaginary alternate universe where non-widescreen DVDs are remotely tolerable.”

« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 07:06 PM by Bill Cosby »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 21, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Hahaha! Is that an Onion?