Author Topic: 2005 DVD Thread  (Read 71596 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 DVD Thread
« Reply #420 on: November 15, 2005, 02:48 PM »
I was tempted to get Madagascar too, but money's kind of tight and we haven't got a chance to see it yet to see if we wanted to buy it.

I'd consider it a safe buy.  I've seen it twice at the theater because my daughter just loves it - I actually enjoyed it more the second time.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 19, 2005, 02:29 AM »
I purchased it at work. Pretty sweet deal, too. $17 with my discount, and it's part of a bundle deal. Get the DVD for $19.99 and recieve a bottle of pop, a candy bar, and 2 bags of popcorn for free. That's at Hollywood Video, by the way.

BTW, the "bonus" discs at Wal Mart, featuring the Penguins Christmas short movie, feature it in Fullscreen. The regular DVD release, including the short, is in Widescreen. Just a head's up.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 19, 2005, 01:03 PM »
Madagascar was only $14.99 at Best Buy - came with a 3$ off coupon for WOW too.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 20, 2005, 02:20 AM »
Add tax, and it was a $1 difference between Best Buy and what I paid. Got $5 worth of free stuff, and helped my store win portable DVD players for the entire staff by purchasing a giftcard to buy it. Never going to watch, much less buy, the atrocity that is Spielberg's WOTW.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 20, 2005, 02:34 AM »
Yeah, but I can't wait to buy that atrocity.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 22, 2005, 03:46 PM »
Went a little nutty this week:

Today:

From Deep Discount DVD:

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 22, 2005, 06:37 PM »
Just "King Kong" and "Alien Vs Predator" 2 Disc UR DC for me.

Speaking of going nutty..just bought an XBox, along with Halo, Halo 2 Two Disc LE, The Warriors, Escape from Butcher Bay, Mortal Kombat: Deception LE, Super Monkey Ball, and Need for Speed: Most Wanted, as well as a Gamecube w/ Super Mario Party 7 all in the past week.

Picked up "Dead Next Door" for $5 as well. Next weeks the killer with the Muppet movies, CSI, Penguins, Sky High, & King Kong vs Godzilla.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 06:38 PM by Cinemaddiction »

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #427 on: November 23, 2005, 12:15 AM »
I picked up the AVP 2-disc set today.  Haven't watched any extras yet, but I watched the movie tonight.  Extra scenes = pretty good.  A little bit of character and story development that was left out of the theatrical version.  Nothing groundbreaking, but nicely done.  On the other hand...Extra violence & gore = give me a ******* break.  Using CGI to burgandy up the bloody scenes just looked ridiculous. 

John

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 26, 2005, 02:50 AM »
Any "Black Friday" scores? I got Doom 3 on XBox for $9.99 at CC, but missed Target's $18.99 MOH: EA. They were out of "Anchorman", not that I needed it, and were offering something called an "instant raincheck", where you could get a select (title named on card) new release for a $0.99 difference, so I got "The Skeleton Key" for $7.99 which I was ecstatic about.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 02:51 AM by Cinemaddiction »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 26, 2005, 01:20 PM »
I slept in, but when I went grocery shopping at Target before buying a christmas tree in the evening, they still had copies of Shark Tale for $5.88 - minus the $3.00 coupon that came with Madagascar.  I also bought Medal of Honor European Assault (Xbox) for $18.88.

They also still had copies of simpsons season 6 for $17.88 and Family Guy Season 3 (Volume 2) which I just ran back out and picked up.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 03:13 PM by Rob »

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 26, 2005, 02:56 PM »
Wasn't expecting to buy anything at Target but surprised to see the three Harry Potter dvds and Shark Tale for $5.88 each. Haven't seen any of these yet and the price makes up for the time I inadvertently bought the FF version of Shark Tale when it first came out.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #431 on: November 26, 2005, 10:22 PM »
Recent buys:

War of the Worlds
Family Guy - Stewie's Movie
Monty Pyton's Holy Grail

Best purchase:

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 1 - I only saw this show for the first time last month or so, liked it so much I went out and bought the first season to try and catch up.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 27, 2005, 11:28 AM »
Geeze, you went a lot nutty this week Rob. :P

I just bought The Polar Express for my daughter and completely forgot to look for King Kong. Thanks for the reminder.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 28, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Although we were Christmas shopping for others on Black Friday, we couldn't pass up a few of the DVD sales at Target while we were there.  Picked up the first Harry Potter movie (didn't have it yet) for $5.88, Family Guy Volume 2 for $17.88, and LOST: Season 1 for $30.00.  Some really nice deals on some box sets it seemed, and we picked up Simpsons: Season 6 for my brother for Christmas for $17.88 as well.  Not much up this week I don't think, although I'd like to pick up Family Guy: Volume 3...might have to wait on that after all the Christmas spending lately.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 29, 2005, 09:41 AM »
I picked up the 1933 King Kong yesterday and couldn't wait to watch it. I  think it's the first time I've seen it in more than twenty years.

Was also tempted to pick up the original War of the Worlds, but I have to let my familiy pick up something they know I want for christmas. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."