Author Topic: Spanish Magazine Scan: Death Star  (Read 4203 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Spanish Magazine Scan: Death Star
« on: March 26, 2005, 12:49 PM »
Posted at Nightly.Net   :o   8)

From a Spanish Magazine: Art by Ryan Church.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Magazine Scan: Death Star
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 03:49 PM »
Kewl, glad they're showing it under construction
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 10:31 AM »
Kewl, glad they're showing it under construction

I dunno - you mean to tell me it takes them close to 20 years to go from that to a completed space station?

Wow - contractors for the Empire are slow.

Has the EU ever spilled the beans on when construction of the second Death Star began?

If you put this image in context with the fact that the station had just gone fully operational in EP4 then that means it took them roughly 18 years (based on Luke and Leia's ages) to get to that point.

There are roughly four years between ANH and ROTJ. So that means that the second Death Star should begin construction around seven to eight years after ROTS.

I always got the impression that the Empire didn't start construction until AFTER the first one was destroyed, but based on a close to 20 year construction requirement, that would be a VERY foolish assumption.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 01:32 PM »
I've heard theories that they were built concurrently one public while the other was done in secret.

Although that contradicts Mon Mothma's speech during the briefing scene where she states that they have learned the Empire has started building a "new" 2nd Death Star

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 01:38 PM »
Maybe Papatine used the power of Six Sigma to streamline his processes for Death Star Construction?

You know, all of his "process improvements" added up allowed him to reach a much tighter construction entitlement of only 3-4 years instead of 18 years?   :P

I imaginge that once you build ONE Death Star, you've got all the kinks worked out and can do a much better job the second time around...?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 01:41 PM »
I've heard theories that they were built concurrently one public while the other was done in secret.

Although that contradicts Mon Mothma's speech during the briefing scene where she states that they have learned the Empire has started building a "new" 2nd Death Star

I don't think it contradicts the line. If it was built in secret, then Mon Mothma wouldn't have known about it until she got the information about it from the Bothans, making her think that it was new.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 07:05 PM »
I still can't believe people are that bothered about the DS being shown under construction.  People act like that is not realistic.  Well, this is a Star Wars movie people.  You would think that is the coolest if you were a little kid.  Admit it. 

Who knows?  Maybe the labor unions went on strike or the techno union was really hurt by Wat Tambor's early demise at the hands of Anakin - er - Vader.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 06:15 PM »
I still can't believe people are that bothered about the DS being shown under construction.  People act like that is not realistic.  Well, this is a Star Wars movie people.  You would think that is the coolest if you were a little kid.  Admit it. 

Who knows?  Maybe the labor unions went on strike or the techno union was really hurt by Wat Tambor's early demise at the hands of Anakin - er - Vader.

Don't get me wrong - I'm totally stoked that we get to see the DS under construction in this movie. For me I'm just wondering about the second one and when construction of it starts. Also - realize that it was ONLY plans at the time of AOTC - so in three years it's gone from nothing to this. Not bad progress IMHO.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 02:46 AM »
It should certainly be noted that the image everyone's been eying is from The Art Of Revenge Of The Sith, and not the movie itself.  The Death Star as we see it in the movie could be in a less complete state than the way Ryan Church illustrated this image.

As for it taking some time to complete...it's the first time that one is being built.  Building something like that is going to take a considerable ammount of time to engineer.  Building a second one after the first has been completed is going to be a considerably easier task since the actual plan to build the Death Star has been seen through.  Still, I think the second Death Star's construction was well underway when the first was destroyed.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: April 5, 2005, 01:32 PM »
Seriously people, the Empire is building a ******* moon. It should take 18 years or so at the very least. As it is, the idea of building a moon skates along the edge of my suspension of disbelief.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 04:07 PM »
Think about it this way - the first Death Star probably would have taken much longer to build.  It was a new type of space station that was unlike anything the galaxy had ever seen.  Also, after ROTS, construction probably slowed down as it was not necessary to get this thing finished so fast.  It was probably complete though a little while before ANH - it just wan't in active military use.  Probably held in secret by Palpatine for a time when he thought might need it.

Then, after the first one gets blown up - Palpatine has the Empire use nearly all of its resources building a second one so fast that it might actually contribute to the demise of the Empire - focusing on just one major thing instead of routing out the Rebels and controlling their borders.

In my Star Wars fantasy world, the second one was being put together much quicker, they already knew the basics of building one, etc.  Plus, even though it was functional as an operational weapon, it still looked to be a few years away from being totally complete (the second one probably was not lightspeed capable yet); they needed to finish a lot of final touches, etc, etc, etc.

:P

Offline Imperial Outpost

• Youngling
  • I'm not a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 05:23 AM »
I realise that it isn't chronologically viable for the Empire to spent 20 years on the first Death Star, and then knock the second one out in a couple o' years, but however you explain it - it's gonna look cool!

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 08:55 PM »
We have to acknowledge, I think, that construction on this DS is not really at a slow pace at all.

Just look at it, it's got it's big gun already in place, the central core, the trenches are complete, it's skeletal outer shape is there, and that in what, 2-2.5 years?

That seems rather fast in my book. I doubt they take a back-burner for the next 20 years.

Also remember, they're churning out all that hardware we see in the OT as well during construction of this DS.

And, just to toss in an idea, who says this isn't the Death Star of ROTJ instead of the one in ANH?

We all asume this is the first, but...is it?

[EDIT]On second thought, there's too much complete on those upper and lower halves that were not there in the ROTJ DS, so probably this is the first from ANH.

Still, would've steered the discussion in a whole new direction... ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 08:58 PM by Herbert_Ackermans »