Author Topic: Counting Up the Star Wars "Lines"  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Counting Up the Star Wars "Lines"
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 10:04 AM »
You know, after seeing the offerings shown at Toy Fair this weekend, it really seems like Star Wars is getting spread pretty thing.  Don't get me wrong, I really like all the "cool" collectibles that are out there now (or coming up) for Star Wars, because its my favorite movie(s), and it is always nice seeing it get attention and product lines, but it is starting to get overexposed now it seems.  Hasbro even in particular has too much coming out this year, and I'm not sure the market can support everything:

3 3/4" Basic Figure Line (Vehicles, Beasts, Deluxe, etc.)
12" Figure Line
6" Jedi Force Line
7" Force Battlers Line
Unleashed Line
Galactic Heroes Line
Attacktix Line

Not to mention other licensees (Gentle Giant, miniatures, etc.).  Lots out there to collect this year, and I know I can't afford it all (nor do I necessarily want it all).  Hasbro especially seems to not be able to decide what to do with some lines.  Jedi Force and Force Battlers seem to be essentially the same scale/market (although a bit different in appearance), but can the toy aisle really support both?  Then you throw in Galactic Heroes, Attacktix, and the "regular" figure line....I'm not sure it all can exist together.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 05:22 PM »
The only things that have been coming to my mind when I see the pile of inevitable clearance garbage ummmm **** various items of dubious nature that are coming out this year is how much it reminds me of other "marketable entities."

If you're easily offended, please skip this part of the post now.

Hello Kitty and the Sanrio characters show up on some really odd items in Asia, including condoms and *ahem* "marital aids."  And yes, I have (regrettably) seen both of these.  But hey, they could do a special campaign with Star Wars I guess: either a special line of "martial aids" with lightsaber hilts as the bases in various colors, or prophilactics with the warning, "Use the Force of Trojan or wind up with younglings you will."   :o

KISS, music aside, but more specifically Gene Simmons, seems to be willing to put their name on anything these days.  Just when you think Gene has done it all, you see the KISS casket.  Maybe they can make a Star Wars casket that has a camoflage action so when they close it, it disappears so you can become one with the Force.  Or they can do special runs where they actually encase your body in a carbonite (yes, I know it's not real; maybe another molten liquid) block.  Only 4000 dollars at StarWarsShop.com, although good luck getting ahold of someone to actually order one.

Yeah, those are a little outlandish, but whenever I see Darth Vader water sprinklers or Jar Jar tongue candy, I remind myself that it could be far worse. :)

Now to actually contribute to the topic, lest we forget the Epic Force fiasco of 1997-1998.  As much as I would like to forget those, it was Hasbro's first of many unsuccessful ventures into the "mid-sized" action figure world, and was probably only surpassed in head slapping badness by the three POTJ-era "large action figures" of Obi-Wan, Maul, and the Droideka (there was a name for this line, but I can't recall what it was).  Not an ongoing line, but it's still a part of SW toy history (and I am very thankful for that).

« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 05:29 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 04:22 PM »
Time to drag this guy back up again...

Habsro, Hasbro, Hasbro... what am I going to do with you? ::)

After this summer, you're choosing to water down the license EVEN MORE?  What the heck are you trying to do?

Star Wars Transformers?
Titanium Forged?
Star Wars Choppers?

What else can you smash together with the Star Wars Brand to water it down even further.

How long before we see:

Star Wars - My Little Pony!  Amidala and Leia ride ponies with real-feel hair!  Woo-Hoo!

Star Wars - Littlest Pet Shop!  Tiny little SW Creatures you can care for!  Don't miss the awesome baby rancor 3-pack ot the exciting dewback zoo playset!

Star Wars Bratzz!  Leia and Amidala get "jiggy wit it" and funk up the SW Universe!  Don't forget to add Pimpin' Hos Han and Street Corner Luke!

Star Wars Pokemon!  Join Ash and Luke as they enter the Imperial Poke-Battle!  I choose you, Chewbac-ator!

::)  Enough is enough! 

Too many lines = too much Star Wars products = collectors have to pick and choose = lines lose support = lines die!  When next spring rolls around and all the retailers are "Star Wars-ed" out, we'll have Hasbro to thank, so THANKS!   >:(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 11:42 PM »
Star Wars Chia Pets would ROCK!

CHEWWWWIE!!!!

or the Star Wars Pet Rock?!
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 09:15 AM »
Enough is enough!

Too many lines = too much Star Wars products = collectors have to pick and choose = lines lose support = lines die!  When next spring rolls around and all the retailers are "Star Wars-ed" out, we'll have Hasbro to thank, so THANKS!   

I agree 100%.  As much as I like Star Wars, I'm getting tired of all the different product lines that are either out, or rumored to be coming out.  I really have a tough time believing the majority of these lines do well, and in the long run its just going to hurt the franchise overall...hurt Hasbro by failing/losing retail support, and hurt collectors by us losing our line.  Its been said a number of times, but Hasbro really needs to stick to the basics and scale things in a little bit.  Put the majority of their focus in the 3 3/4" line and all that accompanies it (ships/beasts/playsets/etc.), and then focus in on one great "collector oriented" line (which 3 3/4" should/could be) like 7" Unleashed (which is leaving) and then a line for the kiddies (Galactic Heroes seems like the best choice).  I really think things would be better overall for the company and collectors/kids alike if they went this route.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 4, 2005, 03:02 PM »
You know, I thought with the ROTS hype dying down as 2005 continued on, we'd be looking towards at least a slightly more streamlined brand for 2006, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  We've got quite a few new lines coming up, including Transformers, Titanium Figures and other related lines, "little" Unleashed, those wretched Chopper things, and a few I'm sure I'm forgetting.  Aside from that, I don't know that many of the lines that popped up this year (or previous) are really going away, aside from the larger Unleashed (at least for now), which seemed to be one of the few offshoot lines that people really enjoyed.  I'd definitely like to see things simmer down a little bit, hopefully after some failures at retail, Hasbro can "trim the fat" and get back to the core, basic line, and just a couple others that seem to fit in.