Author Topic: Too Much Stuff?  (Read 13518 times)

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: Too Much Stuff?
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 06:20 PM »
It's an affliction that a lot SW collectors have in common: the plastic disease.  It's the uncontrollable compulsion and urge to purchase anything stamped with a Star Wars logo.  It leads to rooms filled with Star Wars crap someone probably wouldn't have bought if they were sober.  I mean, is there really a need to pick up a dozen versions of Darth Vader?  And Chewie?  Did he ever change costumes throughout the trilogy?!  And is there really a need to pick up figures of characters that had a nano-second of screen time?  Limits, people.  Limits.  And control.       
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2007, 06:55 PM »
meh....It's really sad when you buy a new figure, or a wave of new figures for that matter and just stick them in a box and send them off to storage to make room for the next batch of crap.  Rinse...wash...repeat.  That's been how I've been collecting SW toys since ROTS simply because I don't have room for any one line in my current living situation.  All of these Target exclusives really just put me over the top this year - obviously the huge BP's don't help here.

I've been a carded/boxed collector since 01 up until halfway through Legends.  All of these variations just really starting questioning my collecting habits.  I'm on the fence about opening everything and selling half/most of my collection or just stopping all together and maybe picking this line up again in a few more years down the road.  Mind you I also have Transformers, Robotech, M.A.S.K., GI Joe, and McFarlane stuff but most of those are all loose except for my Spawn/Matrix stuff.

Limits, people.  Limits.  And control.       

Easier said than done with OCD my friend.  :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 2, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Just bumping up this old topic again.  I got to thinking about this more again after finding the large winged TIE fighter at TRU over the weekend.  I was happy to get this vehicle, as I had to pass on it on previous releases, and I think it will look nice alongside the new Falcon, and the larger scaled X-Wing (and other ships).  I got it home and took it into our office/collection room and simply didn't have anywhere for it to go.  It is going to lead to another re-arranging or packing away project, which seems to be more prevalent lately.  For the most part, I've always been able to have pretty much everything on display - but that's starting to change after years of buying this stuff.  I kind of hate the idea of just having things packed away in boxes, but it seems like many of us here have to do just that.  I'm at that crossroads again of wondering what I should do.  Getting more display space isn't likely (I'm probably lucky to have the room that I do), and things are getting maxed out in here.  I've always liked the more clean/uncluttered look to a collection, and I'm getting further away from that all the time.

The obvious solution is "buy less crap dummy", but sometimes that's easier said that done.  Star Wars would be bad enough, but I've branched out into other lines over the years as well.  It seems like that happens to many (most?) of us, and I'm impressed with those who can stick to one area (or even better, one line).  Right now, in our office, I have various figures from Star Wars, Marvel Legends, DCUC, Indiana Jones, G.I. Joe, a couple Transformers, LOTR, 7" Unleashed, and other various items (SW glasses, GH, etc.)  That's a bit crazy I suppose.  Honestly, I think the vehicles take up the most room, but I really like those as well.  I've thought about going OT only (at least with vehicles), but I don't know if I could part with some of the PT ones I really like (Gunship, ARC 170, Jedi Starfighters).  Not to mention the neat stuff coming up with CW (AT-TE, V-19, etc.)

Anyways, I guess its the same ole situation, but sometimes it feels good to vent to those who understand.  I sometimes think to non-collectors, the simple solution is "get rid of it and stop buying stuff", but its not always that easy it seems.  Has the sheer amount of stuff (and how long the lines have gone on) brought you to avoid larger items, get rid of large chunks of your collections, or just packing most of it away at this point?  The item I'm looking forward to more than anything for a long time, the BMF Falcon, is on the way and I have no idea where I will put it.  Something has got to change, but its hard to know what to do.  I'm just curious what some others have done, or are considering doing, at this point.  Why should toys be this difficult to pack up and get rid of anyways :P?

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 2, 2008, 12:22 PM »
I was a carded completist for alot of years. Buy em. Put em away, a la the Raiders ending. Then after buying the 57th version of Darth Vader or Cantina Han Solo I realized that it wasn't fun anymore just to buy something for the sake of buying it. So, once the wife and I moved to a bigger place and had a large area to display everything, I made a decision to only collect certain things. I am a huge Clone Wars and EU fan, so I basically said that's all I will collect. Some Episode 2 and 3 figures, and the occasional OT figure. I sold the rest and now only buy certain era figures. And you know what? I'm alot happier now. The main thing to remember is to buy what you like and what you want. Not for the sake of buying it, but because you like it.  If you are a completist, then by all means continue to do so. Collect for fun is the best motto I can say....

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #49 on: June 2, 2008, 12:32 PM »
i completely understand where your coming from. my collection is spread across 2 states, some in storage, some at parents house, and the more current stuff in my current place. lol.

In the past year i went complete opener after years of keeping everything carded. Also i try to not buy any multiple sculpts, and I'm even trying to cut down on picking up anymore main characters, Luke, r2, etc. Later this month i will be taking a trip to storage and will be sorting through my carded collection. Most of it i figure will be sold or traded.

I collect the basic line, the mighty muggs, sideshow 12", The GG Animated statues, and now the indy line. I've been tempted to start the marvel muggs, but i just remember how much stuff is coming at the end of July. I'll be picking up the at-te for sure as well as the animated clone war figures.

the BMF Falcon has me thinking about unloading my saga one from a few years ago. although I'm sure alot of people will be doing that so I'm not sure it will be worth it. lol.

I think the real trick is to try to collect what you enjoy the most without feeling like you have to be a completest. like said in previous posts "Easier said than done" :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 2, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Problem?  What problem?

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 2, 2008, 03:46 PM »
Mine's better....I have live tropical fish.

Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 2, 2008, 03:50 PM »
The same damn shuttle box in both pics.  What're the odds?   :D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 2, 2008, 04:01 PM »
The same damn shuttle box in both pics.  What're the odds?   :D

It must be fate   :-* 

I'll get some updated pics posted soon and that should really scare some of you into downsizing your collections.   :-\

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 2, 2008, 04:03 PM »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 2, 2008, 08:39 PM »
Mine's better....I have live tropical fish.

In my quirky own way, I think a bunch of boxed SW toys ouzing out of storage unit is as impressive as a nicely displayed collection inside a hobby room.  Imagine all the numerous cool toys in that unit!  Toy heaven!  Looks like you're running out of room, what are you going to do next?  Don't forget to feed the fish.   ;)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 3, 2008, 08:15 AM »
 :o

Wow.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 3, 2008, 11:07 AM »
Wow! You guys take credit card debt to a whole new level!  :o
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 3, 2008, 02:58 PM »
Yeah, I definitely don't have that much stuff either - and unfortunately we don't really have the basement set up to allow for that type of storage either (that would help).  Plus, the day we rent a storage locker for my collection would probably be the day the Mrs. kicked me out.  And, as to other comments, I'm not a completist - but its more a situation of just lots of crap stuff building up over the years of collecting.  Plus, like I said, it branched out from Star Wars to other areas as well.  Trying to have it all out on display, in a somewhat medium to smaller sized room, it just makes it more difficult.  Its going to be time to either (1) pack more away or (2) thin the herd and sell some stuff.  I'm always envious of the collection displays around here that are nice and neat looking, and organized, and I want mine to look that way as well.  The more stuff that is in there, the more difficult it gets to do that.

On a side note, our daughter is just about 11 months old now, so she's getting into everything.  That's leading to a number of things taking a dive off of the bookshelves.  I keep telling my wife that's why I need display cases for all of it, but I haven't quite sold that idea yet :P.  I don't mind her messing with the stuff that isn't too small for her or breakable, but it is hard to keep things safe and nice looking.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 3, 2008, 04:38 PM »
Wow! You guys take credit card debt to a whole new level!  :o

Fairly presumptive of you.  Zero credit card debt, but thanks for asking.   ::)