Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 114915 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2005, 02:28 PM »
2000 Dodge Grand Caravan -- woo hoo! ;D  The hubby drives an '03 Ford F-150 Supercrew
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2005, 02:44 PM »
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

2002 Toyota Sienna

I love my Jeep except when I hit the pump.  But its sooooo great all the rest of the time.  My new job will probably be only 3-4 minutes away from wherever we live so I the gas hit will be a little less than it is now.

The van is nice as well.  Sure its a family vehicle but its great for just hauling stuff.  We went to the lake two times this summer and what used to make us take two cars we can fit it all in to the Van.

I do really miss my Camry though.  I've been thinking about seeing what they'll take for my Jeep at Toyota...lower payment and better milage :-\

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2005, 03:11 PM »
I've been thinking about seeing what they'll take for my Jeep at Toyota

Don't expect much.  Jeeps get really bad resale value.  Blue Book on my wife's 2000 Jeep is only $3,200.  My old Tacoma, same year, was $8,500 (but it worked out to almost $10K after haggling when I bought my new truck)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2005, 03:22 PM »
Seems resale is the same in the US as Canada.  Honda/Toyota have tremendous staying power in value, the majority of other brands don't. 

That's part of the reason we bought a Nissan (Altima).  We could get it for $4000 less than the same year and identically equipped Accord.  No doubt the Accord would have had better resale, but given I drive 130 miles round trip each day for work, resale value was never an issue.  I'm driving the Altima until it gives up entirely.  It has no resale value at this point anyway and anything I replace it with would become a "high mileage" vehicle pretty quickly anyway, limiting resale yet again.  I'm hoping the Altima lasts me another 11 years at which point I'll just give it to my daughter. 

It was also a bit of an experiment as I'd only ever owned Honda's previously (Civic-CRX-Prelude-Accord, in that order).  They were reliable for the most part (though they did go through brakes and exhaust faster than I'd like).  The Altima was a cheaper alternative, but an investigation into seeing if it's reliability was Honda-like.  To this point it has been.  The only major repair was the replacement of the Catalytic converter which was pricey.  They blame the gas we used, but you never know the truth.  As far as other components go, to this point (8 years, 225K) it's been great.  I only recently replaced the brakes, something I'd have done for the third time on a Honda).  Just basic maintenance for the most part, so color me pleased.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2005, 03:37 PM »
I finally got the new car Monday night - I'll try to get some pictures taken soon. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2005, 03:53 PM »
I drive a Silver 2003 Saturn Vue.

- It gets pretty good gas mileage.  20mpg in the city (which includs my "stop-n-start" toy shopping runs) and up to 37mpg on the open road/freeway.

- It's roomy enough to haul all my crap whilst camping/fishing/road tripping, but it's still compact enough that I can usually easily find a place to park it.

- It has all-wheel drive and traction control, a must for the slippery/snowy/icy MN winters.

All and all, I really like it.  It's the first "SUV" type car that I've had (actually, my only other car = Green Chevy Cavalier), but it doesn't act too much like one so I'm glad for that.

My parents are currently shopping for a new vehicle. 

They're finally getting rid of the beast - a 1999 GMC Conversion Van.  That monster gets about 14mpg and has a 30gal gas tank = $70 to fill the tank every other week!   :o

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2005, 03:59 PM »
I think the gas thing a little overrated.  Historically, gas prices have been well behind inflation.  I realize there is some price gouging and stuff happening and the record profits being made by oil companies is a little disheartening but in the long run $2-$3 a gallon is not too bad, especially compared to Europeans and again historical low prices of crude and gas in general

Psychologically it seems worse but we're actually better off than we were in the 80's.  Also, cars, even big cars and SUVs are getting better and better milage.  Hybrids and Fuel Cells are right around the corner and I hope this is the push that gets us there.  Both from an econimic but also from a coolness stand point. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2005, 05:32 PM »
but given I drive 130 miles round trip each day for work,

Well, now I don't feel so bad - I drive 120 miles round trip a day.  Sucks really when you think of all the money we waste on gas just to get to work and back...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2005, 03:51 PM »
Pictures of the new car:

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Nice car!!  Is the interior purple? 8)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2005, 04:15 PM »
it's gray and black with some red dots on the seats - must just be the lighting making it look that way.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 08:00 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2005, 04:18 PM »
It looks too much like a big family car. You're young and hip, get something cool!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2005, 04:20 PM »
It looks too much like a big family car. You're young and hip, get something cool!

Just so we're clear, you're kidding right?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 04:23 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 7, 2007, 04:01 PM »
We've been new car shopping the past few weeks.  I've had my heart and savings set on a Honda Pilot.  After watching gas prices inch their way towards $3.00 here and accepting the fact that they are not going back down, I made a last minute decision to get a more fuel efficient/environmentally responsible vehicle.  Even though I really wanted the option of a third row seat (I frequently help my brother out by picking up my nephews), I decided to downsize and get a CR-V:

Though smaller than what I'm used to, I'm finding it has just enough room for our family and our gear.  And it gets 12-14 more mpg than my old van was getting :).
« Last Edit: May 7, 2007, 09:31 PM by tamidala »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 7, 2007, 05:27 PM »
Pictures of the new car:

That's no hybrid.  Environment killer.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.