Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 581211 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: RS deletes accounts
« Reply #2025 on: November 29, 2005, 02:45 AM »
First, for Matt it's still an asset obviously since it could grow easily enough over there if he really wanted it to what with all the cross-site stuff...

Next though, for Scum it is an asset because it actually shows the real state of disarray over there to people who read between the lines, should they read Matt's thread.  A guy who did so much good isn't wanted there...  That's sad.  That's saying we don't care how good of a person you are to me, so from my POV it reflects poorly on them.

But more than anything it's just asinine to lock a thread that obviously was able to grow and didn't affect them.  Most people wouldn't even know who Matt was, so it's a childish move on Dustin's part.  Shows that he's open to "playing games" online between sites, and for all Scum's bitching and moaning about the JD staff it is a clear example that they despise us equally. :)  We just allow people to talk **** on their site openly which they don't allow...  Just as they don't allow you to mention another site or link to it...  but you're allowe dto talk all the **** you want on GalacticHunter openly in their forum as I recall seeing here just about a month ago or so.

It all boils down to a petty maneuver on their part that just makes you roll your eyes.  Be a man, be mature, leave the feedback alone because Matt did establish a good list, he did help a lot of people out, and respecting that should have been the way to go...  It didn't happen that way, and ultimately it's no skin off Matt's ass and he knows that, but that's the kind of thing that someone should be talking about but you know you'd be shut up quicker than you could blink and your words would disappear with the click of a mouse button if you did make mention of it. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2026 on: November 29, 2005, 02:54 AM »
Matt did establish a good list, he did help a lot of people out, and respecting that should have been the way to go...  It didn't happen that way, and ultimately it's no skin off Matt's ass and he knows that, but that's the kind of thing that someone should be talking about but you know you'd be shut up quicker than you could blink and your words would disappear with the click of a mouse button if you did make mention of it.

Ok...that much I agree with.   I wasn't saying anything was WRONG with the feedback thread, I was just saying it's really not a big deal that it got locked is it?  I mean, I imagine you're right and it was locked out of some kind of spite, but it's also something that shouldn't matter when Matt has 10 times that feedback over here.

It seemed more silly that it was locked than offensive.  I mean, it was like.....kicking a horse one last time after it's been dead and buried for a year.  Shouldn't really hurt, even if you're the horse, right?   

I suppose Matt could take it as a badge of honor that they still care about him that much.  Personally, I think they should...he's one of the better traders ever to grace that site. ;D

Got Clones?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2027 on: November 29, 2005, 03:04 AM »
it's really not a big deal that it got locked is it?

Big deal in that is it going to "hurt" Matt?  No, not in the slightest...  "Silly" is the proper way to describe it there.

But a "Big deal" in that it is blatant immaturity on the part of Scum's staff that felt it necessary?  That it's somewhat offensive to do that without explanation or just cause, nor allow someone to say anything in favor of what a stand-up person Matt is publicly over there because they simply "say so"?

Well that's not a huge deal, but it's worth laying it out flat here where you CAN call the people involved over there what they are...  It's a real childish attitude, plain and simple.  It's not like we'd have canned a feedback thread for someone we banned here, and hell we also didn't ban any of Scum's staff despite their behavior (instead we let them voice their opinions over time so long as they stayed within the rules).

Really Matt's feedback thread incident is just one more thing to comment on here, roll your eyes, and (presumably) not get banned for commenting on it...  Though that didn't work for Matt since he got banned there for what he said here instead of actually violating rules, but that's a whole other story I guess. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2028 on: November 29, 2005, 03:14 AM »
Not to play devil's advocate again (I know how much you all hate Rebelscum) but....why is it so bad that they locked that feedback thread?  Matt's not a community asset to RS in their eyes, or they would have kept him around.

Don't get me wrong (notice I have a post in that very thread from a trade with Matt 2 months ago).  I like Matt as much as anyone.  But why do you care if a feedback thread at a site you don't even use gets locked?

Like Jesse said, it shows how completely petty a few of those guys over there are, and how entirely hung up on this whole JD thing they are as well, even when nothing's going on between us.  Hell, Jeff just got banned over there a couple weeks ago for simply asking why their staff has a bunch of links in their signatures to various other sites - Star Wars and otherwise, while they're yelling at all of their members to remove any and all links in their sigs.  Reasonable question for sure.  Worthy of banning?  Of course not.  Their reason:  You JD guys do nothing but cause trouble.  Whatever that means.  Furthermore, they have NEVER locked any of their member's feedback threads there, even after they got banned.  So why the special treatment for me, huh?

As for Dustin locking my feedback link and adding a nice little "he's banned" insult to the end of it, if you can't figure out why that might be annoying, or even a hinderance to my future trading around the net, then I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you Josh.  I actually just started typing up a huge retort, but deleted the whole thing, 'cause I hate these stupid little "Devil's Advocate" bull**** discussions about a site and certain owners/staff members therefrom who are nothing but a cancer to the collecting community, and who don't deserve anything along the lines of what they have over there at RS, all of which was handed to them on a silver platter a few years ago.

Needless to say, despite my disgust for RS, it's trading and classifieds forums are obviously a good resource for filling holes in one's collection.  So on the rare occurrence that someone points me towards a thread over there with one of my few needs in it, it would be nice to be able to point them towards my feedback link there so they can see they're in good hands for a potential trade.  Now, it just looks like I'm some kind of problem member since Dustin babbled on in my thread about my banning.  He's still just pissed off about my "You're Phillip Wise's Rick McCallum" comment, and is apparently never going to get over that...

And I don't have 10x more feedback here at JD.  I've got a +100 at RS and a +182 here, IIRC.  But if you're dealing with an RS'er in a potential swap, he may not be terribly interested in what feedback I may or may not have at any other sites, so the RS link could come in handy (which it hasn't for some time, but that's beside the point).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 03:18 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: November 29, 2005, 03:20 AM »
"You're Phillip Wise's Rick McCallum"

LOL

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2030 on: November 29, 2005, 03:21 AM »
Since you put it that way, yeah...I guess I can see why it might seem more like a blemish than a joke to you.  My comments were more of a "just laugh this off" nature than a defending the locking of it nature.  I hope you don't confuse one for the other.

I think locking that thread was a weird thing to do, especially since it's been pretty much dormant (and you obviously haven't posted in it) for years.  You can laugh it off, or be pissed about it. Or both.

Sorry if what I said came off as anything more than a "so what?" cause that's all it was meant to be.

Got Clones?

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #2031 on: November 29, 2005, 05:57 PM »
About the dog thing:

Really, who's worse...the guy that joked about giving a dog chocolate or the yutz who went to a SW forum for his pet's needs rather than a vet or even an animal-related website?  Honestly, that's just flat out stupid.  Maybe Dark Destiny's comment was off-color, but in my opinion the original poster deserved a lot more flak than that sarcastic remark.  And for those saying "what if the owner didn't know and actually gave him chocoloate"...are you kidding?  Anyone that doesn't know that dogs can't eat chocolate shouldn't own a ******* dog.

As far as his banning, I think that was a big harsh as well.  I like Dave, but I think he acted a bit hastily, assuming the comment was the sole reasoning behind the banning.  He should have at least been warned first. 

As far as Dustin:

Solid...*******...gold.  :D

John

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2032 on: November 29, 2005, 06:23 PM »
To be honest, I'm actually suprised that instead of locking Matt's feedback thread, Dustin just didn't delete it.  He's petty and childish enough to do something like that than just the banning comment and locking the thread.  I guess he's both lazy and a moron.

Sad really, a couple of years ago it was a great site and an awesome resource for the hobby.

Oh, and the Rick McCallum comment was awesome!  ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #2033 on: November 29, 2005, 06:46 PM »
About the dog thing:

Really, who's worse...the guy that joked about giving a dog chocolate or the yutz who went to a SW forum for his pet's needs rather than a vet or even an animal-related website?  Honestly, that's just flat out stupid.  Maybe Dark Destiny's comment was off-color, but in my opinion the original poster deserved a lot more flak than that sarcastic remark.  And for those saying "what if the owner didn't know and actually gave him chocoloate"...are you kidding?  Anyone that doesn't know that dogs can't eat chocolate shouldn't own a ******* dog.

As far as his banning, I think that was a big harsh as well.  I like Dave, but I think he acted a bit hastily, assuming the comment was the sole reasoning behind the banning.  He should have at least been warned first. 

As far as Dustin:

Solid...*******...gold.  :D

John

I agree that people should know that chocolate is bad for dogs, but that doesn't mean people should be instructing others to feed them chocolate assuming they know. The forums are filled with many young kids, and since it would be their family dog and not their own, they may not know. It's just not worth the risk making a joke like that IMO.

As for his banning, DD has been warned before about saying this and other negative stuff. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I normally wouldn't want another member to be banned, but DD was always nasty, usually just for the sake of being mean and watching his post count go up in the process, rarely adding anything to a real conversation.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 06:49 PM by Victor_Von_Doom »
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2034 on: November 29, 2005, 07:16 PM »
And for those saying "what if the owner didn't know and actually gave him chocoloate"...are you kidding?  Anyone that doesn't know that dogs can't eat chocolate shouldn't own a ******* dog.

Have ya been in Wuher's lately John?  ;D  j/k

Seriously though, I agree the kid seeking dog help was either lying and just wanted to make up something to talk about, or he was an idiot...  or both.

But I seriously, and I mean this in all honesty, think there's people there that are dumb enough to feed a dog chocolate based on a post they read there.  Either just to see what the effect is that caused all the hooplah, or because they're that stupid.  Never underestimate people's ability to underwhelm you at any turn.

Given the post in the first place, I think it was a distinct threat that he could've fed the dog chocolate.

Had DD done that here I think he'd likely have been warned/talked to privately and all points would have been driven home pretty hard, but at the same time I love animals...  My pets mean the world to me, and I didn't care for the comment said in jest or otherwise, but that's just my take on things.

His banning at Scum, IMO, is more out of pressure from the crowd than out of legitimate disgust at what the guy said...  I mean, I see people blatantly calling one another names over at that site almost every time I browse through it and nothing is ever done...  It seems to me that unless you either are trashing RS and its staff, calling RS on its BS, or if you have got the masses against you totally in a Simpson-esque mob/riot scenario, you really can't get banned at Scum for much of anything.  You have to really be on one of the staff's ****list or it just doesn't happen generally.  This time it seemed that so many people cried out in anger at once that finally someone stepped in just to make everyone happy.

At the same time mass mudslinging takes place in virtually every sector of the forums without even an edit or a thread lock...  Unless the thread was a duplicate of one that is on page 73 or some ****.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 07:20 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Dark Destiny

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 29, 2005, 08:27 PM »
I decided to check out this forum after being banned. Little did I know that I would be the topic of discussion. I think this whole situation is insane. It was clearly a joke and I was banned not for the comment, but because of the reaction to it.

Anyone who was offended really needs to lighten up. I think it's a pretty damn well known fact that chocolate can kill a dog. I know the poster is a kid and I am also quite sure that he made the post just for ***** and the events discussed did not really occur. Even if they did, posting about it on a toy forum is completly inappropriate.

As for his banning, DD has been warned before about saying this and other negative stuff. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I normally wouldn't want another member to be banned, but DD was always nasty,

What the hell are you talking about? I was never warned about doing anything. I'm a unique guy, and I like to display that on the forums. I say what's on my mind instead of conforming to the general generic opinion. It's so dry there and I just wanted to add some... pizzazz. I never meant to be nasty, if I came across that wat.

usually just for the sake of being mean and watching his post count go up in the process, rarely adding anything to a real conversation

Post count? What the ****? You've got to be ******** me.

Anyway, just wanted to state my case...

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: November 29, 2005, 08:37 PM »
You know, I called you a dick in this thread and I may have been thinking of someone else entirely... I may be confusing you with another poster with "Dark" in their name. In fact, I thought as much right after I posted the remark, but never edited it. Wouldn't be the first time I stuck my foot square in my mouth....

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2037 on: November 29, 2005, 08:44 PM »
Well, welcome aboard DarkDestiny :)

Actually as was mentioned I don't think you'd have garnered the response here you did there, however you would have gotten a warning so I'll just repeat that so it's known...  Consider the joke along the lines of making an off-color remark about the opposite sex or some such, and that's that.  You're at a new place, you're not going to pay for sins elsewhere over here so starting a-new is the best way to look at things now that you're here.

I think you'll find there's less of the kiddies starting topics like that over here to reply to in the first place. :)

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #2038 on: November 29, 2005, 09:35 PM »
I decided to check out this forum after being banned. Little did I know that I would be the topic of discussion. I think this whole situation is insane. It was clearly a joke and I was banned not for the comment, but because of the reaction to it.

Anyone who was offended really needs to lighten up. I think it's a pretty damn well known fact that chocolate can kill a dog. I know the poster is a kid and I am also quite sure that he made the post just for ***** and the events discussed did not really occur. Even if they did, posting about it on a toy forum is completly inappropriate.

As for his banning, DD has been warned before about saying this and other negative stuff. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I normally wouldn't want another member to be banned, but DD was always nasty,

What the hell are you talking about? I was never warned about doing anything. I'm a unique guy, and I like to display that on the forums. I say what's on my mind instead of conforming to the general generic opinion. It's so dry there and I just wanted to add some... pizzazz. I never meant to be nasty, if I came across that wat.

usually just for the sake of being mean and watching his post count go up in the process, rarely adding anything to a real conversation

Post count? What the ****? You've got to be ******** me.

Anyway, just wanted to state my case...

Maybe you didn't seem to come across this way, but the majority of your posts are/were negative. There is a difference between conforming to the general opinion and being a jerk. Maybe you didn't mean them to sound like that, and if thats so I think its a misunderstanding.

I thought that you were warned before for saying stuff like this, and I know you've had some of your responses edited down in the past. If I'm mistaken I'm sorry.

As for the post count thing, I retract my statement. It just seemed at the time most of your posts were just to say something negative and not to add to the discussion.

Now that I mull over the topic more, I don't think you needed to be banned; maybe suspended. I agree with you that you were banned due to the public reaction to your comment, but they wouldn't have banned you just over the comment unless you had problems in the past.

Either way, whats done is done. Hopefully you will enjoy it here, and I hope we can get along here.  8)

*Edited for spelling*
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 12:31 AM by Victor_Von_Doom »
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2039 on: November 29, 2005, 10:06 PM »
You know, I called you a dick in this thread and I may have been thinking of someone else entirely... I may be confusing you with another poster with "Dark" in their name. In fact, I thought as much right after I posted the remark, but never edited it. Wouldn't be the first time I stuck my foot square in my mouth....

Dark Kanos perhaps? I couldn't stand that kid.
"This is the way."