Community > Watto's Junk Yard

The Walking Dead

<< < (129/522) > >>

Jesse James:
I think the show's writing is outstanding...  It's complex, and takes a totally fictional situation and asks how people would really behave.  Some will go nuts and kill themselves.  Some will go nuts and attempt to dominate the situation and those around them.  Some will retain their humanity.  Some will cower in the corner.  Some will just follow and grow at their own pace, or as the situation warrants.

It's really a show about humanity I think, and that's far more interesting than zombies.  I've always explained it to friends who think it's just a horror tv show, as much more than that.  The Zombies are the situation, but the people are what make the show.

That's why Woodbury, the Prison, the Philly crew, The Vato's...  They make the most interesting story expansions.  Zombies are what they are, but people are like a Whitman Sampler and sometimes you get a ****** one... to paraphrase Forrest Gump.

efranks:
The thing about silencers is that you have to  combine them with heavier, slower moving ammunition to get a really quiet firearm.  All movies and TV shows overdue it on how quiet they make their stuff sound.  The two things that make the most noise are the expanding gases as the bullet exits the barrel and the sonic boom from the bullet.  Steel wool in a can will capture those gases and help eliminate some of that sound but if there's still going to be some noise.

I'm with Jesse on the weapons for the hunt. Ideally they'd have shotguns with slugs loaded.  In woods you want something with range but also that fires a large, heavy bullet that can cut through brush better.  Maybe a rifle from the AK family or a good .308 would be okay but without really pouring over the show, I got the impression a lot of what they had were 9mm or .223 military rifles with some hunting rifles.  But bolt action hunting rifles wouldn't necessarily be the best choice either, for woods like those.

If I was hunting someone in the woods I'd want shotguns and some decent revolvers (.357, .44) or a nice .45 auto.  I'd take a good 9mm for backup but I wouldn't make that my first choice necessarily.

E...

JediJman:
And what story would you give the rest of the town for why you're headed out armed to the teeth after someone you supposedly let go?  How comfortable would you be giving those weapons to guys you dont really know on your hunting trip?  I think massive weaponry to hunt Michone would have looked silly, so I guess you cant please everyone.

Jesse James:
For my argument, you're sending guys out with AR-15's (this is assuming you now have a decent stash of them, courtesy of the GI's you cut down).  SOmeone with a shotgun with slug rounds would be nice but maybe not possible.  Tough to say who has what in the town.  I have a 12 gauge and have a variety ammo for it, so who knows what whoever maybe brought along or they found.  I can see someone taking one though.

I'm only basing my thought on the fact they killed military guys who most likely had AR15's or something similar, and I think one guy in the chopper had a LMG too but I can't recall.  That's maybe a bit overkill not to mention more difficult to use and learn, or at least I'd imagine it is.

As you can see, not a particularly large weapon.  It's an assault rifle, but I believe it's smaller than the AK-47, and for my money looks less intimidating, though that's partially the AK's being the "bad guy" gun IMO.  Perception and all that.  It's used for clearing houses and just about everything else.  Its versatility is a big reason it's so popular.

If you have that, I  can't see much of a reason you wouldn't go out with it.  At least one guy, anyway, incase.  I don't think they'd have to it justify to people inside the fort, why the guys going outside of it are carrying a rifle, a pistol, and something a little longer than a tooth pick for dealing with them hand-to-hand.

With basically a rifle, a pistol, and a weapon for killing up close more than a knife, they'd be about as armed up as Rick's group has been at any given time when they're running around with shotguns and pistols as well.

The only thing that works for me, at all, is Merle's a bit of a moron and didn't respect Michonne at all, so he didn't think to actually gear up at all and that it'd be just a quick jaunt out and back with her head and sword.  That's a little far-fetched still, but Merle is a dope and could easily make a mistake like underestimating who he's going out after.  It still stands to reason any group out there is better off with a staggered ability to fight though, rather than just relying on pistols and knives.

Greg:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on November 22, 2012, 11:33 PM ---The only thing that works for me, at all, is Merle's a bit of a moron and didn't respect Michonne at all, so he didn't think to actually gear up at all and that it'd be just a quick jaunt out and back with her head and sword.  That's a little far-fetched still, but Merle is a dope and could easily make a mistake like underestimating who he's going out after.  It still stands to reason any group out there is better off with a staggered ability to fight though, rather than just relying on pistols and knives.

--- End quote ---

Merle's cockiness was what I thought of when this gun discussion was brought up. I'm guessing Merle and his henchmen thought they'd be out in the woods for ten minutes, and surely they could easily shoot a crazy sword-wielding lady. Based on the first encounter and Merle's taunts it seemed like they expected Michonne to bonzai charge, rather than get the jump on them and wind up being an extremely dangerous attitude. Plus they didn't think to drive a car out, so why would they be smart enough to bring heavier firepower?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version