Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)  (Read 54918 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)
« Reply #120 on: June 6, 2013, 04:43 PM »
I also don't like the fact that they dropped the whole plot of Robb legitimizing Jon Snow and naming him his heir...that was a pretty big deal.  I still think that that will come up in Book 6 (if he survives the stabbing process)

I think that Jon Snow being legitimized is a serious possibility.  And the same goes for some of the other bastards, like Gendry.  But in the case of Jon Snow, I think that even if he does get legitimized, would he truly be a Stark?

But with Jon Snow and his stabbing at the hands of members of the Watch?  I look at what happened with Thoros bringing back Beric Dondarrion, and I think that Melisandre may use that same power to bring back Jon.  That means that I think Jon will actually die from the stabbing.  But in turn, that may result in him being released from his vows to the Watch. 
« Last Edit: June 6, 2013, 04:45 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 6, 2013, 05:17 PM »
IMO Jon's a Stark (half anyways), just not Ned's but Lyanna's.  And it's possible he warged into Ghost right before getting prison shanked.  Hurry the hell up Georgie and finish WoW so we can find out who's right.

And I thought I had another show person who died but is still alive in the books - Doreah, the handmaiden who taught Dany how to **** on the show and later banged Viserys in the bathtub and who ended up in the vault after banging Xaro Xhoan Daxos and presumbly died, but after checking her wiki page, I forgot she died in the Red Waste in the books.  That's the problem, too many ******* characters to keep track of.

And after re-reading my post, I just realized Xaro is still kicking it as of DwD, but presumbly died in the giant vault with Doreah.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 6, 2013, 05:26 PM »
....I think that Melisandre may use that same power to bring back Jon. 

There is definitely some connection between Melisandre and Jon that I think will be important later (if he survives the stabbing process, and I believe he will).  Melisandre needs royal blood to do some of her spells, which is shown when she leeches blood off of Edric Storm to kill three of the false kings and that might be why she gets close to Jon.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #123 on: June 7, 2013, 09:29 AM »
I think Jon's body died in the stabbing process, but he sent his mind into Ghost.  They foreshadowed that quite a bit.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #124 on: June 8, 2013, 02:27 PM »
Is there any chance Robert is Jon Snow's father?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 8, 2013, 03:01 PM »
I wonder if there'll be any significance to the resemblance of Lyanna Stark and Margaery Tyrell?

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 9, 2013, 09:44 AM »

I don't think so....but his father may not be Ned.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2013, 07:16 AM »

I highly doubt that.  George R.R. Martin has been laying out the hints regarding Jon's lineage for a while.  And one of the key things he asked David Benioff and Dan Weiss when they initially met was who did they think Jon Snow's mother was?  Apparently, they answered correctly.

I know that there's sometimes conflict between the books and the television series, but an important thing occurred to me when I was watching the season 1 DVD's recently.  During the episode "The King's Road", there are two notable scenes where Ned discusses Jon's mother.  First, as Ned parts ways with Jon as they both leave Winterfell, and again when Ned and Robert are talking over lunch. 

Clearly, Ned has something to tell Jon, but does not want to tell him that early on in the book.  Perhaps he wants to wait until after Jon has taken his vows, and is a sworn member of the Night's Watch?  After all, Maester Aemon, one of only three known surviving Targaryen's is a member of the Night's Watch.  But as a sworn brother, Maester Aemon has relinquished claims to any titles.  Does Ned intend to tell Jon about his true lineage after he is a sworn brother so that he can hold the same status as Maester Aemon?

And then there's the conversation with Robert.  King Robert specifically asks Ned about "his bastard's mother" during their conversation along the side of the King's Road.  Ned identifies the mother of Jon Snow as "Wylla".  But what if Jon's mother is indeed Lyanna Stark, and Ned said as much?  That might drive a serious wedge between Robert and Ned, and put Jon in danger.  After all, Robert and Lyanna had been set to be married.  And it was Rhaegar Targaryen's abduction of Lyanna that caused Robert and Ned to go to war with the Targaryens.  Ned is well aware of Robert's hatred for the Targaryens.  What would Robert do if he came to learn that Jon was not in fact Ned's bastard son, but the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and the woman he loved, Lyanna Stark?  Ned is one of the most honorable characters of the series, but it seems quite clear that he's been lying to everyone about Jon in order to protect him.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2013, 03:53 PM »
After rereading Game of Thrones I think the most common Jon Snow Theory is for sure the right one.  I am pretty sure all of the talk of Lyanna is there for a reason and Howland Reed will make an appearance after Bran and Jon reunite at some point soon and will explain all to Jon.  Jon then will meet up with the other two Targaryens with their 3 dragons to conquer the 7 Kingdoms and bring peace back to the realm.

It had been way too long on having not read the books to see all of the clues as plain as they are spelled out in GoT.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:58 PM by Scott »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2013, 03:55 PM »
What are the chances of Prequel books to ASOIAF?  I think lots of people would love to read about Robert and Ned and the Targaryens

Martin does a really great job of giving some history of Westeros but there could be so much more, it doesn't even need to be written by Martin as the story is already fleshed out
Also note that Martin seems to planning some sort of Silmarillion

From his Not a Blog:

The final story in DANGEROUS WOMEN will be my own, a 30,000 word novella entitled "The Princess and the Queen," a history (somewhat abridged) of the Dance of the Dragons, as set down by a maester of the Citadel.

Tor.com has just uploaded a sample to their site.  You can find it here:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/07/dangerous-women-george-r-r-martin-excerpt

Enjoy.

(The full 80,000 word account of the Dance will eventually appear in a book, as yet untitled, that we're calling the GRRMarillion).

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2013, 04:53 PM »
I think the clues of Jon Snow's parentage are glaringly obvious in the series title:  A Song of Ice (Stark) and Fire (Targaryen). 

I am rereading the series and just realize how much I missed the first time.  There are so many layers to it, it's impossible to keep it all straight if you don't know what's going to happen next.  Especially with Ned talking about telling Jon about his mother and that Ned seems to be the only one who knows the truth and then is killed.  To realize that Varys and Illario were chatting in the dungeons (though names were never used).  To realize that Ned's distrust is misguided with Varys.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2013, 06:09 PM »
The Varys/Illario thing totally clueless to me when I first read it too but after rereading it makes total sense.  And it sets up the whole Mormont betrayal and Dance with Dragons Targaryen surprise as well.  Part of me wonders if Varys know about Jon too...and he is pulling the strings with him as well.  Which is why he wanted Ned Stark alive.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:10 PM by Scott »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2013, 09:30 PM »
I guess I should say it seems glaringly obvious the story's about Jon, but then again, I could be surprised.

I wonder about Ser Robert Strong's role.  Apparently Bran had dreamt about that.  And will the red zombies be able to fight the ice zombies?

It seems that Littlefinger was in it to get Sansa as his own... possibly as revenge to the Starks/Tullys?  I wonder what his fate will be?  Will Sansa sharpen up or will she be rescued by The Hound (he is purportedly dead, but no body no proof)

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2013, 06:39 AM »
The Hound (he is purportedly dead, but no body no proof)

The Hound isn't dead as he was the gardener? (going on memory) with the monks.
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2013, 10:00 AM »
The Hound (he is purportedly dead, but no body no proof)

The Hound isn't dead as he was the gardener? (going on memory) with the monks.

Gotcha... It'll be fun to reread these again.  ;D