Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

The Future of Star Wars Collecting?

<< < (68/171) > >>

Jesse James:
Compared to other film franchises I could see Hasbro going nuts on character selection honestly, but I don't know if I'd like that really...  I just worry things getting sloppy with the line in general.  Going back to 2002 type stuff, or just POTF2 levels of quality really.  I know it's the sort of hipster thing to long for "the good old days" but to me it took so long to get this line to where quality was almost always up at the top...

So to that end the "premium" line shipping along a sort of sub-premium line works better I think...  Just hope that keeps up.  Worrying it might end, and things may look a lot more like, say, Iron Man on the shelves.

P-Siddy:
And with new source material, will it be harder to get that "15th Cantina patron?"

Jeff:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on April 22, 2013, 08:44 PM ---Worrying it might end, and things may look a lot more like, say, Iron Man on the shelves.
--- End quote ---

I think Episode 7 toy line will look a lot like the current Marvel approach actually.  Would not surprise me in the least to see that current planogram build for SW too - $6 basic figures, $10 deluxe style figures, some vehicles, the ugly 12" figures, etc.  They've already started moving towards it with the stuff/lines they have planned for fall. 

--- Quote from: P-Siddy on April 23, 2013, 08:16 AM ---And with new source material, will it be harder to get that "15th Cantina patron?"
--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's one of the big outstanding questions, isn't it?  If Hasbro continues the "premium" basic figure line for collectors in 2015, will it focus entirely on the new movie(s) or will it be more like Marvel Universe that mixes in both new comic figures and classic comic figure/costumes?

I can see the argument for both I guess.  During the prequels, there were definitely periods when the OT figures took a backseat to the new.  If that pattern continues and you have a situation with a new movie each year, there could definitely be a long break for OT/PT figures as they work on the new stuff.  Or, they could set it up like Marvel Universe, that continues to crank out whatever they want to give collectors independent of the movie lines.

It will be interesting to see which way they decide to go with the collector lines (3.75" and 6"):   "all sequels" or "happy mixture of OT/PT/ST"?

P-Siddy:
Everything is such a 'wait and see' right now.  It just doesn't feel like there is a 'future' for SW stuff right now (at least Hasbro-wise) because there is nothing new on the shelves until August and that feels like a long time coming.  It's like the saying goes, "Out of sight, out of mind."  The mindset will change once new stuff starts hitting and the movies come, but right now it's tough.

Phrubruh:
I think we are going to see all sequel figures with multiple variations of the core "new" characters. I don't think we will see a lot of Luke, Leia, Han figures but of the new stars the sequels will focus on. Every other movie-based toy line only has the main characters and very rarely do we see the supporting characters. I don't think we will ever see weird alien #6 ever again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version