Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

Will your collecting habits change?

<< < (2/10) > >>

CHEWIE:
I never could get into the Clone Wars because to me, it looks like an animated video game sequence.  There's some cool designs and all, but ever since this came into play, collecting hasn't been as fun for me.  I am not dreading the end of the series one bit. 

That being said, most of what I've seen from the 2013 offerings seems like more of the same - heavy on repacks and slight retooling, with a few cool figures here and there.  Cutting corners when they can with the collector line (like not investing in new tooling for Phase 2 clone helmets), and definitely with the kids line in many aspects.

I have bought a little bit less each year anyway, but with life changes (2 kids now), I need to scale back regardless.  Hasbro putting less of an investment to reach collectors like me just makes it easier to spend less on their product.  They really aren't working harder like they used to for our dollars, which doesn't bother me as much as it would have 5-6 years ago.

P-Siddy:
My collecting habits have changed, but that's mostly due to figures being hard to find and the price increases (yes, living in Manhattan doesn't help).  Plus, I have two little kids and a wife who doesn't approve of the hobby (which can get to be a tiring battle).  Lately I have been buying cases or figures on line... paying a little extra for the figure but saving on all the transit costs to hope to find something.  Because of this, I've been passing on prequel figures, EU and CW because the OT is my passion.  But, yes, the new Legacy figures Hasbro has shown us lack excitement, as Mike said.  Do I need a screen specific Vader?  Not really.  Do I need another Biggs or a Yavin Luke (I know he comes with the right blaster, but I can't justify another $10 just for the blaster...)?

I agree with Mike that they have some excellent sculpts out there of existing characters and they just need to rotate those in.  A few main characters, an army builder or two and a few new ones.

Speaking of the excellent sculpts is there a definitive list of which is the best sculpt and Hasbro doesn't need to make improvements on them?

shmashwitdaclub:
I both love and hate the build a droid line for most of all the same reasons many have all restated.  Too many resculpts (hate), and cool droids like Jabba's palace droid and Dooku's droid (love both).  So I am at a crossroads as to what I am going to do.

Wave 1 -
- Arena Padme - very nice - definite buy
- Rockets R2 - bleh could easily do without
- Ep2 Anakin - cannot find any good pics on JD of him, iirc his headsculpt did look nice plus he had upgrades in articulation - 50/50 on him
- Ep2 Clone SGT - boring could easily do without
- Geonosian Warrior - boring could easily do without
- Luminara - does she have any upgrades in the articulation department?  I am 50/50 on her but she probably goes in the unnecessary camp
- Biker Scout - could do with out since we are getting the TRU set
- TIE Pilot (Vader's Wingman) - not too excited over but it makes some sense as a "new" character I guess - buy
- RED Battle Droid - boring could easily do without
- Sandtrooper (Black Pauldron) - pretty cool looking at SDCC on display - buy
- Pablo Jill - awesome, I never did get the first version - buy
- 212th Clone (on VC45 body) - boring could easily do without

BADs = TC-70 & FA-4

So, in order to get the droids that look awesome I have to buy at least 6 figures I really have zero interest in...  Awesome...  I guess I could maybe be hopeful of a revision wave that subs out crappy figures I have no interest in maybe for some cool figures from TVC?  Probably not though, since I will by that point have all that I really need from TVC.

Wave 2

Mace Windu Clone Wars Armor - pretty decent - buy
Captain Rex - I wish he came with his other helmet too - buy
Luke Yavin Ceremony - looks nice but I could do without
Mara Jade Jedi - buy
Darth Vader Bespin - boring could easily do without
A-Wing Pilot - boring could easily do without
Biggs - boring could easily do without
Ep 2 Clone Pilot  - boring could easily do without

BADs - R8-B7 & R5-X2 - I am really only kind of excited about the R8

So I only am really digging 3 of the 8 figures, and I only care for one of the droids.  My luck of course is that the figures I do want from this wave will not match up with the droid I am wanting.  And what will Hasbro do with the other 4 slots for this?  Probably fill them with figures I don't want from wave 1....

Force Guy:

--- Quote from: SpIrIt Of MaCe on September  5, 2012, 03:51 AM ---Well, to be honest, unless the figures are EU, CW, Cliegg Lars, Tonnika Sisters, Torryn Farr, Sim Aloo, Sgt. Doallyn, or a miniscule handful of other characters, everything from here on out is going to be a resculpt, right?
--- End quote ---

There's still a wealth of characters, from the OT, PT, and heck, even EU that Hasbro could make before pumping out yet another Obi-Wan figure, another frickin Clone Trooper, etc.  Oh, but wait, this Obi-Wan is different because his face has a smirk.  Or that Clone Trooper is different because his groin is articulated.  It's ridiculous.   

--- Quote ---Even so, I'll probably be buying them all, just to stay complete.  No point stopping now, when I'm (hopefully) more than 2/3rds of the way through the line!

--- End quote ---

So let me get this straight: your criteria for buying figures is that it simply has to have a Star Wars logo stamped on it, yes?  I guess having the buying habits of an automaton makes life more simple in the sense that you don't really need to expend any thought whatsoever in your purchases.

P-Siddy:
Smash... don't get too worried yet about not getting that BAD because you might be able to trade for pieces later.  Maybe Hasbro will continue with the droid trading place at later Celebrations if you are attending (or someone you know).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version