Author Topic: 2012 TPM Multi-Troop Transport (MTT)  (Read 114832 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: 2012 TPM Multi-Troop Transport (MTT)
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2012, 07:03 PM »
This is the coolest thing in the line since the Turbo Tank, so there's no way I'm not going to support it.   

That's like saying someone is the tallest midget.  Sorry, I wasn't overly impressed with the Turbo Tank.

I think the MTT is an interesting choice, and I want to see more about it.  But I really don't know how I'd incorporate that thing into my collection room.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2012, 07:55 PM »

That's like saying someone is the tallest midget.  Sorry, I wasn't overly impressed with the Turbo Tank.

Yes.  Cosign.  Probably the most underscaled vehicle ever.  The vehicle is 90 feet tall in the movies, or 15x taller than a clone trooper.

But the toy is only 3x taller than a clone trooper.  Which means it would be perfect if the figures were an inch or less in height, rather than 3.75".

There are some vehicles and figures that are so out of scale it completely ruins them.  And for me, this was one of them and I passed.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49 PM »
I just like the fact that they even made another big vehicle.  It's gonna go to clearance of course.  So, I don't know what they are going to do to offset that?  Make it an exclusive?  I think it's a good choice for a big vehicle myself.  There was no way they were going to make the Trade Federation Battleship.  The Royal Starship had already kind of bombed for them the first time around.  They were not going to make the Landing Craft.  The Fambaa is not that exciting.  I thought perhaps the Sith Infiltrator had a chance with it being Maul's ship and all but they probably figure they sell more $25-30 underscale versions anyway. 

The MTT has a cool little scene in the movie with deploying the battle droids.  If you have been collecting Naboo battle stuff over the years like the ATT, battle droids, Destroyer Droids, Gungans, Fambaa, STAP, then this is a nice addition to that diorama IMO.  I look forward to getting it myself.  My son will go nutty for it since he actually likes that battle droids and in particular the scene where they are deployed, folded, unfold, and grab their guns, etc. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Yeah, with what is available from TPM, it is probably the best choice available.  There will always be some other ships that we want from each of the movies, but many that wouldn't sell...at all (although I think at $130 this one will be a challenge too).  A larger Sith Infiltrator would have been cool, but I can see your point about them figuring they can just sell more of the smaller version.  I never picked up the last one, although I was tempted this go round (or pick up the older one on ebay cheaper).

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2012, 11:57 PM »

Yes.  Cosign.  Probably the most underscaled vehicle ever.  The vehicle is 90 feet tall in the movies, or 15x taller than a clone trooper.

But the toy is only 3x taller than a clone trooper.  Which means it would be perfect if the figures were an inch or less in height, rather than 3.75".

There are some vehicles and figures that are so out of scale it completely ruins them.  And for me, this was one of them and I passed.

But for me, I bought several.  In Hasbro's eyes, I made up for both of you!

And it's not always about the 30-40 somethings anyway, remember kids love this stuff.  If you could only see how much my son loves the Turbo Tank... and they aren't cheap on ebay either.  If everyone thought it was lame, you'd see it cheap like the GI JOE Pit.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2012, 09:44 AM »
I think they included far too many collosal Republic ground vehicles in ROTS that could never realistically be made in 3 3/4". Didn't they know the movies were made to sell toys?  :P

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2012, 02:23 PM »
And it's not always about the 30-40 somethings anyway, remember kids love this stuff.  If you could only see how much my son loves the Turbo Tank... and they aren't cheap on ebay either.

While the Turbo Tank may be out of scale, I would agree that is by far the best *TOY* ever made in the modern Star Wars line.  The lights, the missiles, the ruggedness, the launching speeder.  My kids love playing with it and have quickly set many of the other toys aside and always go back to the Turbo Tank.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2012, 03:24 PM »
And it's not always about the 30-40 somethings anyway, remember kids love this stuff.  If you could only see how much my son loves the Turbo Tank... and they aren't cheap on ebay either.

While the Turbo Tank may be out of scale, I would agree that is by far the best *TOY* ever made in the modern Star Wars line.  The lights, the missiles, the ruggedness, the launching speeder.  My kids love playing with it and have quickly set many of the other toys aside and always go back to the Turbo Tank.

Couldn't agree more!

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Love the AT-TE, love the Turbo Tank. I will gladly get them again if repainted.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 11:08 PM »
I think most, if not all of the ships are out of scale.  That's just something I've come to accept with these figures.  I'll get it if the price is considerably lower and it has some cool features, but it isn't a must have like the Turbo Tank, BMF, or the AT-AT.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2012, 01:23 AM »
You'd be amazed at the ships that are to-scale or VERY close without them actually probably trying for it.

I hated the Turbo Tank when it came out, and its name is right up there with the worst I can think of (How much cooler is "Juggernaught"?  I mean seriously here people!).

I got one super cheap at K-Mart during their clearance of it since they always do that cool "extra 50% off", and so I had to cave, and I appreciated it more.  It's pretty slick...  I wouldn't say it's better than the other BMF type ships but it's got a lot going for it for sure.  But yeah, being a scale nut, I'll never buy the undersized (or oversized for that matter) vehicles till they're on a pretty hefty discount.  They're not practical to make to-scale, of course, but I can only be enticed by them for a low price then too.

I will say I've found that my Turbo Tank has made a fun project and I'm turning mine into sort of an armored command car...  just a smaller version of its larger cousins, that accompanies a squad of AT-TE's or something.  I liked it enough to crowbar it into the collection anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Yeah, Juggernaught is a much cooler name... I guess they went with "Turbo Tank" to appeal to kids more... I kind of see it as a scaled down tank too.  And I'd gladly shell out a lot more for one about twice as big, but for Hasbro I am sure that's not practical.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2012, 05:45 PM »
If I remember correctly, at Toy Fair that year they hinted that it was much easier to call it "Clone Turbo Tank" than sift through the legal tidbits of selling a Juggernaut, which has plenty of copyrights/trademarks attached to it already...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2012, 05:51 PM »
That does seem to ring a bell...

Anyways, this amazing concept art is what always comes to my mind when I see the toy, or the scene in ROTS on Kashyyyk...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Juggernaught was always just it's EU name anyway.  I think it was the Turbo Tank in any ROTS material...  It'll always be Juggernaught to me though.  Turbo Tank?  Does that feature the rooty tooty point and shooty?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77