Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 362127 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Official 21st Century Toys Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2005, 03:50 PM »
BBI is exclusive to TRU.  21st Century was, but issues over "Nazi" product as some PC groups claimed caused TRU to tell 21st Century NOT to make any more German product.  In essence nixing 50% of what 21st was able to make, simply because people don't understand history or choose to label anyone a Nazi.

The 21st deal fizzled and BBI was picked up.  They've done mostly modern U.S. items, but they did do a Sherman and Mustang here recently too.  BBI's supposedly going to jump into WW2 stuff more (seen infantry, they have paratroopers on tap with working chutes too).  There's also a "Futuristic Sci Fi Military" line that BBI's got in concept phases and stuff.

21st Century Toys has a deal going with Wal-Mart right now, and while many people are finding 21st Century stuff in droves at their local Wal-Marts, I can't say I'm one of them.  I have seen lots of planes over the years, and at times I've seen tanks now and again.  They actually cast a lot of the tanks in die-cast metals as well, which means you get one huge-ass, and real heavy piece of toy for $40 (or less).

Figures are shipping now though I hear...  Marines in cammoflauge paintjobs (their solid green counterparts were released not long ago) and Japanese Infantry which just started shipping this month.

Also tanks, their 1.5 ton truck, etc... 

Online, Bad Cat Aviation, Small Blue Planet, and other stores carry 21st stuff.  Some cheap, some not-so-cheap.  Depends.  Most carry BBI too.

BBI just hasn't put out new figures in a while, so they haven't restocked.  Most did restock withs ome repaints of the modern marine figures, or army...  Or they've restocked with the chopper pilots...  If they've only got 3 or 4 different figures, they've sold through a lotta stuff.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Oh ok, thanks for the information Jesse.  I'll definitely be on the lookout for some of the new products.  ;D
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2005, 02:09 AM »
N/P on that...  I dig both lines, and Dragon has been known to put out a 1:18 item or two as well, however they're REALLY pre-posed figures.  Articulation's minimal.

The 21st figures are my favorites, however their first series figs sorta blow, and BBI's new articulation could outclass 21st completely. 

21st and BBI both do great headsculpts though...  BBI's got a lot more variety though and generally have only done neutral sculpts (Not the Sherman tanker though).  Good stuff all around.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2005, 03:16 PM »
My local Walmart just got a ton of new 21c stuff both carded 12 in weapons as well as 1 /18 vehicles. Anyone interested should check it out.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2005, 08:37 PM »
The problem with Wal-Mart is they're spotty on distribution.  One area will get deluged with stuff while others get nothing.

Case-in-point, my area has seen little, or no 21st Century shipments in a LONG time.  We're still stuck with choppers from a long time ago on our shelves.

Figures I've never seen...  I still need the 1st series Marines, much less their camo repainted brethren.  :(  And the Japanese, ugh...  I want those figures too but they're nowhere to be found...

Plus I've never seen a Hanomag or US Halftrack in stores...  Never seen a Panzer in stores (any paint variant)...  Never seen the 1.5 ton Dodge truck...  The Battle of the Bulge Jeep...  None of it.

I did see 1:6 Patton Tanks (RC) here and there, and the Kubels as well as Humvee's.  How that huge ticket stuff ships but 1:18 doesn't is beyond me. :( 

It's frustrating as all hell when I'm doing SW figure toy runs, hoping to at least see some 21st Century figures I need and put them on layaway, and coming home completely empty-handed.

Needless to say I hate Wal-Mart and feel they're probably the WORST retailer that this line has been stuck with.  The guys at the XD forums bitch up a storm about Toys R Us, but at least they put stuff on the shelves.  Wal-Mart's a joke, and they hinder toy licenses so much that I'd never have wished this company to have gotten involved.

I'd sooner TRU carried them, put out only U.S./Allied items, and Germans were kept to an online exclusive deal of some sort.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2005, 03:10 AM »
I guess we're sorta like you here Jesse. Still no Japs, although we got the vehicles...I guess I'll wait till the Japs are online to order them.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #216 on: July 28, 2005, 06:19 AM »
At least you've seen the vehicles...  I'd love to walk into WM see the trucks and stuff, and put a nice lay-away down... 

Figures though, they're killing me.  That's WHAT I collect, and I can't find squat...  I mean, I like tanks and stuff but I can't always justify it.  The figures though I'd be building some nice armies of guys.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2005, 07:29 PM »
OK, I have another question for you experts  :D 
I stopped by my local Target today, and I saw 3 sets of BBi Elite Force "Combat Command" 2-packs.  They are 3 3/4" figures that have the same level of articulation as G.I. Joe figures (including the same type of hip joints that are held together with a metal peg thing, but no O-Ring), however the sculpts are terrible and look more like a dollar store figure than the excellent sculpts of the TRU BBi Elite Force figures.  They retail for $5 and come with 2 figures, 5 or 6 guns (the guns are nicely detailed), and a backpack or two.
My question is this:  Is Target going to start carrying the "real" (I don't count these crappy 2-packs) BBi Elite Force figures?  I stop by this Target almost everyday and I have never seen these 2-packs before. 

I can take some pics if you want me to (yeah I bought a set in the hopes that they would be some good custom fodder ::))....

Thanks  ;D

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2005, 04:19 AM »
The current word on these is this:

-Target Exclusive Line
-No word on them carrying the real Elite Force figs
-The line has vehicles (that are underscaled...see: A-10)

Personally, I'd much rather them put out some of those WW2 figures. Or make something new...there's no need for another P-51, ME-109, F4, ect.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #219 on: August 1, 2005, 01:13 AM »
I think BBI's likely gotten some kind of deal to do a certain # of cheap-o figs for Target...  They want something on their shelves like CHap Mei or whatnot.

It's junk...  But if it's making BBI some $ to put into other stuff, so be it.  I want WW2 figs too!

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 1, 2005, 01:20 AM »
Yeah those Target figures are beyond garbage.  I'll probably just use the guns and throw out the figures  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #221 on: August 10, 2005, 01:51 AM »
So I picked up 2 of the BBI Paratroopers tonight...

The good?

-Articulation is above and beyond anything before done by BBI.  It's amazing what hinged elbows can do to figures who've done nothing but looked like **** with their piss-poor angle-cut elbows.  These guys are great though.

-Legs Apart...  BBI apparantly learned that the ****-tacular way their last couple waves of figures looked because their legs were awkwardly close together just wasn't working, so they fixed them up and now they're looking great.  Much better spacing.  Very realistic.

-Gear...  Armed to the teeth these guys are.  Some come with 2 firearms, and each ahs a heavy-weapon pack-in except one who has a duffel bag on his leg.  I got one with a kick-ass mortar and the duffel-bag guy.

They also have the first ever to-scale .45 pistols, and pineapple grenades.  Talk about kicking ass eh?  Smoke grenades too, lots of pouches...  They're just packed with gear.

-Headsculpts rock...  Really the sculpts overall rock, and it makes me only long for more WW2 items from BBI since 21st doesn't put **** at a decent retailer.  Great figures though, and the headsculpts are among their best ever if you ask me.  Just intensely realistic.  Good customizing fodder for Star Wars too!

And now, the bad and the ugly all in one...

While I like having the workking chute and all, it sucks more than enough ass that the vest and chute straps are all molded on the figure and not removable.  They look great for what they are, but I want combat ready Para's, not jumping para's, and that's gonna kill me buying anything but ONE set of these guys.

Had they been vest/chuteless, I'd want at least 3 of each figure if not more.  They're just that F'n great.  I'm sad that BBI went this other route though.  They did a great job, but they gotta ditch these packs so the figures can actually be used in multiple dioramas other than jumping or pre-jump looks.

So, that one little slight kinda killed my "high" on these.  They're neat, but only neat enough for one set and that sucks.  :(  I wanna army build, dammit.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2005, 07:13 AM »
Oh man, talk about the Great Raid. Last night at Wal-Mart, I literally jumped from the aisle to the pegs shouting: "**** Yeah!". Why? A 21st Century Display.  ;D

I hadn't seen new 21C stuff on the pegs for years and there it all was. Able figures too. I ended up getting 11 Japanese, and I intend to get more.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:30 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #223 on: August 18, 2005, 12:34 AM »
Nice score on the Japanese figures Vator...  Wish I could find them myself.  Can you post any pictures or give some reviews?

I wish 21st would get over itself with these asinine headsculpts they keep doing though.  You get liek 2 neutral guys then a buncha screaming guys.  Looks like half the group is in a Banzai charge by the pics I've seen.  :-\

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 18, 2005, 07:04 AM »
I'll try to get some up sometime with the crappy camera. They're pretty good figures over all though, definatley some of their best infantry to date.