Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 410416 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #870 on: January 22, 2010, 05:10 PM »
So I got my Brown Hair Farmboy Luke in the mail today and I smell a rat. Help me out here...

The face coloring does not match the skin coloring of the neck or hands AT ALL. It's not even close...the face is pink and the other parts are like a pale yellow. Both pieces, independent of each other, appear to be authentic. But they clearly do not match. Is this typical of some kind of foreign knock-off, or did someone pull some kind of fishy head swap?

I've seen other versions where everything matched and they looked much better. I'm thinking I should probably try for a return...

Hard to say without seeing it, but that does sound fishy.  The skin tones on mine are no different between head and rest of the body.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 25, 2010, 10:30 AM »
It gets weirder. Upon closer inspection, Farmboy Luke's neck is actually two-tone - the back half is in the normal pink and the front half is in the pale yellow which matches the hands.

Was this an ill-advised attempt at a custom paint job? Factory reject?

Not sure, but I'm sort of tempted to keep him just out of the sheer weirdness.

I went off on another bender this weekend, far exceeding my vintage budget. I did snag the Univisor Snowtrooper Variant, plus the POTF Han w/Carbonite Block and Warok. I just can't stop myself!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 29, 2010, 09:49 AM »
No new purchases this week, but I did finally receive my vintage Ackbar variants in the mail from the UK. Postmark date was 12/23...WTF?

They're great...I've got a nice little gang of five now, each with unique paint apps. The 4 new addition are all from Taiwan.

Also got my replacement carboard backdrop for the Cantina playset...looks awesome, a steal for $10.

Still waiting on Warok, Carbonite Han, Univisor Snowtrooper Variant, and my battle damaged TIE.  ;D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 29, 2010, 10:27 AM »
I received this in the mail yesterday, an Unpainted First Shot Ugnaught with no dates & holes in the feet.   ;D

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #874 on: January 29, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Wow, great find.   ;D

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #875 on: January 29, 2010, 07:50 PM »
an Unpainted First Shot Ugnaught with no dates & holes in the feet.   ;D

Is that the Swine flu shot? :D

Nice pick up.
He's no good to me open

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #876 on: January 29, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Coolio!
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 29, 2010, 11:27 PM »
Wow, cool pre-production fig Dale!
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 10, 2010, 08:59 AM »
I picked up a few vintage from a local collector yesterday.  I wandered onto Craig's List for some reason about a week ago and found someone selling vintage figures.  Turns out he had a no-dent Blue Snags (I only have the dented one thus far) and a few others that I think may be upgrades or variants to what I already have.  My cost for these was a vintage Land of the Jawas Playset with 2 Escape Pods, Vader's Star Destroyer Playset, 2 sets of Cloud Car Pilot Accessories, and $15 cold hard cash.  Feels like a lot to give up since he got a big box of loot and I got 9 figures, but I think it was a fair swap.

Blue Snags is obviously the big prize, but almost all of these have nice tight limbs.  The paint job on Red Snags, Walrus Man, Hammerhead, Bespin Guard, and Leia are all potential upgrades for me as well.  Bib is missing his accessories, but I just need him to replace one that my dog chewed up as a kid (Can't remember if that should be the Taiwan or HK version though).  Nice minty cape for Leia as well.  The only downside here is that nothing came with accessories, but they will replace figs that already have their weapons, so no worries.

Close-ups:

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #879 on: February 10, 2010, 10:10 AM »
Very, very nice score.  The Snags looks fantastic.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 10, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Good work, Blue Snags is coming upon my radar soon.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #881 on: February 10, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Looks like a decent Blue Snag - did the guy know what he had?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 10, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Looks like a decent Blue Snag - did the guy know what he had?

Thanks - there's a little more paint rub on the boots than the pictures convey, but it is a nice piece.  He seemed more knowledgable about Vintage than me - he even had a short mustache Bespin Guard that I'd never heard of.  I think it was a pretty fair trade given the condition of the playsets I gave him.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #883 on: February 11, 2010, 08:22 AM »
Ah, well that's fair, then. I think we all dream of finding the yokel with the treasure chest of toys who has no idea the worth of what he's got....

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 11, 2010, 09:34 AM »
Ah, well that's fair, then. I think we all dream of finding the yokel with the treasure chest of toys who has no idea the worth of what he's got....

Yeah, it's way more common to find the opposite...d-bags who think they're going to fund their own retirement plan by dropping a few crappy vintage figs on ebay at exorbitant prices. (ahem...Brian's Toys)