Author Topic: 2004/2005 NHL Offseason  (Read 71474 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NHL Offseason
« Reply #480 on: March 9, 2005, 11:24 AM »
I don't have a link for it (yet) but apparently Gretzky has been quoted as saying even though he won't like doing it, he'll put scabs on the ice next season (not his exact words). 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2008108

"My honest opinion is I don't like it," Gretzky said. "They're not the Sundins or the Leetches of the world. This is replacement players, and it is what it is. The commissioner has to do what he thinks is best to get the game back on the map and get it going. We're only one of 30 teams, we'll follow suit."

Anyone else think maybe the players really ought to wake up now from their little fantasy world? 

Yes.  Right or wrongs aside, at this point I agree with you Brent - the players lost. 

If they don't cave at this point, they are going to lose their jobs to scabs next year.  Hockey will be a visibly shakier game, but fans don't tend to support "greedy players" any more than they like supporting "greedy owners", it's just that "greedy owners" can get the game going again with scabs and the game is what the fans really want. 

The players at this point can't give the fans anything... unless you get European League games on satellite TV.   :P

Back to my regularily scheduled NHL nap...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #481 on: March 10, 2005, 04:14 AM »
Ya know technically they wont be replaced by "scabs", they will be replaced by guys who likely would have been called up to the big time eventually. Case in point, the AHL's Chicago Wolves are the Atlanta Thrashers top farm club. The Wolves' #1 Goaltender is Kari Lehtonen whom if the NHL had a season would have made his major league debut this year. As the Thrashers top farmclub, they have several guys who played with the parent team in the past, Ben Simon, JP Vigier, Kip Brennan, etc. These guys are NHL players who were re-assigned to the AHL level prior to the lockout. The same situation goes on I'm sure for all of the AHL teams, so it's not a situation where all the NHL teams will have is inexperienced players, they will have guys who have either logged NHL time already or were going to be called up anyway.

A true "scabs" situation would have been the 1987 NFL strike, where NFL teams played with guys who for the most part did not play in the NFL or were with the practice squads. A situation where there was no minor league system so guys were coming in from all over like the CFL, semi-pro teams, Europe, etc...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #482 on: March 10, 2005, 10:45 AM »
Ya know technically they wont be replaced by "scabs", they will be replaced by guys who likely would have been called up to the big time eventually.

Yeah, but I've seen the Houston Aeros play, and they are nowhere near the talent level of the NHL Wild.  Sure, there are some young guys with talent, but they are still raw.  They mave have potential, but they don't have "it".

Anyway you look at it, the quality won't be the same.   :(

Jeff

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 10, 2005, 12:20 PM »
Exactly.  Our Manitoba Moose team is the AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks.  We've got some decent players and a number of NHL regulars are playing in the "A" this year and have come through town.  I don't know how many of those guys that are playing in the AHL now that had a regular slot in the NHL will play though.  They may opt to sit out or pay a fairly hefty price down the road. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #484 on: March 10, 2005, 01:33 PM »
With minor leaguers maybe the Pens will be cup contenders this year. :)

Now...  I wonder...  What will Lemieux do as a player/owner?  Hmmmmm
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 01:33 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #485 on: March 11, 2005, 12:42 AM »
Ya know technically they wont be replaced by "scabs", they will be replaced by guys who likely would have been called up to the big time eventually.

Yeah, but I've seen the Houston Aeros play, and they are nowhere near the talent level of the NHL Wild.  Sure, there are some young guys with talent, but they are still raw.  They mave have potential, but they don't have "it".

Anyway you look at it, the quality won't be the same.   :(

Jeff

Yes the Aeros do suck, but they are one of the many hated enemies of the Wolves. We downed them last nite 3-1 :)
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #486 on: March 28, 2005, 05:01 PM »
Poor Sidney Crosby -

No CBA = No 2005 Entry Draft

From potential #1 pick worth millions to another year in the Juniors...  :'(

Too bad for him, the fans, AND the... um, what was it called again?  Oh yeah, NHL.  (I hardly remember it anymore...)

Jeff

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 28, 2005, 07:45 PM »
Not so sure about poor Sidney.  Depending on what the CBA final comes out as, he may well be an unrestricted free agent due to never being drafted :o  I think that will ultimately entitle him to more money than he otherwise could have signed for. 

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 30, 2005, 01:04 PM »
Saw yesterday that the NHL is considering using bigger nets.  How bout we get the players back on the ice first huh?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 30, 2005, 01:10 PM »
Saw yesterday that the NHL is considering using bigger nets.  How bout we get the players back on the ice first huh?

Sorry, but that made me laugh. :D

Was also hit by a thought that they are running a lot like government does (I work for a government agency, so I can bash em all I want :P) - logic flies out the window so they can come up with a new idea.  Hey guys, restrict the goalies equipment back to what it used to be.  Not Jacques Plante-esque, but something pre-Patrick Roy. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 01:11 PM by Morgbug »

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 31, 2005, 05:14 PM »
LA Times said this morning they're gonna meet again Monday, as if that meant a thing at this point.  I don't want to see anymore articles about them meeting. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #491 on: April 12, 2005, 04:36 PM »
In honor of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, which would have started tomorrow, I've decided that the tradition should live on through my NGC.  I've got NHL 2005 all set, the machine played out the 2004-2005 season last night and here were the results:

Eastern Conference:

1.  Tampa Bay  vs.  8.  Montreal

2.  Boston  vs.  7.  Atlanta

3.  Philiadelphia  vs.  6.  Toronto

4.  Ottawa  vs.  5.  New Jersey

Western Conference:

1.  San Jose  vs.  8.  Edmonton

2.  Detroit  vs.  7.  St. Louis

3.  Colorado  vs.  6.  Minnesota

4.  Vancouver  vs.  5.  Dallas

As my Nintendo GameCube simulates the games each night, I'll post the results here... it's just like the NHL, only it's fake!   :P

Stay tuned to find out who will win The 2005 JediDefender Nintendo GameCube Stanley Cup!

Jeff

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #492 on: April 14, 2005, 10:13 AM »
The 2005 JediDefender Nintendo GameCube Stanley Cup Playoffs are here!

Last night's scores...

Eastern Conference:

Tampa Bay 3, Montreal 1
A great PK squad help the Defending Champs beat the Habs who go 0 for 7 on the Power Play...

Philiadelphia 2, Toronto 0
The Flyers take a 1-0 lead into the final minute and get a junk empty-netter with 28seconds left to seal game 1...

Western Conference:

St. Louis 1, Detroit 0 - 3OT
Of course, it's the playoffs so somebody had to go into OT.  The Blues pull out a late goal in the 3rd OT to ice game 1...

Colorado 3, Minnesota 2
The beloved Wild fell behind quickly thanks to a pair of Avalance goals from Sakic and Forsberg in the first 3 minutes of the first period, but they stayed with the big-bad Avalanche the rest of the way...

Dallas 4, Vancouver 1
Dallas goes 3 for 4 on the Power Play in the first period and coasts from there as Vancouver was never really in it

Woot!   :P

Jeff

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 14, 2005, 10:46 AM »
The 2005 JediDefender Nintendo GameCube Stanley Cup Playoffs are here!

Philiadelphia 2, Toronto 0
The Flyers take a 1-0 lead into the final minute and get a junk empty-netter with 28seconds left to seal game 1...

Good.  I hate the Leafs.  Sweep!

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 14, 2005, 08:26 PM »
St. Louis beating my Wings in the playoffs?  Yup, definitely not realistic.