Author Topic: "Evolutions" assortment...  (Read 176937 times)

SilverZ

Re: "Evolutions" assortment...
« Reply #420 on: August 16, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Found them this morning. Man, what a great feeling to find something new that I've been dying to get. A couple assortments must be shipping because I found x4 Clones, x2 Anakins, and x2 Sith. I figure that's 2/2 Sith/Clone and 2/2 Anakin/Clone cases. They didn't have Ani's last night so they all were newly placed this morning.

I thought I'd post my initial impressions...  :)

I cracked them open and once again, like the Anakin sets, they're so, so close to being perfect figures that it's actually frustrating.

For the clones, the paint apps are perfect, especially on the AOTC one -- the carbon scoring/scuff marks are really convincing and I'm happy to see the red dust on his boots, like he's straight off Geonosis.

Even the accessory weapons are better.  The guns are a gunmetal grey plastic that have been drybrushed with aluminum highlights. They look real.  The removable helmets are a nice touch, fit well, and don't feel cheap. I think the Clone Pilot helm is a vast improvement over the Saga carded version because it has really flexible air hoses and better paint detail.

Articulation is great, with one big, glaring exception. The lack of a balljoint torso is really, really missed. It keeps the figures from being ultimately poseable. Once you're used to the superior SA Clone body, you can only be disappointed that it hasn't been modified for use on these guys. The AOTC and Sandtrooper don't even have waist articulation -- their torsos are one solid piece from the pelvis to the neck. The ROTS version gets a swivel waist for some reason. Not having the separation of the upper and lower sections also reduces the realistic appearance of the armor. It feels cheap and plasticy on a figure that otherwise is startlingly detailed and realistic. So, so close.

The same can be said of the Sith Lords. Great detail, solid sculpts, and a few articulation missteps that prevent them from being perfect. If these weren't probably our best shots at "ultimate" figures, it would be easier to overlook the minor flaw. But since these should be ultimate versions, the small instances of articulation skimping stand out as glaring problems.

Maul is nearly perfect (if you're ok with the gritting teeth) except, again, for the articulation. He has swivel elbows instead of much needed balljoints. Otherwise, he's the best Maul ever.

Dooku isn't really an improvement over the carded version so he's the oddball of the set. There's nothing wrong with him, but we already had a perfect Dooku.

I was prepared to hate the Emperor. I was shocked that I actually dig him! He is actually quite short, so he seems in scale, where from pictures and Cons in past, he seemed tall. He has balljoint elbows, shoulders, and knees. He can actually sit down. The soft goods cloak is fantastic. They've used a separate plastic choker for the neck, so you can control how much hood rises above the neck, which helps make it fit right both unhooded and hooded. When you move the hood up, you can pull cloth tight under the plastic collar to make the hood sit snugly to his head instead of ballooning out. Really impressive thought went into the soft goods on him. I can't wait to see if the standard ROTS Emperor head can be swapped onto the body, because if it can, there's an easy custom seated Emperor with a neutral face. Good times.

I should have the sets added to the Image Database tonight.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 16, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Reading your reveiw seriously gets me excited to get my hands on these!  I was trying to decide whether to buy one set (just carded/boxed) or two sets (carded and loose), but I think you just made up my mind on these.  It sounds like it would be a crime not to have a set to open.   8)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 16, 2005, 05:56 PM »
Would you say that the Clone set is worth Army Building with if we have a lot of SA Clones and VOTC Stormies?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

SilverZ

« Reply #423 on: August 17, 2005, 02:30 AM »
Honestly, I don't think so. The ROTS one is too individual and since the AOTC one is a commander, he seems a bit limited too. I'm going to open a second set to make have an improved Clone Pilot, but I think that's it. Same will probably go for the white variant set when it hits.

Also, I'm more disappointed with the Sandtrooper than when I first looked him over. I took some pictures tonight, and you can see by the poses I put him in that he's just not that flexible.

Clone Evolutions set

EDIT: Though, if you can Dremmel a slot for the backpack on a VOTC Stormie, you could probably make easy SA clean Sandtroopers since the pauldron pops off easily.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 02:32 AM by Tydirium »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2005, 02:52 AM »
Those pics look great, they're showing some nice details on the Sandtrooper. I think the problem with his flexibility is the same issue with the SA Clones. The way the armor is designed, it inhibits the joints at certain points where they can't physically move any further. I could be wrong though, I've not been lucky to find a set yet. With that said, I think these certainly can be something you'd want to army build with, since essentially in one 3 pack, you could make at least 6 unique figures. I hope to find 2 of each variant and call it a day, but I'm sure many will want to get as many as they can get their hands on.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #425 on: August 17, 2005, 02:54 AM »
I army build Commanders, so the set's good AB fodder to me...  That variation of it's far better though in my view.  A white E2 Clone, a different Commander, and Sandtrooper "grunts" (or at least a rank lower than white and orange) are enough incentive to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 17, 2005, 03:11 AM »
Tydirium,

Thanks for the pictures. Still hunting hard to find this in Utah and hope it hits in the next couple of days.
This will sound weird but would like your opinion. I looked at the Sandtrooper and it looks like he smeared his armor in Bantha Poodo.  Is it the picture or is the paint job such that it looks smeared? Doesn't change that I want the set but just wondering.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #427 on: August 17, 2005, 04:49 AM »
Thanks for the pics.  The clones look great.  I think the big thing for me (besides the variant set, which is really where it's at) is the inclusion of the pilot helmet.  That's really the extra mile for Hasbro and I'm glad they did it.

I wish they had waist articulation, too, but since I'll only buy one of each clone set, I'm cool with it.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #428 on: August 17, 2005, 05:11 AM »
I totally lucked upon a couple of Clone sets at a WM today too (no Sith though)...  8)

And, yeah, nice pix Jared!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 05:11 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 17, 2005, 07:10 AM »
The Wal-Mart on the westside of town just did their reset, and I was able to score the Anakin Evolution set...along with a case load of Japanese Infantry.  :D
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 17, 2005, 11:06 AM »
I've heard reports of these hitting my area as well. Oh, well, no rest for my weary wallet. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

SilverZ

« Reply #431 on: August 17, 2005, 05:11 PM »
I looked at the Sandtrooper and it looks like he smeared his armor in Bantha Poodo.  Is it the picture or is the paint job such that it looks smeared? Doesn't change that I want the set but just wondering.

It looks like that in person.  :-\

And that's what it looks like to me, too -- dookie. Though it may be Dewback Dung. Hard to tell, but it sure isn't sand. I know, because sand is coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. But it never smears.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 05:12 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 17, 2005, 08:33 PM »
I looked at the Sandtrooper and it looks like he smeared his armor in Bantha Poodo.

You do what you like, I'll do what I like.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #433 on: August 18, 2005, 10:04 AM »
Maybe he's some sort of German fetish stormtrooper. Why wasn't Cartman's mom included in this set?

I finally found the Anakin evolution set last night, and I'm loving these sets. What an excellent set! I really hope this line sells, because I think this line has a great deal of potential. I would love to have a bounty hunter set, with a super-articulated removeable helmet Jango Fett. Or even a "villains" set with a taller, sturdier (plastic) Greivous with a softgoods (and correctly colored) cape.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 10:09 AM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #434 on: August 18, 2005, 06:44 PM »
Sith & Clone/Stormtrrooper now available… a little spendy though

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=104136;category_id=;pcid1=;pcid2=
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird