Author Topic: Matte vs. Flat  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
  • NO! This one goes here; and that one goes here.
    • View Profile
Matte vs. Flat
« on: January 3, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Hey Gang!  Happy New year!  Is there a differnce between the two?  I always thought Matte was just another name for Flat, but now I'm not sure. I bought and tried a Matte finish arcylic spray ( I still CANNOT find Testors Dull-Coat!) and it doesnt LOOK Flat.  :-[

Is Testors Dull-Coat an acrylic spray? or something else??

thanks for the read ya'll
This is my avatar. Talon Karrde

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
Re: Matte vs. Flat
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2006, 05:23 PM »
Happy New Year, Talon!  Yes, you're right, "matte" and "flat" are synonymous.

I'm not sure of the chemical makeup of Testors Dullcote, but I use it with acrylic paints, and it's just fine.  With it and other similar sprays, it often takes more than one coat before things look truly matte / flat. 

As for Testors Dullcote, you may be able to order it from the www.testors.com website, tho' it may be a bit pricey ordered from there. 

Best of luck, and happy customizing!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2006, 05:50 PM »
Good question, I think Findswoman is correct here.

I've never used Testors products before, I use the matte acrylic sealer spray that Walmart carries in their arts/crafts section.

:P

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2006, 05:22 PM »
thanks ya'll.  I beleive thats what I have CHEWIE, however the one i has quite a shine to it.  I'll have to go back and see if i can find one not as shiny.  thanks for the link findswoman, hopefully i can get some Dull stuff.  much appreciated.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2006, 02:57 PM »
 speaking of testor's dullcote, I recently purchased a can of it and am afraid that I have sprayed it to close to the figure I wanted to seal, as it's been left to dry for a few days now and it's still a bit sticky
not very sticky, as it doesn't leave any sticky residue on my fingers, nor does it leave any finger marks on the figure, but I may have applied it too close of the figure or paybe applied too much.

How do I apply this stuff?

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2006, 04:05 PM »
I've had problems with sticky touch after spraying matte coats.  I'm looking forward to hearing the answers from this one.

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2006, 02:11 PM »
speaking of testor's dullcote, I recently purchased a can of it and am afraid that I have sprayed it to close to the figure I wanted to seal, as it's been left to dry for a few days now and it's still a bit sticky
not very sticky, as it doesn't leave any sticky residue on my fingers, nor does it leave any finger marks on the figure, but I may have applied it too close of the figure or paybe applied too much.

How do I apply this stuff?

My guess is that you sprayed to close to the figure.  I plan to test that tonite to see if my "theory" is correct.  I also noticed that when sprayed onto unpainted figures, its REALLY tacky, and doesnt completly dry, its not to bad on painted surfaces; but I am using matte acrylic sealer spray from Walmart.   :D

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2006, 02:26 PM »
I've been pondering putting some weathering on my custom Darktrooper but once I found an image of the actual thing I figured I didn't need to.  However (This is why I posted to this thread) I do think he could be a little glossy like the photo shows.  What would be the best way to make it look like shiny armor w/o turning it into a figure that's too shiny aka "candy apple" trooper?  Overdoing it would stink and I don't know how to fix it if I did...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2006, 02:57 PM »
Gamesworkshop sells a "paint" called Hardcoat.  It is water based coating that leaves the figures very shiny.  I was told that if you water it down, the shininess will diminish.  You might try something like that, although I'd try it on a different figure first!

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 08:12 AM »
Thanks!  I'll have to try that!