Author Topic: Darth_Anton's customs  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Darth_Anton's customs
« on: February 20, 2006, 01:49 PM »
This page has been updated 6/23/06. Please scroll down the posts untill you hit the pixs. ;)

Sorry if this isn't the proper way to go about asking but...

I have an extra Madine that I would like to customize. Ultimately, I'd like to end up with a Hoth Madine and a fleet uniform Reekin. Reekin is easy enough, the question I have is about making the Hoth Madine. Now, I'm not a sculpter, so I have to stick to simple head swapping and I don't care for the Reekin body, so I'd rather use Derlin's.

Is this what you guys would do?
Also, it looks like the neck is a seperate piece on Derlin. Is this true? Will it pop out using the hot water/plastic softening method so I can put Madine's in and have the joint function?
Finally, what do you suggest for the rank? Scrape off the three pips and paint your own?

Expert advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 8)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 09:36 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Need Madine/Derlin/Reekin custom tips
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Do you have a dremel Darth Anton?  If so I think the neck peg thing on Derlin can be removed pretty easily by the boil and pop method, then you could just dremel the neck hole a bit to squeeze in the Madine head.  Should be pretty simple I would think.

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 04:05 AM »
Hmmm, I'll try tacklign some things...

-Fleet Riekean...  Not sure if you're wanting Riekean in the Madine outfit or not Anton but if it were me I'd dig up a Captain Antilles figure and pop the Riekean head onto that uniform since, to me, that's the "Fleet" uniform plus the insignia's match up of course...  I consider the Madine duds a whole other branch of the military...  Not to get into technicalities or anything, it's just how I explain the differences in duds.

-Hoth Madine...  On the Major Derlin body, I haven't popped one yet but I'm 99% sure that the neck peg is separate and pops out of the body.  Why, I have not clue as it's somehow more complex without adding squat to the figure but Hasbro's done this with a couple figures int he last year or so.

Like CHEWIE mentioned, if you have a dremel that's your best bet...  Without having them both popped apart completely it's tough for me to tell ya if a Madine noggin' would pop into the Derlin body and retain articulation and move fluidly, and still look right too (IE: would the neck length of Derlin be long enough to fit on Derlin's body and look right?).  What I'd do is cut the Madine head off and hollow it so it fit the ball on the Derlin neck, however this gets touchy and could be fairly easy to mess up if you're not "comfortable" with using a Dremel tool...  Or fitting a regular neck/head figure to the new "ball/socket" necks.

That's some advice from me...  Not a lot, but we can keep the discussion going at least and see what we can come up with.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:41 AM »
Thanks Chewie and Jesse. And yes, I was planning to use the Madine body for Reekin's head. The Antillies body suggestion is a great one, however, I traded my extra Antillies away. :P

I have access to a dremel, but, I'm not comfortable hollowing out the Madine head. However, the owner of the dremel might be. He's got good steady hands. Chewie. Are you saying the Derlin neck whole has to be made larger from experience? Or is that what you do to all you figures to help get a head back in?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Anton, I had been meaning to do this for a while and your question got me off my butt to do it, so I made a similar version to what you're talking about last night.  The two guys on the outside are Derlin bodies.

For these heads at least I didn't need to dremel any on the Derlin neck hole, I just trimmed the neck pegs a bit on the trooper heads.

You can also go the route of dremeling out the head of a figure to make it a ball joint type socket, but I've found that doing them the old fashioned way is a lot easier and less likely to ruin a head.

:P

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 09:35 AM »
LOL. I was thinking of doing the same thing with the extra Reekin Body. I know I have and extra Hoth head laying around. Thanks Chewie. 8)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 7, 2006, 11:17 PM »
FYI, I finally got around to making my customs. I wound up just sticking the Madine head on the Derlin body, and boy was it easy. Using boil and pop, the neck portion of Derlin came right out. The peg hole is square. Next, I poped Madine's head out. I was a very easy removal as the peg was more like the Dodonna/Anillies arms and fit snugly right into the square hole of Derlin. Snug and functioning and all!

Using the cast Lucas head Master Phruby gave me, I put that on the Madine body.  Using a small drill bit, I hand drilled a hole in the head and jury rigged a peg to fit into the Madine neck cavity. That one's not as sturdy, but it works.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 8, 2006, 01:08 AM »
Good to see you customizing Anton.  Got any pics?

:)
« Last Edit: April 8, 2006, 03:59 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 8, 2006, 10:01 AM »
I have a bunch of pictures to take. My wife has the Digital Camera on her trip right now, so I have an even better excuse than laziness untill tomorrow. ;)

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 8, 2006, 04:42 PM »
I want to see that Lucas. This should be extremely cool.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Darth_Anton's customs
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 10:07 PM »
I've been threatening to do this for a while, and I've finally done it. I took some pictures of some of my customs and put them up for all to see.

Without further adieu...(and my apologies for the inferior lighting.)

Note: the Lucas head (curtesty of Master Phruby) is sitting on a make shift peg. While it does have function and is fairly tight, it does come out if played with. Sticking the Madine head in the Derlin body was frighteningly easy.

Simple head swaps.

Used the Preview R3 for the astomech. I think I painted that in the POTJ days.

These are two of my favorites. I used a modeling clay to sculpt the Imperials hat and the Bespin hat fits perfectly on the Tarkin head. I had to sand the torso to close the jacket, but not a whole lot.

Simple stuff, but affective.

I forgot to take a picture of my Incredible Cross Sections Hoth Biker Scout. That'll be for next time. ;)

I've just posted picture of my Imperial Base HERE. Enjoy
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 02:03 AM by Darth_Anton »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 11:17 PM »
Great work bowling master! That Lucas head looks really familure for some reason. I wonder where I saw that before?? ;)

I need to talk to you and the boys about helping setting up the Star Wars World group project for C4 next year.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 02:04 AM »
Paul, forgot to give you credit for the Lucas head. Edit made. ;)

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 10:43 PM »
I love Gen. Lucas. I'm going to have to borrow that Idea. It was worth the wait.
even though its just a head swap, I love that figure.
The astro mech gooks great too. BTW How exactly does one swap an R2 head? Ive tried it before with embarrassing results. Can it be done without much destruction?

Keep em coming.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 11:20 PM »
Nice stuff Anton, it's nice to see your updates.

My favorite is actually the Madine on the Derlin body... that looks so damn natural.  Hell yeah, I will be copying this idea if you don't mind.

The gray Imperials all look cool here too - did you add some sort of strap for their gun holster?

:)