Author Topic: Don's Customs  (Read 2309 times)

Offline don

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Don's Customs
« on: March 1, 2006, 03:17 PM »
 I have been meaning to post my custom figures for quite some time, but have been busy. In fact I am actually writing you all from Iraq where I am serving with the US Army. (Please don't make this thread political, if you have a question or something you would like to say about Iraq feel free to PM, but I would like to see this thread stay non-political. I only mention Iraq because I think it's pretty amazing that I am able to post this from here.)
 Anyway, since I didn't actually bring my figures these aren't recent customs. I have had the photos with me, but just didn't make the time to post them.
 I am a big fan of Tatooine. So alot of these are Tatooine background style fan fiction.
 Some of you may remember the Sith Witch and Evil-Quay that I posted just before coming over here. I had planned to follow up so here is a follow up.
 Some Old school first. Anyone remember Stephen Hayford? He sculpted and cast these first two heads for me:

I call this guy my Tatty-Fatty. Mostly it's Wuher, the head is Porkins and the fur-lined hood is from that EU Obi-Wan figure from a couple years ago.

Another Wuher body, this time a Ketwal head.

And on a Bosheck body.

Some Rodians.

A couple of those Rodians don't fit the Tatooine theme of this post, but whattayagonnado?

Some type of pilot dude.

And here are some Weequay guards. First is the one from Jabbas palace, but with a belt and loin cloth upgrade from the Skiff Lando.

And a couple FanFiction Weequays.

The shorty-quay is an Ugnaught lower body, and Skiff Lando upper body. I dremeled out the weequay head to fit the new ball jointed neck and sculpted the do-rag myself. His belt is also sculpted and the holster is from Skiff Lando. The other is mainly just Weequay with a jedi skirt and new paint job.
 It's late, gotta get to bed. I look forward to hearing from you all!
« Last Edit: March 1, 2006, 03:59 PM by don »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Don's Customs
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2006, 03:25 PM »
Very nice set of custom Don, and it's good to see you are still able to post here!  I hope you can do so more often but understand you obviously have more important things going on.

I like the short Weequay, that's something you don't see too much of, shorter types of aliens but it's totally believable.  I like the Tatty-Fatty guy the most, that's a great idea on the fur collar.  The Ketwol head on a Wuher body is great too, really looks like a real character you'd see in the background of one of the moview sets.

I totally remember Stephen Hayford, I used to chat with him a bit.  I remember his awesome Mos Eisley diorama very well. 

Take care over there and come home safe.   :)

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: March 1, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Wow we have not 1 but 2 Army guys posting from Iraq (jedistyle is the other one.) It's pretty cool they let you guys post on here. Like Justin said be safe, I look forward to seein more of your work when you get back. :)

Onto the customs you've posted. I like the Ranat a lot. The weequay and the pilot guy look really nice as well. For some reason I really like the tatty-fatty too. The Wuher body and the hood blend together very nicely.

One thing you may consinder doing next time you have a chance to work on these is to hit them with a coat of dullcote. It should tone down the glossiness and help to prevent the paint form chipping a bit.
"This is the way."

Offline don

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 4, 2006, 05:15 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Actually I think jedistyle is in Afganistan. Probably been to Iraq at some point though...

As to the glossy look, they don't look as bad in person, but the camera flash really brings out the shine. Anyone know how to avoid that?

I have a couple figures here in Iraq with me (Tusken, Sandtrooper, 3PO, R2) and plan to get some out-in-the-desert pictures of them. I'll post them eventuallly...

Also hope to get a few more of my customs up...someday.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 4, 2006, 09:26 PM »
I have a couple figures here in Iraq with me (Tusken, Sandtrooper, 3PO, R2) and plan to get some out-in-the-desert pictures of them. I'll post them eventuallly...

You'd better mofo!  Been waitin' on those pics.  Did you glue 3p0's arm back together?

(B from Road's)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2006, 09:45 PM »
Awesome set of customs Don!
I really like that Rat guy (the first custom) - who is Stephen Hayford?

The Ketwol on Boshek body looks cool, is that a complete repaint or just a headswap?  Either way it's very effective and looks cool.  I can definitely see him hanging around a Tatooine cantina.

Those Fanfic Weequays are great, they would help fill out a Tatooine diorama effectively.  The mini-Weequay is a great custom, it's very original.  I would have never thought to do that; it turned out awesome (especially the 'doo rag)  ;D

Stay safe over there!

The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 5, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Hey Don!

Welcome to Jedidefender! It's always good to have more people join us here, and the hobby of customizing in general. The fact that you're able to post from Iraq is pretty amazing... I'm glad you've joined us, and I thank you for your service.

You've made some really cool looking fan-fic aliens...I can easily see these guys motoring around Mos Eisley. My favorites would probably be the Pacithips, (Ketwol) but I think the little Weequay is really original. I think I'd name him "Scrappy."  :P

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 6, 2006, 04:25 PM »
You know Don, I really like this Rodian - looks like something Greedo really would wear -

:P

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #8 on: March 6, 2006, 04:30 PM »
That one's my fav as well... very fashionable!
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird