Author Topic: Battle of Tatooine Wave  (Read 81855 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Battle of Tatooine Wave
« Reply #315 on: May 25, 2006, 11:30 AM »
Nice Hem Dazon photos. Good sculpt there... though I wonder how he gets those huge feet through the legs of those "ball-hugger" pants he's wearing.  ;D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2006, 12:10 PM »
The figures look awesome I am totally in to getting them all except for Han/Vader.

To get really nit picky I have to say I am a bit dissapointed that the articulation is lacking. If Garandin had knee articulation he would be a perfect 10!
Hammerehead is really lacking, the sculpt is superb but he has POTF2 style articulation. anyone else a little bothered by this. For the higher price tag at least stay on par with Sith. ???

Still really nice sculpts, I will have to get an extra Hammerhead to paint Vintage style with the blue shirt. He was my favorite figure when I was a kid.....
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 25, 2006, 08:24 PM »
For those of you complaining about articulation, I look at it this way.

Hasbro was expecting the line to end in very much the same way it had after Return of the Jedi. Why invest more time and money into something that you expect to fail? Therefore, Hasbro designed these figures with failure in mind.
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 25, 2006, 08:59 PM »
I really don't buy that, Shawn.  One of the biggest toy companies in the world expecting their toys to fail?  Especially after they extended the license for over ten years?  I think it's simply that you have different sculptors working on different characters, with decisions made on how feasible extra joints would be, or look on the figure.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 25, 2006, 09:05 PM »
E.T.?!    :P

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 25, 2006, 09:07 PM »
Well, I think it is plausible. Regardless, I do not see how articulation is such a huge issue with figures like this. If a main character, depending upon the costume, is not given a lot of articulation in a new sculpt or a trooper, then I will be mad. I do not really set up dioramas, and if I did, I wouldn't really be angry about certain figures not being able to sit at the cantina. Momaw Nadon and Hem Dazon certainly did not.
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 25, 2006, 09:36 PM »
I do not really set up dioramas, and if I did, I wouldn't really be angry about certain figures not being able to sit at the cantina. Momaw Nadon and Hem Dazon certainly did not.

Momaw Nadon "certainly did not" sit at the cantina?  How sure are you?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 09:38 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2006, 09:44 PM »
Even if they didn't, which they clearly did, it'd still be nice for Hasbro to give us complete articulation for the $$$ they're charging for it.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #323 on: May 25, 2006, 11:07 PM »
Momaw Nadon and Hem Dazon certainly did not.

Have you seen SW ANH?
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 25, 2006, 11:20 PM »
Well at least they did not include a chair with them. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #325 on: May 26, 2006, 12:27 AM »

Hem was seated at the same table as Bom Vimdin, Braniac and Arliel Schous

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 26, 2006, 01:13 AM »
Knees?  They had knees?   ;)

I agree, I want knee articulation on all figures.  When they don't give it to them, it's not going to keep me from buying them, but as an opener who loves to set up dioramas, Hasbro limits what we can do when they do this.

:)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #327 on: May 26, 2006, 02:09 AM »
First off, the Hem photos are great and I really love that he has an all-new blaster sculpt to FINALLY give us an accurately sculpted/scaled Ponda Baba blaster.  This is especially cool to me because Ponda's pistol was a common Rebel blaster on Hoth too so I consider it sort of the second "Rebel Blaster" behind the one seen used by the RFT's and Death Star Troopers...

That said, about articulation, I think everyone's said what I would in reply to JediShawn's points... 

That's fine you don't "play" (pose, whatever) with your toys like some of us may do, but the fact remains they are toys nonetheless and Hasbro charges a lot of bones for these little action figures comparatively speaking to other toy lines.  So from a competitive level that's one reason I think Hasbro can do better by the fans for articulation.  Hasbro's behind the times on articulation while other toy lines are decades ahead, literally in some cases.

The next point I'd make is that Star Wars figures have gone from as low as $5 to as high as $7+ in the span of a couple years...  That'd be fine and dandy by me if EVERY figure leaped in quality and Hasbro's "standard" or bar they set for action figures was matched by 90% of them...  I'm leaving 10% for "Senators" and other type figures that have a long plastic skirt piece or robe that inheritly inhibits articulation...  But on Cantina aliens, when we got 3 at the tail-end of 2004 with 12 points of articulation as a minimum, I'm as disappointed in seeing lacking articulation as I am when we get a Commtech Stormtrooper recarded instead of the VOTC...  Hasbro CAN do better for $7+ a figure, so why not expect it out of them?  I mean, one doesn't settle for buying a brand new car these days without an air conditioner in it, ya know what I mean?  You paid the same for the car as you would for one with it, so don't you deserve the A/C unit?  It may run fine without it but I'd want it.

I'm a firm believer that even if a character stands around for 2 seconds of screentime, that doesn't mean articulation SHOULD be shorted.  In actuality, the only way I feel articulation should get shorted is when, as I noted earlier, a robe/skirt piece interferes...  Softgoods on everything is asking a lot, so I'm cool with say Mas Ameda not having leg articulation for the sake of his outfit...  Though I do think a cloth skirt would be cool, cloth's a costly expense itself, much less cloth on top of articualtion...  But anyway, when nothing's there to interfere, I do think that wrists, knees, and elbow articulation are ALL must-haves for a new "standard" to this line.

For Momaw to lack all 3, well that just sucks...  And it's a flaw on Hem Dazon and Garindant then as well, though obviously they're better than old Momaw there.

But yeah, anyway, that's my thinking on it...  I firmly believe Hasbro can do better, and a character's place in the films shouldn't dictate whether he gets 6 or 16 points of articulation to me...  It should get something better than articulation we saw in 1995, and barely better than what we got in 1978 (focusing on Momaw here, but the thought applies across the line IMO).  I just want a better toy that's more fun to open, play with, and enjoy...  To me that's better not just for me as a collector with a kid's heart, but for kids who enjoy the line as well.

As far as Hasbro throwing their hands in the air and saying it's a dead line, I don't agree with that at all...  Not just for the contract extension but for the fact LFL's got plans for Star Wars...  Hasbro won't abandon anything so long as there's money to be made.  If they honestly thought this was dead, there wouldn't have been a wave a month till May this year...  You'd see far less being offered I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 26, 2006, 02:20 AM »
I agree with you Jesse, completely. 

Jedishawn, I disagree with you on this, but your opinion is still valid, even though most of us are in disagreement with you on this. 

Most of us are just kids at heart and want to get the most possible... for most of us, this will be our 4th Hammerhead... (vintage, POTF2, SAGA Cantina, and now SAGA2) - with how long we've dedicated our collecting life to Star Wars and put so much money into it, I think we deserve to get the articulation we want on these.  The sculpts are now there in my opinion... but I think they can include articulation too that we want.

Plus like Jesse said, they did it with the POTC cantina figures, and it's damn nice that they did. 

:)

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 26, 2006, 03:53 AM »
Jesse, you said it and I don't think I could have said it any better. I totally agree, but I can't pass up on the Momaw Nadon. He looks awesome and Ithorian rock, but again yes Hasbro did short change us on him with articulation. If he didn't look as good as he does I wouldn't be getting him. On the other two they could have added ball-joints to the knees with very little work. If you look at other toy lines that are big with everyone they all have great articulation, because kids don't want action figure that are statues. That defeats the purpose of the title action figures. Sometimes I think Hasbro is a machine that  can't be reprogrammed and is always making bad mistakes then repeating them, that is why we keep getting the short end of the stick with them. Look what they did with the 3 3/4th GI Joe line. They tried that before with changing the scale, and we all know what happened with that. The only smart thing they did was keeping the 3 3/4th scale line around, but only on-line which is bad.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link