Author Topic: 30AC Comic Packs #01 - Kir Kanos/Carnor Jax  (Read 34037 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Exclusive Kir Kanos/? Two-Pack
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2006, 02:17 PM »
Again, if you're concerned about how fast you'll receive it, place your order early.  I usually don't care how soon I receive my items (as long as I receive them)!

EE.com is VERY dependable as is the fan club so really it's a crap shoot.  Though, from my experience, EE.com is better at making sure your items arrive in mint condition. 

That's their claim to fame.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2006, 02:32 PM »
Thankas for the info, ruiner!

I'll be ordering from EE then.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2006, 08:10 PM »
Well I ordered mine :) I cannot wait, feels good to get an EU figure, especially one that i really want.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Word_Weaver

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama! (Woah, that's what I was gonna put!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2006, 09:11 PM »
I'll order him in October when my birthday rolls around with more cash.  :)

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2006, 10:26 PM »
I just ordered this!

I couldn't believe the shipping prices I saw--$22.50 just for 2-day shipping! sheesh!

Well, I'll be excited in September when this thing comes...I can hardly even wait until then!
Yo is what yo is.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2006, 10:39 PM »
...I can hardly even wait until then!

It's important to be patient.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:39 PM by ruiner »

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2006, 11:00 PM »
I know, I know...but I'm new to pre-orders...I don't know how I'll be handling this come August. I might explode.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: EE Exclusive Kir Kanos/? Two-Pack
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2006, 11:23 PM »
I don't know why we all have to complain about the articulation in the figures this year. By quality, I am assuming that articulation is what you are referring to, because the detail has been nothing but great on all of the figures this year.

Regardless, why is articulation such a huge issue? I do not mean to get off topic here, but I just want to know. For main characters and troopers I want a lot of articulation, but for other characters, a lot of it really isn't necessary.

In the same respect, why is articulation so bothersome to you when people want it?  ;)  I mean, seriously this has been a couple times now that people wanting something more for their money has "bothered" you enough to mention it Shawn so it seems articulated figures are a nuisance to you on some level...  Is wanting more/better that bad though?

Fact is the figures have gone up in price and really they haven't gone up in quality at all in any respect, and regressed in quality in others...  So that's where the main complaint lies with me personally.  For $5 retail I'd probably be citing the poor articulation a lot less on any of the figures and praising it more on figures like the AT-AT Driver or Coruscant Firefighter...

Quality on a per-figure basis in other terms is very relative to each and every figure...  One's sculpt may seem sub-par to even a line from 6 years ago, or the quality of materials used, or paint applications may be sloppy compared to even a POTF2 figure...  It's possible on any figure really, so I wouldn't say we're getting the best we ever have with the new Saga line all the time either, it just depends on the figure at hand...  Ultimately this year's line-up aren't better though than 2005 or 2004 even to really be giddy about an increased price for getting the same (or in lots of cases) less out of the toy.

That said though, articulation is a point of the overall quality of the toy...  One of several.  Since they are toys and not statues like GG or some other company is inclined to produce, I'm more interested in the articulation on them to cite it as a flaw in its "quality" overall when there's less, especially with the price increases we saw this year from just a year ago.

For me, articulation isn't limited to main characters, secondary characters, troopers or what have you...  It should be limited by the nature of the costume only when the price of figures goes up to $7 and change each...  The line, to me, is still going to be judged by comparable boy's toys products on the shelves it shares, and right now the basic line's lagging behind in articulation compared to where it even was a year ago unfortunately.  Even the figures with less articulation often were littered with a complex inner-mechanism for an action feature so you still were ultimately "getting more for less" as it were...

As a consumer of this line, I think articulation then is a huge deal in terms of what I collect and want out of the toy.  Give me knee joints on figures over a stand and mini-holo any day for sure.

As far as the Kir Kanos 2-pack, I love it but the price is right along the lines of what we've come to expect out of exclusives...  It's not great.  It's better than a $15 Clone repaint at Target though...  Plus the figures have lots of "new" elements to them that really make you feel like you're getting something superior to a repaint too for the price...  The comic, to me, is irrelevant, but it's something to consider somewhat with the pricing...  Either way the figure we've seen looks great and I'm really curious to see the next one...  The price is the expected inflated exclusive price at this point though.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2006, 11:01 AM »
So, I sent an e-mail to NewForce Comics to see if they would be carrying the Kir Kanos 2-Pack.

Here's what they had to say...

here is what hasbro emailed me:

> It's EE, Star Wars Shop and Hasbro Toy Shop exclusive only.

rick

I imagine that a few of the other on-line shops will be able to carry this exclusive if they buy through EE's wholesale program (like many places did with the Astromech Droids) , but it doesn't look like there will be a cheap "by the case" option on this one...  :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Thanks for the update Jeff. 

re: articulation - I look at what is accomplished in other lines for a comparable price - ToyBiz is a good example with LOTR and Marvel Legends.  Both of those lines are similar in price (US retail) to the current offerings of 3.75" Star Wars figures from Hasbro.  Yet they are not only better articulated but also they are physically larger, often have better paint application (attention to detail), more accessories (even if just a BAF but look at some of the junk Legolas figures came with :o) AND have better application. 

For a comparable price it is then a fair point to make a complaint about lack of accessories or articulation from Hasbro in the Star Wars line.  Sure, the licensing fee probably costs more, but I'd hazard a guess they sell a lot more units per figure thereby reducing the cost of the unit even with the licensing fee.  But when you start looking at other lines, you realize Hasbro is cheaping out, especially when you look within the line to see that super-articulated are available on occasion.  No, not every figure needs a ton of articulation.  I'd accept that too much articulation is a detriment at times.  But less of a detriment than too little articulation.  Knees, ankles, hips, shoulders, elbows, wrists, neck, waist.  14 points should be a standard except where it's not reasonable to do so because of a sculpt.  I can live without ankles if they want to drop it to 12 and if they put in ball-jointed elbows they can drop the wrist articulation to get it down to 10. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2006, 03:21 PM »
Mystery figure..is it Carnor? Perhaps we should ask Mr. Pawlus himself...I'll bet he knows. I saw him in here today.

EDIT: NM, He ran right after I PM'ed him about it.

EDIT#2: He came back in here, gave me a 'corporate' reply >:(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 03:57 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2006, 03:33 PM »
I was on the fence with this one, but went ahead and preordered one for now.  I've always been interested in the Kir Kanos story, but haven't actually read it at this point.  I noticed in the little news story at Star Wars.com about this figure pack, that Kir Kanos and his mystery figure partner are the 2nd and 3rd figures in the "all new expanded universe series that started with the Shadow Stormtrooper".  Maybe that was common knowledge, but I didn't know that until I read it today.  I wonder what other figures we'll see in this "series".

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2006, 03:37 PM »
Good point to consider Brian..sounds like a new topic for discussion :)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2006, 04:10 PM »
What's the point in not announcing the second figure?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2006, 04:19 PM »
I guess it draws interest for EE :-\? (they don't need any help,though)

I guess we'll find out at the CC. I'll be pissed if it's the figure most are expecting-not that we're getting it but only to wait that stupidly long for an announcement that most expected all along >:(. Would be pleasantly surprised if it was someone else though.