Author Topic: Mr. Black's customs: Ven Zallow v4 update  (Read 121394 times)

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
Re: Incom's customs: Krath Shocktrooper finished!
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2008, 10:36 AM »
great work on the krath, i've always loved that cover art. nice to see a clever mock-up done in such a masterly way....

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Incom's customs: A-Wing overhaul WIP 07/14/08
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2008, 07:32 AM »
A belated thanks, Depressis  ;D Anyway, I've been working on and off on a couple of customs, but this is my current centerpiece on the work bench:

After reading a very interesting FSM article on weathering natural metal on a P-47 Thunderbolt, I immediately was inspired to do a similar treatment to a Star Wars ship. I picked the A-Wing for this project and went to work.

First, I removed a lot of the raised panel lines and scribed in new ones:

Then I base coated the thing with a couple of layers of silver spray paint:

Next, I detailed the engines and engine fins with some markings and washes. I'll add more washes after reassembling the fighter.

I'll also revamp the seat and cockpit with sheet styrene. Hopefully I succeed in making some decent on board computer panels and a center column. I'll use reference pictures from the Incredible Cross Sections book.

I then ran into serious painting trouble the last couple of days. It appears the spray paint I used does not accept my Tamiya and Citadel paints at all. Anyway, I decided to mask off the sides and sprayed a layer or two of Chaos Black on the middle section. I'll go over that with some Citadel blue shades, don't worry.

Panel lines have received a wash as well, which was fun to do. Also gave some panels a thinned down gunmetal wash.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2008, 09:47 AM »
That's an amazing amount of detail. Can't wait to see the cockpit, love when those things are accurate.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2008, 07:24 AM »
Thanks D_A, I'll do my best. I'm even thinking about adding some lighting, as adviced by CorranHorn at FFURG. Never done that, but there's a first for everything. I hope I'll be able to finish the upper body paint scheme and add some decals tonight.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Incom's customs: A-Wing overhaul WIP 07/22
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Paintwork on the upper body is done, only need to touch up here and there. The engine section is about done for now. Final weathering and such will be applied after reassembling the A-Wing.

Ran into a slight problem with my decal. I used clear decal paper, instead of white, but now a part of the yellow marking on top of the fins is showing through   ::)  Didn't see that one coming...

On a cool note, the silver is also showing through a bit which gives the decal a metallic look. Pretty neat   ;D  (imho, anyway).

Already looked around some modeler's sites on how to add a couple of LEDs. I think that'll look really cool.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Incom's customs: A-Wing overhaul WIP 07/24
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Another update: the upper body is done, safe for the final weathering.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2008, 05:11 PM »
And immediately another WIP entering its final stages. This is just a practice dummy for sculpting. I like to think of this one as some sort of Juggernaut commander. Spray painted in black, painted in Codex Grey, then heavily dry brushed in Fortress Grey. I want to work up to Skull White dry brushing and then make some sort of arctic camo scheme on his kama and a yet to be made poncho  8)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2008, 05:28 PM »
The A-Wing is coming along great!  Neat idea with the tail art...kinda WWII'ish!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Incom's customs: A-Wing and Tank Cmdr WIP
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2008, 01:22 PM »
So I put on the last layer of dry brushed Skull White and camouflaged the kama. Honestly, I think it looks like CRAP   >:(

I tried to apply a temperate snow camo pattern, following directions mentioned here, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted to.

So, I drew this nice kama at work (it's real quiet like there) and I'll practice my patterns in photoshop. Feel free to join in so I can get some ideas for free   ;D  :P

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2008, 10:03 PM »
I love where you are going with the A-Wing paint!  It reminds me of a paintscheme on a P-51 Mustang or a P-38 Lightning. 

I couldn't really see the decal in detail, so the following is just a random technique I've had success with.  Not saying your project needs it. 

I found from my days of building model planes, if you really want to make the edges of the decal disappear and make it look like it was painted on, hit it with a light layer of Dullcoat after you apply the decal.  It looks like you chose a pretty high sheen silver, so it wouldn't dull that up too much. 

I'd practice the technique on something else though first.  :)

The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 1, 2008, 09:33 AM »
Thanks S_H! Good to hear from you again  :) Yeah I know: a nice coat of sealant is obligatory  ;)

Anyway, I did some colouring in PSE. How's this?

I am much more pleased with this pattern. Maybe loose the yellow brown colour? I dunno. Pretty hard, getting this camo thing together.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Incom's customs: A-Wing minor update 8/10
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Ok, a minor update, but a lot of work for it   :-\ I got busy with the cockpit. Here is the right side panel. Not glued in place yet, just a test fit. I use the POTF2 A-Wing's stickers, the ICS book and my own imagination for reference. The panel with little squares is a series of lights (and it's loose), but I think I'll leave that one out and make one from the clear plastic of a CD case. I'd like to try my hand at some  LSD LED stuff....

The left side panel is nearly done, but man it's hard work cutting all that out of a 1 mm thick sheet of styrene...

Offline Commissar

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Incom's customs: A-Wing minor update 8/10
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2008, 08:49 AM »
That is some amazing work on the A-Wing; always been my favorite rebel ship. :)

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Incom's customs: Ohk Moffu - Aqualish mercenary
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Thanks Commissar, the A-Wing is pretty nice indeed. Plus, its small size is great to work with for a first custom vehicle!

Took a little break from this project and made an Aqualish mercenary for this month's Yakfinities.

Ohk Moffu was an Aqualish mercenary/gun for hire. Like most of his species, he was crude and quite aggressive. Double crossing on deals was also one of his traits, which led to his unfortunate demise, when one of his scams was discovered by one of Jabba's henchmen.

head: Ponda Baba
hands: Ponda Baba
torso: Animated Debut Boba Fett
arms: ROTS Agen Kolar
belt/holster: Animated Debut Boba Fett
legs/pelvis: Galactic Marine
sculpted shoulder pads, upper sleeves, chest/back vest, goggles, knee pads.

As always, feel free to critique!  :)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Incom's customs: Ohk Moffu - Aqualish mercenary
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2008, 05:33 PM »
I saw this guy today over at YakInifinities. Aqualish mercenary is a great concept. I like the detailing of the hair around the head. That A-Wing is coming along great! Very cool wing symbol on it. How are the electronics coming along for the a-wing?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours