Author Topic: Soft Goods?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Soft Goods?
« on: May 21, 2003, 03:24 AM »
Yeah yeah yeah, age old debate I know...

This one comes about though, because it relates to my recent review of Mace Windu: Arena Confrontation.

His cloak's softgoods except for the arms, but for those of you who own this figure, I think you'll agree with me that the SG's are REALLY nice.  They're a silky material that hangs really well on the figure, even forming folds that look realistic in the smaller scale.

Would full cloaks in this fabric be of interest?  What if Han Solo got an Endor coat in this fabric?  Or the Skywalker's got their ponchos with something like this?

I was really impressed that Hasbro used a great material for this though, and was pondering what other SG items using this exact material style would be like.  

If I had paid attention in Home-Ec, I maybe would try my hand at making a Han coat after finding some of this fabric at the local Jo-Ann store I think.

I wish Hasbro would take this ball and run with it...  It definately beats the thick and stiff junk they've given us in the accessory packs and things.  I mean, that Han coat in the Endor Victory set was a JOKE.  Looks like Home One's laundry department used a bit too much starch...  That or Chewie did.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Soft Goods?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 09:11 AM »
I actually prefer the cloak material that Obi-Wan Jedi Pilot or the Poncho Farmer Qui-Gon came with.  This is what all Jedi robes should be made out of IMO.  Why they can't use the same stuff similar to what they used in the vintage line where a skirt on a figure like Klaatu or the poncho on Leia Endor or Jedi Luke's robe were all far better than a lot of the crap Hasbro has tried

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 04:28 PM »
I'm an adamant supporter of soft goods. *shakes fist in the air for dramatic effect*

There's no reason why figures in cloaks should always have to be stuck in a standing pose. I'm sure that doesn't help kids get into star wars. I would have been pretty ticked off as a kid if Jedi Luke couldn't fit into the TIE interceptor with his cloak on. Though I'm not sure why he would anyways.

I just think that sculpted plastic robes (or ponchos, or half-cape Boba Fett thingees, or Endor overcoats) take away alot of the versatility of action figures. Sure, I don't need Orn Free Taa to pilot the X-wing, but the main characters should be able to fit into any vehicle. And soft goods allow this.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 04:29 PM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 07:55 PM »
This is an age old topic, but it's nice to see someone ressurect these oldies but goodies once in a while.

It really depends in my opinion.  If they can do a great job like they did on the CT Vader and MOTD Vader, I'm all for it.  But I think when done as a combo like on the Total Control Windu, it just contrasts too much and looks silly.   Another one I do like is the ponch with the POTJ Qui Gon.  

I think that once in a while it is a good idea, when used as a cape (not a robe though) and a poncho.  Overall though, I do prefer plastic.

:P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 07:55 PM »
Well, I'm usually an opponent of Soft Goods, but that's generally because I absolutely DESPISE the fabric/material that Hasbro has used whenever it has tried the SG approach in the modern line.  Just way too stiff, and it looks plain silly (with a few exceptions).

BUT, that doesn't mean that I'm against Soft Goods in general.  In fact, it's just the opposite IF A GOOD MATERIAL COULD BE FOUND.  I'm talking something that "lies down", something that naturally shows folds, something that blends seemlessly with the rest of the plastic figure, something that isn't so stiff that it sticks out in every direction.  If Hasbro could use some type of very thin, silky material that would lie down and rest against the figure's actual head and body without looking completely obtrusive, then I think Soft Goods would be an excellent idea.

I'd love an Emperor, all the Jedi, Vader, and many others with a nice, natural, flowing, conforming, Soft Good outfit/cape/robe, etc...  Haven't opened the Total Control Mace yet, so perhaps Hasbro has finally hit the nail on the head here with this SG cloak.  But if not, and until a good material is found, I'd prefer Hasbro just stick with the plastic myself...