Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design  (Read 42328 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2006, 12:40 PM »
Glassman's pictures are the ones that I think will sell this to LFL. I'm including them in my submission. Do you think we can actually make this? The sail looking tower is what really makes the diorama.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2006, 01:17 PM »
I think it is possible... I personally think that buildings of the sort will be easier than a broad landscape.  We had discussed using some stone tiles a while back for the "streets/pavement" of the city area.  If we stick with that, I think adding buildings might not be too difficult.

I wish we all were masters with styrene, that would really be the way to go with the buildings.

;)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2006, 02:08 PM »
I only included the tower casue the design was a little more detailed than the one built by Joe Rhyno ( not taking anything from his casue it is great)
There is room for more than one tower. MAybe his over looks the mining operations? His seems more industrial. Mine more urban.
If the tower pictured is approved by you guys i can build it/show you how to build/ help build it.
That wont be too hard.
If you want, i can get started on it.. if the leader of construction team/ the rest of you guys would intrust it to me to do so.

The tower wont be an issue at all.

What we need to do is to do some math. We have a 9' x 9' area. How many square feet is that at 1/18th scale. 
If we start thinking in these terms it will make it easier to build everything and we will get a sense of exactly how big the dio is in relation the 3 3/4 figures. Then we will get a better sense of how big each piece/building/landing platform etc needs to be.

Thanks for the comments too. Sorry it was soo last minute, but you know me and deadlines. ;)
PenDragon- i used a 3D modeling program called form-Z to get the hardlines and then sketched over them.
Colored them in Photoshop.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 02:21 PM by Glassman6 »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2006, 03:12 PM »
I think we also need to agree on placement of each building in the city and how big of an area each one gets. Lets decide what each neighborhood will have in it and what building stands next to each other. We can then figure out how much room each building will eat up on the board.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2006, 03:25 PM »
I'd love to see you do up that tower Glass'! And I was thinking that JoeRhyno's would look really good on either side of a city wall gateway...

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2006, 10:58 AM »
I think we also need to agree on placement of each building in the city and how big of an area each one gets.

I had wanted to include a detailed masterplan of the city, with streets and such, but i couldnt get to it in time. That will be my next task.  If we can decide on the things phruby just mentioned, it will make it alot easier.
If we used the grid layout as a start, we can number each square/rectangle.  then assign each number.  Example:  square 12, cantina/junk yard/back ally skirmish.  Remember most squares represent 2' x2'

Suggestions?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2006, 10:56 PM »
Some food for thought on building placement, and I'm speaking from experience in these small booths but also from a gaming aspect as well so bear with me on this...

You don't want to place large buildings in a way that they will obstruct the view of the details of the layout...  For instance, if you placed one large building in your scene in the center of town, you obscure the rear portion behind that building from various angles the people have to look at your scene... 

If you placed one large tower at the opposite corners of 2 corners of the entire space you're using, you'd have less obscured by the buildings...  2 at the rear corners would also not obscure the lower-areas of the scene and act as more of a background.  The placement of the buildings can really impact how it looks to the average viewer.  Think of it like a train layout for instance...  They're usually teired backwards so you can see everything while maintaining realism.  That's a tall order (no pun) I think, but I think the flatness is fine so long as you don't obscure it with too large (or too many) buildings.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2006, 01:25 AM »
If we could make it spin, that would be even cooler. ;) JK that would take way to much work.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2006, 10:45 AM »
Oh, you're funny...  :P

;)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2006, 02:45 PM »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2006, 04:21 PM »
You don't want to place large buildings in a way that they will obstruct the view of the details of the layout...  For instance, if you placed one large building in your scene in the center of town, you obscure the rear portion behind that building from various angles the people have to look at your scene... 

Excellent suggestion. We need to assume we will have a back wall for the booth. Taller stuff should go in the back. Maybe we can even print out a forced prespective backdrop so the tower still looks like its in the middle even if its in the back of the model.

I was thinking that there could also be a set of bars going over the top of the dio in order to hang small micromachine ships from it for scale. It would be cool to have some air traffic in the proper scale.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 8, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Glassman, that is some seriously great stuff. 

To the team in general - Given the new size constraints... are we still expecting outskirt civilizations in addition to the city core.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 9, 2007, 11:39 AM »
I always thought my cliffs would go a long the perimeter  (hence high and unubstructed by anythin in the center.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2007, 09:41 AM »
I always thought my cliffs would go a long the perimeter  (hence high and unubstructed by anythin in the center.

I think that is the way Greg has it on his concept pictures.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2007, 10:20 AM »
That was my original thought too, but as we started to scale the size of this down, the mountianous areas were
removed. I stll say some sort of mountain representation at the edge of the project would be great.
Also if we are painting a backdrop, then the mountains could continue in the painting..

Since we are on the subject.

I did a trial masterplan for the city.
I did an adhoc design as if the city developed and was added to insted of designed and built.

This is an overlay of the size constraints and the concept so we can get a better idea of how much space is
taken by each part.

Here is a diagram of the steets and open spaces.

If you have suggestions on tweaks or changes or redo start typing.

If this is ok with the group, someone should now take this ( construction leaders)
and divide it into workable segments and think how this is gonna be fit together.