Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 193378 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2004, 12:58 PM »
How about now!  :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2004, 01:12 PM »
Most sweet.  Thankee sai! ;D

Dig that custom Selanne in blue gear.  Even changed the number.

For those of you that know Brew from either snowtroopers.ca or mcfarlane.com boards this is from him.   It is a custom done by a guy with the username Porthos.  

I sent Brew a red Patrick Roy last year.  He was having a terrible time finding one and he had/has almost every variant that McFarlane had produced to that point, save the Hawks Amonte.  I ruminated on that one for a while and had to decide what to do with my spare.  I eventually relented to the light side (dammit) and sent him this one.  The condition was that he find me a Jets Selanne.  If he couldn't do that, then he had to pay me C&S.  Needless to say I found several Jets Selanne's so he was sort of stuck.  I would have been fine with C&S but he did this instead.  Let's just say toy karma paid off and I am as happy as can be. ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2004, 09:39 AM »
Most sweet.  Thankee sai! ;D

Your welcome Brent.  :-*

I must say that it is a very nice custom.  8)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2004, 11:13 PM »
Hey guys.   I decided to poke my head in here. I am finally finding out how good the McFarlane stuff is.  I don't have much but the Slap Shot Hanson brothers got me looking at the other stuff plus the fact that KB is blowing them out at 40% off. I think this may be a costly venture ;D
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2004, 11:45 PM »
Yes and no Wayne.  

Cheaper now than it was a year ago, in most respects.  Also depends on what you're going to collect.  

Football is big bucks, notably four the variants from series 1, 2, 4, 5.  Six and seven are relatively cheap.  

Hockey is almost universally affordable now except for a few select pieces.  The original series one repaints and the goalies from series one and two can be pricy.  From series 3 on there is relatively little that is expensive.  White Kovalchuk and Liberty Messier are a little more than average.  Red Patrick Roy and white Messier from NHL5 are not cheap.  Then there's the accursed 3rd jersey Patrick Roy from NHL6 that is absurd in price.  

Baseball is cheap, save for a few retro pieces like Red Sox Clemens.  

Basketball too is cheap, except for chase pieces of Carmelo Anthony (though I expect that will come down in price) and the Lebron James variant.  

Let me know how I can be of service.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2004, 12:14 PM »
Thanks Brent,
 So far I think that if I do pursue some of the items I will just get the ones that are of intrest for now. I don't think at this point I will try to complete any runs. Unfortunatly the Clemens ones are of intrest since hes my favorite hurler. I do need to educate myself on the variants incase I ever run across any I can atleast use them for trade bait.  I never really new just how good the sculpts were before.

As far as helping me out with anything, how about just answering a few questions from time to time. I think I will be having a few of those ;)
And if any of you guys run across the McKenzie Brothers keep me in mind. Loose complete or carded I don't care. I saw those and gotta have them for my office at work. Beauty Eh. ;D  I know they aren't sportspics but close enough for me.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2004, 11:06 AM »
Brent's definitely right about baseball.  The retro pieces have been the only ones that have really held their value.  Most notably Red Sox Clemens.  I had to shell out a pretty penny to get him.  And sure enough, they're doing Astros Clemens now, too.  Maybe we'll get a pinstripe Clemens eventually!

Football is the king of Sports Picks by far.  The football pieces, especially the Super Bowl exclusives and the Series 1 & 2 no helmet pieces fetch the most money.

But by far some of the most expensive hockey pieces?  Try Bruins Ray Bourque, and Mighty Ducks Paul Kariya.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2004, 10:06 AM »
Can someone tell me when the following are coming out:

KG #2
Culpepper #2
Moss #2

Thanks ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2004, 11:13 AM »
Don't know about KG, but the Moss and Pepper are from NFL 9 and 10 respectively (though I might have the release backwards).  So September and November-ish for the footballers.  KG will likely be in the next b-ball series so November or so???

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 5, 2004, 10:45 AM »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #190 on: April 5, 2004, 11:25 AM »
You know I was thinking of this the other day...how long it would be until they came out with a Michael Jordan figure.  I don't think it will be too long now.  I like these CLassic figure ideas, gives me hope that there might be a Kirby Puckett (pre-glaucoma, scumbag  fatass era)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 5, 2004, 11:58 AM »
There was a time when Puckett didn't have a fat ass :o  Who knew?  

Nice to see the Legends annoucement.  Over at snowtroopers Brew and I have been discussing this for a while.   Looks like all my predictions will be coming true, with respect to Gretzky.  A Gretzky or two per series to balance out the rest.  And while I agree that Gretzky is one of the best, if not the best of all time (Orr and Howe being the other two that come to mind), I certainly don't want to see series' overloaded with Wayner.  

About Jordan.  Unlike Gretzky, he has apparently asked for such an outrageous sum of money that McFarlane isn't currently pursuing the figure.  I suspect it is a matter of time, but we shall see how long that takes.  

Back to hockey: I've long predicted the Legends for hockey to coincide with the lockout.  This is just confirmation that McFarlane isn't as nutty as the spawn.com board thinks.  

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 5, 2004, 05:35 PM »
I've known about the Gretzky figure for some time.  And I've got to say I'm pleasantly surprised to see that they're going to make him in the uniforms of all 4 of the NHL team's he's played for.  This is definitely good news for the hockey line.

As for the speculation about a Hockey Legends line, I think the speculation might be right on the money.  Launching a Legends line during the lockout seems like the most logical thing McFarlane can do from a business standpoint.  While the NHLPA is out on the picket lines, McFarlane can still churn out a hockey line composed entirely of NHL Legends and skirt the collective bargaining agreement.  And the consensus seems to be among many in the hockey community that there won't be a 2004-2005 NHL season.

Feedback

Offline buffet1fan

• Youngling
  • son of a !!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 5, 2004, 06:58 PM »
I really enjoy the sportspicks line exspecial the hockey line up and will probable buy the legend line up. I would love even more to see a NFL legend line up. To finally get a Dan Marino figure that looked like him would be great. Since i don't follow this line to close has anyone hear if a NFL line would be in the future?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 5, 2004, 08:14 PM »
It's certainly likely that McFarlane would pursue a Legends line for the NFL portion of the Sports Picks line.  The NFL line is by far the most successful of the SP lines.  I think a Legends series would be equally successful.  I would expect them to launch something like that at an event like the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Right now, the only things that we've seen in terms of committments to retired players from McFarlane is the following:

-The Cooperstown Series for MLB
-Wayne Gretzky for the NHL line
-A poll at the Spawn forums for NBA legends players

I can't recall seeing anything to this effect for the NFL, but I think it's a given that McFarlane would try to follow up the success of the NFL line with a Legends line.

Feedback