Author Topic: 30AC Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin  (Read 84502 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: 30AC Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin
« Reply #345 on: May 5, 2007, 08:07 PM »
Biggs I have bought, Im actually content, the arms suck, but when will he really need to do anything 'action'y with them from the movie. He can hold and point a blaster in a few directions and has bendable kness, so I'm cool.

Im getting Luke from a friend of the family in a couple of weeks for graduation, he should be very cool, the head is a concern but the body should totally make up for that. I'll give him this: he's in a whole different league compared to the other two basic Lukes and the VOTC one, so there.

McFett, I refuse to open, he is just so cool in the package!

As for the others, Ill comment on them when I find them, which I cant wait to find, especially that Han.

8)

Woh! I just figured out that this is my 1000th post! Cool!!!  :o
« Last Edit: May 6, 2007, 01:02 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 7, 2007, 08:54 AM »
Quote from: OCB on May  5, 2007, 09:18 AM
Man does Luke's head sculpt suck ass.  It looks absolutely NOTHING like Mark Hammill and the paint is awful.  I know we've talked about it ad naseum but they cannot nail that head to save their life.  Harrison Ford they have down to a tee and Mark they puke out **** figure after figure.

I have to agree, I was really disappointed with Luke's head sculpt/paint when I got a hold of one.  Its too bad too, because the body is well articulated, and looks pretty great.  Hasbro just hasn't ever been able to nail the Mark Hamill likeness very well.  I guess the more recent ROTJ versions are probably the closest, but still not quite right.  And wow is he ever pale, you think Luke would have got somewhat of a tan working under those Tatooine suns all day.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 7, 2007, 09:16 AM »
the body is well articulated, and looks pretty great.

I want to know how long before we see Walrusman on this body. It looks like it'll work great for him with a new head, hands and almost no retooling!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #348 on: May 7, 2007, 07:08 PM »
The height would be an issue, so would the shirt underneath, so I'm hoping that's not the case in the future.  Those little inaccuracies would annoy me.  He wasn't huge by any means but he was noticeably taller than Luke when he shoved him around.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 7, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Man does Luke's head sculpt suck ass.  It looks absolutely NOTHING like Mark Hammill  

I just can't agree there, OCB.  I think the sculpt is MUCH more accurate than the VOTC ANH Luke, or any other ANH Luke I can think of (I know you didn't compare them, I'm just saying).  The paint application is pretty bad though, and he's way too pale.  But as far as sculpt, I think it's the best ANH Hamill yet.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 8, 2007, 07:42 PM »
McFett, I refuse to open, he is just so cool in the package!

Nah, he's even better out of the package.  ;)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 8, 2007, 07:45 PM »
Man does Luke's head sculpt suck ass.  It looks absolutely NOTHING like Mark Hammill  

I just can't agree there, OCB.  I think the sculpt is MUCH more accurate than the VOTC ANH Luke, or any other ANH Luke I can think of (I know you didn't compare them, I'm just saying).  The paint application is pretty bad though, and he's way too pale.  But as far as sculpt, I think it's the best ANH Hamill yet.

I have to agree with Daigo-Bah.  The head sculpt on Luke isn't terrible.  But the paint apps make it look bad.  I'd really like to see what the customizers can do with this figure just with a new coat of paint on the head.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 9, 2007, 09:34 AM »
NFC is shipping their Wave 2 orders.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #353 on: May 10, 2007, 03:49 AM »
I just got my first taste of Wave 2 figures here tonight...  Someone pilferred all Luke, Han, and McFigures that were there, and left 1 of a couple figures and 2 of the Rebel.

I got:

-Biggs...  Biggs' name = Biggsest **** of the wave.  The Dutch Vander body is hardly "definitive" of any Rebel Pilot figure.  It's oversized, underarticulated, and while it's cool to say "Dutch" was just a tall guy, it looks like poodoo with just other heads slapped on it.  I pray Hasbro gives us a super articulated pilot body that's better in the near future.

Add to this that the helmet's paintjob is utter shite and it doesn't fit perfectly (not horribly, just not perfectly either), and I just am overall underwhelmed by Biggs.  He's basically winding up as nothing more than "fine, that'll do I guess" in my mind.  Easily the worst figure of the entire wave and I don't have 3 of them yet in-hand, but know my opinion isn't going anywhere on that one.  ;D

-Death Star Trooper (Imp. Naval Trooper/Marine)...  The DST is a mixed bag like people have said.  I love the articulation, and sculpt be damned, this is how a toy is to be as far as poseability goes so I sacrifice one for the other.  That said, there's no reason the articulation SHOULD be this visible.  You SHOULD get the best of both worlds...  Why?  Because you do get it with the Rebel figure, so obviously they can do it and chose not to.  For shame on the guy who sculpted this figure is all.

Don't fault the articulation, fault the sculpt.  People are saying it's the joints that look bad...  They're wrong.  It's the sculpt not hiding the joints that looks bad.  Point the finger in the right direction is my point, and don't just decry articulation as a blight on toys. 

I love the removable helmet and it seems to sit fine...  Little low but they sit low on people's heads in the movie so I see no gripe there.  It's also a "fixable" issue if you wanted to from what I've read.

I'm pissed at the height...  Fixable though, I think.  I'm waiting till I get some more, but I'm going to likely chop a few guys at the calves and then drill a hole with a concave piece up into the shin.  This'll allow the ball/socket ankle to sit in the shin better while also lessening the height issue so he's maybe normal looking.  It'd be nice if he at least was as tall as the giant known as Dutch/Biggs is. :)  He actually is taller...  You cannot deny that's odd looking guys.

Too bad you didn't get a black kepi hat too like the 12" figure.  Anyone else disappointed with that?

-Rebel Honor Guard...  This I managed 2 figures of, and I love them.  My gripes are fewer, but still kind of important when you look at the figure, and show a lack of effort on Hasbro's part.

First, the helmet's based on, I think, the POTJ Fleet Trooper's helmet with some changes.  The nicks/dents seem familiar to me anyway, no?  I preferred the less damaged look of Antilles' helmet. 

The holster and removable helmet are great though and I dig the headsculpt.  It's kind of cool unto itself.  Also the pike is a nice RIGID PLASTIC!  They can't do a battledroid right?  bull****.

Articulation out the whazzoo, a great sculpt that hides every joint, and lots of costume detail.  I was disappointed though to see things not painted, such as the costume buttons.  If you look at the outfits in the movie, the buttons are a dark brown or black clearly, and if painted they'd help break up the dull grey color of the duds.  It seemed like just a sorta lazy effort on paint with this one.

Also hating the leg stance...  Fixable, as I've mentioned with the Boil & Freeze technique, however Hasbro trying to "make a figure more dynamic" (as they said they did with Jerjerrod in their Q&A) is really... err, dumb.  A wide stance hasn't helped sell Jerjerrod figures, and when you articulate a figure like the guard here, do you really need to give it a ****** stance and negate some of that articulation?  Of course not!  Let kids/adults pose the toy in dynamic ways instead!

And, both figures (DSG and RHG) needed slits up their "skirt" extension of their tunics for said poseability.  Maybe a bigger nuisance than anything mentioned so far actually.

Either way, I actually love the latter two figures...  Biggs is just better than his original figure, and is a great, accurate headsculpt by the way.  I should note that.  I just hate that figure as a base.  To be honest I wish they'd used the original Biggs body  with maybe modded legs, or wait till they have something better to work with.  This is a little disappointing to me. :(

The two troopers rock though and I'm geeked to get more and "fix" some of them.  I think I can clean these up substantially and I'm already set to get many MANY of both of them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 10, 2007, 09:08 AM »
JJ- thought I'd show my boil-and-freeze attempt on the RHG and DST, as well as my DST vintage-style custom.  I've used the BAF technique quite a bit lately (thanks for the idea!) but I've found that limbs rebound after a while by perhaps 50%.  Does that happen to you guys too?  I had the RHG's kness touching when I froze him, but he's back to what you see in the pic (which is fine).

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 10, 2007, 04:42 PM »
Wave 2 is fully in stock at hasbrotoyshop.com, including Boba and the army builders.

Go to town.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #356 on: May 10, 2007, 04:54 PM »
Thanks DR, I think I might've gotten my first McBoba and one for my gf's kid too, plus a couple DST's.  I hope my order goes through.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 10, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Third time I've missed out!

I had one in my cart, looked for something else, came back and it was gone.

I hate this ****** figure.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:31 PM by ruiner »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 10, 2007, 05:33 PM »
McFett is sold out, everything else is there.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #359 on: May 10, 2007, 06:26 PM »
Figures I go away for one stinking final and it's gone. I even checked last night too... Just my luck lately I guess.
"This is the way."