Author Topic: Your Interest in the Star Wars Lines  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Your Interest in the Star Wars Lines
« on: July 27, 2006, 03:56 PM »
It seems like there are more different Star Wars collectibles and lines than there ever has been, and I was interested in seeing what many of you are interested in the most.  Do you (can you) collect everything you want?  Are some things out of range, or maybe you just don't have the space?  It seems like many of us around here lately have been shifting focus, or maybe at least considering it, and I was curious to see where everyone's interests lie at this point.  I'll list a few of the ones often discussed on the forums here, but feel free to add any that I'm (probably) forgetting.  There's so many these days, its hard to keep track of everything.  What are you interested in, or collecting, at this point?

Star Wars Basic Figures - Vintage and/or Modern, including Vehicles, Beasts, Deluxe, etc.

LEGO

Kubricks

Titanium - 3" scale, 6" scale, figures, etc.

Posters

Gentle Giant - Mini busts, bust ups, statues, animated statues, etc.

Unleashed (7") - maybe continuing, maybe not?

Unleashed Battle Packs (2")

Galactic Heroes

Master Replicas - FX, prop replicas, mini sabers, etc.

Sideshow - 12" figures, Premium format, etc.

Kotobukiya

Code 3

WOTC Miniatures

Hallmark Ornaments

"Other" - glasses, memorabilia, character keys, Transformers, Attakus dioramas, food premiums, bobbleheads, potato heads, the list goes on....

Again, there are TONS of lines out there these days, so this is just a sampling of some of the current lines.  Do you just collect parts of certain lines (maybe just relating to a certain character(s), or just bust ups, just Sideshow 12", just replicas, just OT, etc.), do you try to stick with just a few lines and go all out with them?  Are there too many lines out there nowadays (probably), and which are your favorites?

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Your Interest in the Star Wars Lines
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 04:37 PM »
Kubricks and RAH for me.
Also, the Tomy dioramas (hope they make more!) and some of the mini helmets.
Bust Ups, the ones I like.
WOTC minis, I get the ones I like for the most part. If I can complete the set through trading/selling/buying, I will do it. This last set, I hardly have any, because the EU focus of the set is not my thing. I did get Yoda and traded for a Qui-Gon, would like to get Maul, Mace, Vader and Luke at some point.
Adam

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 04:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm digging the Japanese lines for this stuff as well, just really neat stuff and in many cases not really that expensive.  But I'm still pretty diversified and my only real plans are to cut back on the modern Hasbro line.  This doesn't mean stopping, just being far more selective and really stopping army building for the most part.  Ships will go as well and I've not been into the modern beasts much anyway.  So...

Star Wars Basic Figures - as above, contemplating filling holes in vintage non-figure areas.

LEGO - I have some, but don't buy all.  Mostly just classic vehicles.

Kubricks -  8)

Posters - I'd like to pick up some vintage posters, maybe round out the Code3 stuff too.

Gentle Giant - My current favorite - bustups, busts, statues, I just dig their stuff.

Master Replicas - Only item planned to pick up is the Maul F/X.  I love their stuff, but with bigger dollars going to Sideshow and GG, these guys lose out.

Sideshow - vinyl figures and some premium format figs.  Awfully pricey so lots of hard consideration goes into buying from these guys.

Code 3 - posters mentioned above.

Hallmark Ornaments - mostly OT stuff and usually only one or so a year.

Tomy mini-dioramas I love, like the helmets but haven't bought any yet.  Magnets, but not digging on the chase magnets so sort of souring the rest of the line.

Tons of other things I'd like to collect, but just a limit on $$ and space - Attakus :o  Even little stuff gets left out, like the WOTC minis, I think they're super cool, but for the most part if I want them down the road they tend to be easier and cheaper in the long run from Ebay. 

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 05:25 PM »
I started collecting Star Wars basic figures back when POTF2 came out and stopped around Episode 1. Late last year, I starting collecting Star Wars figures again... this time only Kubricks. I don't have the wallet for any other Star Wars type collectible.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 05:48 PM »
Kubrick is my # 1 now, but that is mainly because Hasbro has released just about everything I want now, if not more. I will still pick up some new grunts and great sculpts  (C-3PO with knees), but one of everything stopped about 5 years ago for me.
I will get every Galactic Hero, unless they start putting 1 or 2 new ones with 6 I already have.
A few OT gentle giant busts will get picked up- I don't know that I will even get the bounty hunters unless they make plans to release another Fett-
I like to have an example of just about every line, so a bust up here and there, a few lego items (that Jabbas barge is looking tempting), doing it up like that.

My problem is will-power. Momaw Nadon got bought, even though I have 3 already- he just seemed worth it. But with just over a thousand loose modern figures, it has to stop sometime.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 06:49 PM »
Gentle Giant- Definately an addict now, before it was just the bust-ups now its the busts.

Basic Figures- no repacked figures, i.e. Greatest Battles though.

Posters- I have too many.  ;D
I remember my dream now.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Sideshow - 12" figure line only

Gentle Giant - Clone Wars maquette's and some of the busts

Master Replica - lightsaber's only (and that is slowly coming to an end)

Hallmark - I always end up with all the ornaments for the year

Beth

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 09:14 PM »
Basic figures
Unleashed 7"
Kubrik
WOTC miniatures
some lego

;D

EDIT: oops ::), :-[ almost forgot my high interest in Titanium 3" vehicles and figs
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 09:15 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 01:03 PM »
Answering my own question...:P

Star Wars Basic Figures - Pick and choose from the modern figures, picking up most of the new stuff (all new OT figures), vehicles is a case by case basis, and we don't see any beasts.  I need to fill in some holes as well that I missed from POTF2 (a few figures, Rebo Band, beasts, vehicles).  I still have aspirations of continuing with my vintage figure collection, but its been put on the backburner all year.

LEGO - I do like some of this stuff, but just don't have the money/space.  I kind of liked the MINI line, which seems to be done now.  I do think this would be fun to collect though.

Kubricks - I think these are great, just like nearly everyone else - but I got on the boat way too late.  Not too mention I probably can't afford it, but at this point I'm so many figures behind it would always bug me who I was missing.  Really wish I had gotten in on the ground floor with these though, I might continue to pick one up here and there though.

Posters - I have some, would like to get more.  Wall space is an issue.

Gentle Giant - I was getting a few bust ups, but gave it up.  They are nice though, just have to start cutting some things.  I got my first Mini Bust (Han on the cheap from Amazon), and after that I want more.  I have Chewie preordered, and might try to get more of these here and there.  The Animated statues are awesome, but out of range, the Mrs. said "no" on those too ;).

Unleashed (7") - If they continue with new figures, I'm in - particularly on OT characters.  Kind of my "statue" line, since its one I can afford.

Unleashed Battle Packs (2") - I thought about the Hoth ones, but haven't seen them yet.  Again, I don't need more lines, so I'll likely stay away.

Galactic Heroes - I like these a lot, and hope to hand them down if we ever have a kid.  I'll continue to pick up new OT sets, maybe select PT sets.

Master Replicas - Always say it, but my goal is to someday get a Luke FX saber - either style.  I really wish I could afford the high end stuff, like Han's blaster, but there's no way.  If they ever do an "FX" version that's cheaper, I'll figure out a way to make it happen.

Sideshow - I have the 12" Han Bespin preordered, and was highly tempted on the Jabba.  Still on the fence with these.  I would really like to collect them, but know deep down I probably can't afford it without giving up nearly everything (or everything) else I collect.  I just don't want this to be another "Kubricks" situation for me where I try to get in on things later and regret skipping earlier releases.  If I did go with these, it would be OT only, and I've missed out on the Jabba (its amazing, can't afford).  I may preorder the Boussh Leia just in case, and we'll see.

Hallmark Ornaments - OT ornaments.  Working on doing some catch up with the numbered ones from each year, and the "magic/light up" vehicles.  I skip the smaller ones though, and prequel, so basically just a couple a year.

"Other" - I've still got to pick up the Star Wars glass set from BK, but have the other two (and the Target glasses).  There's always miscellaneous stuff here and there (the BK toys last year), but overall it should be limited to the stuff listed above.

Overall, I'm getting to the point where its just the Hasbro basic stuff, Galactic Heroes, Unleashed 7" (if they make it), and the some Marvel/DC stuff.  The more expensive stuff that interests me the most is the Mini Busts, 12" Sideshow, and Master Replicas.  I'd like to collect one of those in at least a limited capacity, but we'll see if we can afford for me to do that or not.  Not sure which way to go either.  I'm leaning towards Sideshow, but (although I think they are worth it) $50+ each adds up pretty fast.  I'm just getting to the point where I really look how much I spend on this stuff, and it seems silly in some aspects.  Not that I don't enjoy it, but it does really add up throughout the year.  I should have never started keeping track ;).

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 01:12 PM »
My interest in the lines has faded....but for the most part, the stuff that I collect is fairly complete, and I'm also concentrating on paying for a wedding, and moving to a new place.  That being said, there are a few things on my Want List:

If MR makes a TPM or AOTC version of Obi-Wan's saber in FX form...I'm all over it.

I love the Disney stuff, mainly the small plush figures like Jedi Mickey, Darth Mickey and Darth Goofy.  I'd love to have one of those Jedi Mickey Statues...but I think that's going to remain on the wish list for a long time.

I really like the quality product that Sideshow is putting out with the 12" figures.  I have the Obi-Wan and Darth Maul on order, and doubt I'll get more beyond that...but who knows.

I will probably always keep my eye out for oddball stuff like Film trailers and the like....I love stuff like that since a lot of people don't have them in their collections.

Although I don't really consider them part of my collection....I'll definitely keep playing the video games!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 01:13 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline kirk_dougall

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.generationxmodels.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 02:31 PM »
I don't really collect many different lines.
Gentle Giant Mini Busts and Animated Statues
Sideshow Premium Format Figures

I considered getting some of the MR hilts but decided agaisnt it and bought some custom ones for a fraction fo the price.
http://www.generationxmodels.co.uk
U.K Stockist of Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Master Replicas and Kotobukiya.

Offline Amanaman

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 12:03 AM »
My SW interests have shifted to the higher end, and neat uncluttered displays. Less is more.

My holy trinity:
Sideshow- 12" figures This is the definitive Star Wars line for the ages.

Master Replicas When it comes to SW, I'm a stickler for accuracy. MR delivers probably the closest thing to perfection, since most of their products are machined to the exact specs, sometimes looking better than the actual movie props themselves.

Kubricks and super deformed VCD Perhaps my new love. Medicom's aesthetics married to SW makes awesome toys.

Things I don't actively seek, unless on sale:

Gentle Giant Resin isn't my thing. However, these boys do a damn good job.

Star Wars Basic Figures - Modern I'm done with Hasbro, except for the occasional never-before-done figure. Still waiting for a complete KOTOR cast.

Kotobukiya With virtually unlimited production runs, it's best to wait for those deals.

Unleashed (7") Only have Yoda/Sid. I'll pick and choose those with appealing poses.

Things I avoid:
LEGO Not my cup of tea. Expensive, and I disagree with the idea of licensed LEGO sets. LEGO has created many special blocks just for SW. Licenses limit the freedom to imagine.

Titanium - 3" scale, 6" scale, figures, etc. Very cool, but I have my sights set to the higher-end.

Posters Never look for them. I let them find their way to me.

Unleashed Battle Packs (2") Too small to appreciate.

Galactic Heroes Good concept, but not for me.

Code 3 MR will make them useless.

WOTC Miniatures Way too small to appreciate.

Hallmark Ornaments Inferior sculpts and I'd rather adorn my tree with something other than SW.

"Other" Kitsch won't survive in my collection.

Star Wars Basic Figures - Vintage Not worth pursuing. Price puts them way out of my market. Most sculpts are bad, and I have little nostalgic attachment to them.