Author Topic: "Other" Kubricks and Minimates (Non SW)  (Read 218257 times)

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
Re: Kubricks and Minimates
« Reply #855 on: February 23, 2007, 11:23 AM »
Any updates on the medicom site? Any marvel kubricks? The page won't load at work for me.

Nope, no new Marvel. Actually no new Kubs at all just some exclusive Bearbricks...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #856 on: February 23, 2007, 11:37 AM »
No Marvel Kubricks, but there is news of a VCD Ghost Rider:

He will be an exclusive at the Winter Wonderfest 2007 along with the 400% Fett:

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 23, 2007, 11:40 AM »
The Phantom of the Paradise mask is pretty awesome too :o  I loved that movie in all its schlocky glory.  Great soundtrack too :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #858 on: February 23, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Well i guess it's safe to say Marvel Kubricks are done.  :-[ ere's hoping for more star wars.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 23, 2007, 12:28 PM »
No Marvel Kubricks, but there is news of a VCD Ghost Rider:

He will be an exclusive at the Winter Wonderfest 2007 along with the 400% Fett:

It's also available in the US through Sideshow Toys:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=4345&source=wp_news
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:28 PM by Madcow »

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 24, 2007, 04:32 PM »
Picked up Kubrick set E from Nightmare Before Christmas- This one might be my favorite. The mad scientist with the wheelchair and flip up noggin (complete with removeable brain) is pretty cool. Sally is a very bright Kub compared to everything else, and Jack in his PJ's with cap is pretty great.  :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #861 on: February 27, 2007, 11:05 AM »
Something I've found to be quite odd over the last few years is how many lines Mini-mates are doing now that Medicom alreayd made in to Kubrick form (see Back to the Future, some DC and Kellogg's Cereal)

I was starting to get worried about the lack of a SW Kubrick Series 8 announcement that Art Asylum had somehow got the Star Wars block figure license and would start making them...somehow Lego is also in the mix there somehow which I think is why Kubricks can't be released in North America...

Anyway, I like Minimates and all but I like Kubricks better and its sad to see another company doing a "me too" sort of thing.  However, I also enjoy the breadth at which MM have gone as far as character selection and scale in that there is a whole crapload of stuff out there in a few years...something Medicom hasn't done or do very well.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 27, 2007, 11:19 AM »
MM are making Kelloggs? That's odd considering the Kub ones were distributed here in the US. I myself am not really a fan of the MM though I do own a few. They're a little too flimsy to me but the extra articulation is nice.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #863 on: February 27, 2007, 11:31 AM »
MM are making Kelloggs?

http://minimateheadquarters.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1672

Yeah, I agree with Scott, the mini-mates come off as "me too". 

Both the DCD "Pocket Heroes" line and the DC Comics Mini-Mates line just pale in comparison to my Batman (and lone Superman) Kubricks.  I wish Medicom could have held onto that DC licenses, I'd have loved to get more Bat-bricks!   :-\

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #864 on: February 27, 2007, 11:58 AM »
I love them both becuase they are very different figures. They both have something special to them. I buy the marvel minimates and pick and choose the DC ones. I will probably pick up the Rocky box set and the back to the future ones as well. I buy marvel kubricks and have superman. I have all the back to the future kubricks. I don't mind buying the same figures becuase of the differences between them.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 27, 2007, 12:17 PM »
MM are making Kelloggs?

http://minimateheadquarters.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1672

Yeah, I agree with Scott, the mini-mates come off as "me too". 

Both the DCD "Pocket Heroes" line and the DC Comics Mini-Mates line just pale in comparison to my Batman (and lone Superman) Kubricks.  I wish Medicom could have held onto that DC licenses, I'd have loved to get more Bat-bricks!   :-\

YIKES! Those are horrible! While I would like the Keebler Elf, Tony the Tiger looks like he has Down Syndrome.

I agree with you about the lack of DC Kubs. Though Batman did have a pretty nice run with the Animated and Movie lines, both being some of the favorites in my collection. I just always thought it was weird that they only made The Joker in the movie line. He's usually THE villian in anything Batman...

What I have always wanted was a Blade Kubrick or a series based off the movies but for now i'm left suffering with my lone mini-mate...  :(
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 12:17 PM by Madcow »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #866 on: February 27, 2007, 12:27 PM »
Forgot about Rocky, that was another one that has been done before.  The Batman movie Kubricks are some of the best Medicom did...

One other oddity is the complete lack of Disney Kubricks for a long while (outside of the Pirates set last year)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #867 on: February 27, 2007, 01:56 PM »
As much as i love Kubricks i have to agree that they release schedule is not all that great. We have no idea if lines have ended or not. Its been a long time since any Marvel Kubricks, I believe the last were the FF movie ones. As pointed out the disney kubricks as well. I wish they were more steady.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 27, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Sometimes I think they just pick licenses out of a hat and that's what they're making for the month. The only thing they make that has any consitency whatsoever are the Bearbricks. They've been putting out 2-3 series of those a year for the last few years. The only reason I can see is that there really isn't much licensing that goes into making them as all they need is the artist's approval for each bear. As for the Kubricks, I have a theory that the popularity of the SW Kubricks kind of made them put everything else at a stand still. Besides some small exclusive pieces that's the only dedicated line of Kubs they've put out since Marvel 5...

On a similar note, any word on the Spawn Kubs? I see Blister just posted something about exclusives but I can't read Kanji:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:31 PM by Madcow »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #869 on: February 27, 2007, 02:51 PM »
I totally want those spawn exclusives. Do they ship to the US?