Author Topic: Anyone Listen to Podcasts?  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Anyone Listen to Podcasts?
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:39 PM »
I've somewhat recently started to listen to a few podcasts via iTunes, although I haven't listened to too many.  Just doing a few searches on there, it appears there are just tons out there.  I was just curious if anyone here ever listens to podcasts, and which ones you enjoy/recommend.  I personally have just listened to very few TV/movie related ones, ESPN/sports, and have recently checked out "Star Wars Action News" on the Star Wars side of things.  I think I've listened to Star Wars en Direct once before, although its been a long time.  Anyone here listen to podcasts?

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Listen to Podcasts?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Star Wars Action News (a.k.a. "SWAN") is what I listen to...other that that, I'm not really into podcasts.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline mousedroid

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 04:22 PM »
I don't have an iPod yet, but a friend of mine let me listen to some podcasts she had saved to hers and one of the funniest ones was something called "Ask A Ninja".

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 04:26 PM »
Yeah, I actually don't have an iPod yet either, but listen to them on the computer via iTunes so far.  I guess it isn't really a "podcast" then for me :P.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:17 AM »
The first podcast I listened to was the series that Ricky Gervais, Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington and did at the beginning of the year.  Really funny stuff, but then they started charging for it, and, guess what, I stopped listening.  Not sure if they're even doing them anymore.  Probably not.  Track the free ones down, though, if you're wanting a laugh or two.

Lately I've been listening to the 1UP Yours podcasts.  Sounds dirty, but really it's just a bunch of dudes talking about video games.  Pretty good listen, if you're interested at all in the new games and systems coming out in a couple months. 

And speaking of video game podcasts, a friend of mine always listens to Major Nelson's podcasts.  However, it seems to be more XBox 360-centric, and since I don't have a 360 at the moment, I haven't bothered listening to that one yet.  I'm sure that once I get a 360, I'll check it out.

As far as Star Wars podcasts go, I've listened to SWAN a couple of times.  It's okay, I guess, but I don't know--I think it's way too hardcore "STAR WARS COLLECTING!!!" for me.

And I've listened to Adam Pawlus' and TF.N's podcasts. . .  once.   :-X

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Gervais is still doing them, and they are still great.  He's done two series since the original one.  They're only like 80 cents each if you buy a season pass of 6, so totally worth the money, for me at least. 

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 01:20 AM »
I recently started listening to Podcasts. I've subscribed to three CNN news Podcasts, the state governor's official Podcast, and The Onion Radio "News" ;D. I also have other random stuff (including one ep of SWAN) but I haven't got around to listening to most of it yet.

I've started running the CNN podcasts in the background while I surf, instead of always music. I'm trying to stay more up-to-speed on news, and since I don't watch a lot of TV these days I'm seeking out alternate information outlets--Podcasts and something they call a "newspaper". ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 01:29 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #7 on: June 7, 2007, 02:06 PM »
I still listen to the video game podcasts like 1upYours and Major Nelson that I mentioned earlier, but I guess I'm getting kind of bored with them, as I haven't been able to listen to any of them from start to finish for a couple months now (plus, this is the dead time of year for video games, anyway).

So I thought I'd branch out from the video game stuff.  I had read something about a SModcast, and not knowing what that was, I looked it up and discovered it was a Kevin Smith/Scott Mosier podcast.

I'm still not sure what I think about Smith.  Sometimes I like him, sometimes I don't.  But I listened to a couple of the podcasts, and I think I like them quite a bit.  Everybody's pretty funny and they've all known each other forever so they have a great chemistry.  No set topics that I can tell--it's all just random.  One recent topic had to with a fight they had with an old lady at a flea market, and another had to do with how cool George Bush would be if he went live on TV and revealed Bin Laden's decapitated head.  Filthy, filthy language, too, which is always nice.

Click on the banner to go to the SModcast page. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #8 on: June 7, 2007, 02:34 PM »
I've downloaded the last 2 episodes of the SMOD, will give it a listen this evening.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2007, 02:42 PM »
I've been listening to the SModcast since it started earlier this year, and I find it pretty enjoyable to listen to.  Like Matt mentioned, foul language and material from time to time, but overall I find them pretty funny.  I enjoyed the flea market tales, pretty good.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2007, 04:10 PM »
I subscribe to Nights With Alice Cooper (Alice Cooper's own show, if you couldn't tell by the title) and Get The Led Out, a Zeppelin/trivia podcast.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #11 on: July 6, 2007, 09:51 AM »
Bump... Anyone else got some suggestions for Podcasts? I've been listening to SModcast, lately... Good ****. I need something to help me pass time at work.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 05:50 PM »
Personally, I can't stand Star Wars Action News (SWAN). It's too much whinning. I really can't stand very many star wars podcasts. They are just too chatty and not well put together.  I personnally like to listen to Disney podcasts and conspiracy theory podcasts.

A Window to the Magic Disney podcast
DWOWhoCast (Doctor Who podcast)
Inside the Magic
The 9th - Heros podcast
The Combat Information Center - BSG podcast
The Meandering Mouse
Magical Definition Podcast
Ghostly Talk
The MuppetCast
Mysterious Universe

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 05:53 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"