Author Topic: Jedi_Master_Ben's Wax Shop  (Read 46461 times)

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
Re: Who here would be interested in my alien heads?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2006, 03:37 AM »
Well mate just checked the head in more detail and brillant work indeed the likeness is spoton. It's a pity that we live on other sides of the world Iwould love to paint some of these heads up for you,

Ron

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 09:44 AM »
Hey Ben,
The Luxan head turned out great.  Its a great match with the Colemon body.  Every time I see this sculpts I can't believe the details you get on something so small.  Seeing it made me think, can we add a Nataulian (spelling?) to the list.  We could use another version to match our Kit Fistos.

I'm just curious, what does someone with so much artistic talent like you do for a living?  (assuming you are all grown up already  ;) )  You should work for a toy company making models!

Keep up the great work.

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 02:31 PM »
Hey everyone,

I have been EXTREAMLLY buisy this last week. With this months MMC, the neck conversion kit and this project, I am suprise I can find time to sleep ;D. OK, all joking aside, I have for you today is an update to the alien list. I have added two types of detailed WIP Bothan heads. Now a little funny thing happened while sculpting the first one, some how I managed to sculpt the head to big for the Zett body. I put it on my newly aquired Obi Wan #55 body and it works great for it. Now I could stop there and be donw with it, however, it would be hippacritical to rant about the height of the character and then just leave it on a larger body. So, I sculpted another head, this time making sure to stay proportiant and modeled the head after the freshly sculpted larger version and was happy with that result. Now I am left with two versions of this head. So, instead of wasting a sculpt and putting into the recycle bin, I am giving you, the customizer, the choice of sizes. Yes, you heard it right, you get to choose. For those who read the books and comics and believe that bothans are average huminoid height, and for those of you who follow the online discription and play the Galaxies game, you have a shorter version. I still have to tweek the hair style so they match and get the features just right, but for the most part, I think I got the job done. Let me know what you think. I can always change the hair around to a diffrent design if the masses agree. Here is a size comperison of what I think the Bothans look like, based on the Galaxies game:

I still have to sculpt the female version, the Twi'lek teens, and Master K'Kruhk's  head so I can get these figures I have on loan back to their owners, not to mention all the other stuff going on.

I hope you will enjoy,

Jedi_Master_Ben
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 02:33 PM by Jedi_Master_Ben »
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Wow that Bothan looks excellent Ben. It has been on my to-do list for awhile now, but I dought I could get it to look half as good as your's. If you are offering cast of it, I'd be interested. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 03:06 PM »
Wow that Bothan looks excellent Ben. It has been on my to-do list for awhile now, but I dought I could get it to look half as good as your's. If you are offering cast of it, I'd be interested. :)

I agree! As soon as you start castin' and sellin' let me know ok? I want some of that mate!
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2006, 04:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is haveing a nice Easter Sunday. I have a special posting today. I have two heads to post to my alien sculpt list, the third female Twi'lek and Jedi Master K'Kruhk's heads. I hope you will enjoy, and as always I like to hear your thoughts and comments.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2006, 04:23 PM »
Is it possible you forgot to post your pics?

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Kit Fist: Check the list, the pictures are there.

JMB

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2006, 04:37 PM »
Got it! ;) thanx dude, superb update

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2006, 02:19 PM »
Whenever you start casting these definitely put me on the list for:
Master K'Kruhk
Verpine Male
Twilek female

You really have some fantastic skill there and the fact that you are willing to share at such a low cost says alot. Are you planning on getting into the toy industry at some point? You really would have quite an amazing portfolio.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2006, 05:10 PM »
I know you're probably backed up with requests, but I had an idea over the weekend. Have you given any thought to making a few updated head sculpts of the say Han, luke and Leia. Kind of age them a little as they would appear in NJO. And for the love of God could you please do something about Luke's hair. ;D

Just a thought.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2006, 08:30 PM »
I know you're probably backed up with requests, but I had an idea over the weekend. Have you given any thought to making a few updated head sculpts of the say Han, luke and Leia. Kind of age them a little as they would appear in NJO. And for the love of God could you please do something about Luke's hair. ;D

Just a thought.

Maybe a decent Lando calrissian head. Hasbro has yet to make a really good one.

Offline The_Tin_Man

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Site
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I have an idea for another head to make. Thrawn, Chiss (male & female), Abyssin, Chadra-Fan, and  A Kaleesh

Her are links to pics of each:
 Kaleesh
 Abyssin
 Chiss Female
Chiss Male & Female
Thrawn
 Chadra-Fan
  The_Tin_man

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
Jedi_Master_Ben's Wax Shop
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2006, 01:09 AM »
Hi everyone,

I thought I would start a new thread to showcase this area of this art skill. I have only started to work with wax just this past two months or so and have adapted to it like fish to water. First let me show you my workstation.

And here is a close up of the tools used to work with the wax.

I use a soldering iron with a modified tip to melt the wax and drip on wax to the wax sculpt and also used to remove large amount of wax flashing left over from the wax casting process. The rest of the tools are various carving instruments used to scrape away excess wax. It turns out the wax I get from Bantha5 can be worked with clay shaping tools so I did not have to invest in a new set of tools. Any chance to save a few bucks is always welcomed.

Now lets have a see at what I have been working on for the past month or so. First up is a collection of Alien heads I have made wax casts of for fine detailing. I still have 5 more heads to make molds of to round out wave 1 of alien heads. Here is a sneak peak at what they look like:

These are in various stages of progression. The Minbari head is almost done. I will be posting more detailed wax head shots as they are finished.

Next up is my masterpiece in progress. You have all seen the clay sculpt of her in different parts sculpted on various cast resin pieces. I am referring to my Gargan figure that I start back in December. Even though I finished the sculpt of the figure over a month ago, it could not see it assembled until now thanks to casting parts in wax. Now you too can see for the first time the assembled Gargan figure:

She is still a work in progress. I found that I had many corrections to make such as air bubble from imperfect molds, and much needed modifications after articulation was designed. Here is a pic showing all the parts that make up the Gargan:

It was after putting in the articulation that I had to make changes to my initial sculpt. For example, I made the arms to wide for proper articulation, so I had to slim them down, also the boobs were not angled correctly when the torso is sitting on the skirt so that had to be changed. Then there was the hollowing out the headdress and skirt. Based on some recommendations, I decided to mold the head dress with the head in it and same with the skirt with the leg base as well. On several occasions I broke tips off or melted holes, but the beauty of wax is that you can just add more to it and keep moving on. For the most part, the initial sculpt maintains its integrity. For my first wax figure, I probably should have not chose the Gargan with so many parts and extreme amount of detail. She has been a great learning project for me and I am having a lot of fun and above all else, I am really proud of how she is starting to turn out.

Well it is late now, so I will turn this over to you all for comments, questions and suggestions. Thanks for looking and stay tuned for more updates on this thread.

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi_Master_Ben's Wax Shop
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Wow! That Gargan is incredible! It really rivals Bantha5's version. Please say your going to make casts of that figure. I really want one! She would be so cool to add to my collection. Have you started to mass produce those Babaylon 5 heads yet?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours