Author Topic: Niub Niub  (Read 7060 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Niub Niub
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:25 PM »
Click here -

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2314387&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#2314387

Looks like Niub Niub is indeed doing some sort of project too -

CELEBRATION IV DIORAMA WORKSHOP A GO !!!
I am sooooo sooooo thrilled and excited to let you all know that Lucasfilm and Gen Con have asked me if I wanted to return next summer to organise yet another Diorama Workshop based on the tremendous success and fan popularity of the past 2 celebrations.

We have been in talks for about 3-4 months now and they LOVE the theme/idea I proposed for next May's event. If you thought that Mos Eisley and the Death Star projects were BIG, HA !!!! wait till you experience the workshop in Los Angeles next May !!!

Next Summer, we will return to the basics of Diorama skills that people enjoyed at Celebration II, the 3 P's... Paper, Plaster and Paints :) and what exactly will we be crating??? What if I hinted that my ewok cousins would be first in line to start building - LOL. Yes that is correct... The ENDOR FORREST is next years theme.

During the 5 day event, you will have even more time to push your skills and complexity to a new level. With some major twists and surprises you will find out more about early next year. Ahhh, I know... tell us NOW ;p

We will need a lot, and I mean A LOT to fill up the 16 X 32 feet forrest surface. The main creation of course will be your own TREE. That is the start of your project. Once that is completed, if you wish to stay on for another day, then you can add to it your very own EWOK HUTT. Those of you who only want to spend 1 or 2 hours at the workshop can build a ROPE BRIDGE that we can connect to 2 trees to start getting the feeling of a village. As in previous workshops, you WILL be allowed to bring home your creation at the end of the last day's exhibit.

Now if you think THAT is cool, you can't have Endor without it's specific locations, like perhaps you want to stay on even more days and build a POWER GENERATOR, orhave your friends work as a team and build an AT-AT DOCKING STATION where Luke surrenders to Darth Vader. Or some Ewok traps like Logs crushing an AT-ST :) and if that wasn't exciting enough ... :) How can you not include a cool SPEEDER BIKE CHASE :D

Spread out between all the items that you guys will have created, will be a huge miniature train railroad system that will have Luke, Leia and Biker Scout Speeders (attached on top the locommotives) to simulate the high speed chases we remember so well in Return of the Jedi. Now if that isn't excitement enough to book your flight and hotel reservations today, I don't know what is :P LOL.

I will be planning the workshop January all through end of April and will create a section that will keep you informed as to what the techniques and actual look of the trees, hutts etc... will be like leading up to the convention. I hope I will see some familiar faces and some new ones in Los Angeles. The one thing I can Guarantee, is that it will be a LOT of fun.

Stay tuned NEXT WEEK for PART 2 of my NIUBNIUB SECRET. It could be my most amazing post since the site was created over 6 years ago...

I have tried contacting him several times to see if he had anything planned, but never heard from him.

Thoughts?

;)

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Niub Niub
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 02:48 PM »
it is an interesting concept and very cool way for the fans to participate in the booth. that is a huge area to cover! it's really cool that he has official sponsorship. i hope that our 2 projects don't hinder eachother. :)
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 03:36 PM »
Um, huh.

Well, it's cool that he's alive & doin' stuff again! He is the master, But is this gonna color LFL's choice as to whether or not the UGP makes it into C4? I mean, I hope that they don't feel like we're redundant.

If so, could we be included in the package of the custom-dio-mania of the Niubster's Project? I know he's a busy busy man, but I don't like the vibe I'm getting from Frank's lack of contact... :-\ Hopefully he was just trying to keep it under wraps, and now that the secret's out of the bag, he'll respond.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 03:53 PM »
That is indeed disturbing. Hmmmm. ???
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:25 PM »
It is a little disturbing... I just wish I had heard back from him.  Hopefully he's just been really busy, and now will be able to discuss more.  I'm going to try and stay optimistic about it, but am looking forward to finding more out. 

We are supposed to find out after Dec 31 if we are getting a booth, right?

;)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 04:04 PM »
Well, i hate to be a pesimist, but i doubt they will have 2 custom dio booths.
I'm crossing my fingers though.

Plus booth or not, what if we still went through with it for the sake of saying we did.
It would still be cool to have images posted of the UGP.

We would also loose some of the size constraints.
We could still ship it to on place and have it all assembled and photographed.

So i say even if we dont get a booth we should see Phrubys dream thru to completion!!
Can I get a h3LL yeah?!!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 06:36 PM »
We are suppost to find out in the middle of February. Deadline for submissions is the end of the year. Personally, I don't see why they won't allow two customizing projects at the convension. His is built from scratch on site while ours is built ahead of time. We can still put together the dio even if we don't get a booth. Maybe a slight boycott might be in order also but we will see.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 06:43 PM »
Damn, we don't find out until February... that kind of sucks that he knows he gets to do it, while we're waiting.  I say during that time we continue working on things for it (or pick back up I suppose).  If by chance something does happen where they don't let us do it, I agree with Glassman that we ought to do something on our own anyways (I have a private idea about this if anyone wants I'll PM it to them).  Of course I want to stay optimistic though.   ;)

One thing I had discussed with Ryan a couple months ago was the possiblity of him working on most of the landscape as he had thought he might be able to take his SUV to C4.  With the smaller dimensions, and less actual landscape in the latest design, I think this is actually a really good idea for the sake of having a consistent looking landscape.

I think we need to have a CHAT sometime in the next week... what do you guys think?

;)

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 07:16 PM »
1) H3LL Y34H!!

2) Justin, PM me, please I'd love to hear your thoughts!

3) I'd love to have a chat, but can we actually manage to get enough of us together at the same time?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 03:26 PM by PenDragon »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Just let me know the date and time.

I definately think we could find a place to display and take pictures of the results. I could get permission to use our church building for setup and display during C4. I'm only about an hour drive from the LA convention center. We could advertise where it will be shown and post viewing hours.

As for Niub Niub's project, I wonder how much help he is actually going to get building the project during the show. Customizing has really decreased in popularity in the past year since the drying up of clones for newbies to paint. If the hard core customiziers are buiding the UGP who is going to be available to help Niub build his?

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 08:57 PM »
A very interesting question indeed. This definately explains why he has all but disappeared lately.

I'm all up for a chat whenever you guys want it. We really need to rally the troops.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 10:27 PM »
As for Niub Niub's project, I wonder how much help he is actually going to get building the project during the show. Customizing has really decreased in popularity in the past year since the drying up of clones for newbies to paint. If the hard core customiziers are buiding the UGP who is going to be available to help Niub build his?

Niub had plenty o traffic at C3...  Kids, parents...  It was really the same traffic we were getting with the FFURG table actually, and it was surprising to us but NN was set up for it with large space.  At times it was pretty full in his area...  It was a very interactive thing, which in the fan hall was a rarity actually since a lot of it was "stand and stare at what we have and are" more than hands-on...  if that makes sense.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2007, 02:17 AM »
... Niub Niub now works for ILM!!!   :o

;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: January 4, 2007, 03:01 AM »
Indeed he does...  I knew that was something he was wanting to do from really years back when he first showed up on the FFURG listserver.  It clicked in my mind that was something he was shooting for when I read the news on his site...  Good for him on that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 4, 2007, 06:01 PM »
That's right. He does work for ILM. I forgot about that. He was telling me year or two ago that he was moving to California to work on the CG for a couple of movies. That is why his site has been so quite for so long.