Author Topic: Card Molesters should be shot!!!  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
Card Molesters should be shot!!!
« on: June 4, 2003, 09:32 PM »
I finally get some new figures in my area and some pyscho bends up all the cards and smashes the bubbles....fortunately I open the figures...still I finally was able to snag a red BD, a blond IO, Barriss Offee, Yoda and Chian, and Lama Su with Clone Youth

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Card Molesters should be shot!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 4, 2003, 09:42 PM »
You're lucky you found some new figures, man! I haven't seen any new cards in... a long time.

I have heard about people bending cards, but I've never seen it for myself on any card in any line... Very odd and, well, stupid. Be sure to post reviews of your figures in our reviews section, I'm dying for some new material to read!

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2003, 09:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that...I actually have been somewhat lucky in the last couple of weeks, but I still need the Acklay and Deluxe Yoda to be comfortably "caught up"...I am still on the lookout for extras especially for Dimetrodon, but I can also keep you in mind for the extras after him Angry Ewok! ;D

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 4, 2003, 09:51 PM »
The Card Bender is a myth, an urban legend created by collectors during dry spells between shipments in order to generate discussion on message boards. While there have been numerous eye-witness reports, Bigfoot is easier to photograph than the Card Bender. It is as much a creature of fantasy as the unicorn or the leprechaun or the eskimo.

(Wish I could find some new figures...)
Post sober.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 4, 2003, 10:00 PM »
I need a loose red Battle Droid, Barriss, Yoda/Chian, Ashla/Jempa, and Aayla, and would be glad to pay you full retail for even the most horribly damaged cards ;) So long as the figures arent damaged!

;D
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 4, 2003, 11:45 PM »
Great find Jedirhino, your patience has paid off. ;D

I'll still keep an eye out for the Yoda Deluxe/Acklay for you, how do you like the 3PO I sent you?  I love that set and now have 4 of them opened.  It's a great set with the conveyor belt, red Battle Droid army-builder, and the extra 3POs can be customized to be other protocol droids.  Do you want another set if I come across one?

:P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2003, 11:57 PM »
The Card Bender is a myth, an urban legend created by collectors during dry spells between shipments in order to generate discussion on message boards. While there have been numerous eye-witness reports, Bigfoot is easier to photograph than the Card Bender. It is as much a creature of fantasy as the unicorn or the leprechaun or the eskimo.

(Wish I could find some new figures...)

Not true.  We had an admitted one over on snowtroopers.ca.  Turned out to be an employee too, IIRC.  I'll try to dig up the thread for you.  It wasn't pretty.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2003, 03:40 AM »
Not true.  We had an admitted one over on snowtroopers.ca.  Turned out to be an employee too, IIRC.  I'll try to dig up the thread for you.  It wasn't pretty.  

Pretty sure John's joking there Brent...   ;)  Card benders are really out there.  I definitely see some of there work from time to time...

There's unfortunately one running loose at Disneyland.  It's been better over the past several weeks (probably due to my constant complaints), but there was either a park regular or an employee at the Star Traders shop who was deliberately FOLDING a lot of the Star Tours droids cards.  Makes it rather tough on a fella like me who's trying to hook up a bunch of MOMC collectors here in our forums!   >:(

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2003, 09:06 AM »
The bubbles on these babies were totally smashed but the figs were mint (got to love it!)

I'll keep an eye out for other figs as well...

I am certainly sure that these were tampered with though....

Chewie -

Awesome set...one is plently for me...
Still need the Deluxe Yoda and Acklay though..thanks for keeping an eye out!

obi_robz

« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2003, 09:42 AM »
I’m shocked to learn that such things happen – how can people be so mean?

The upside of being a UK collector is that our figures are very rarely bought in retail stores. All my new figs come case fresh from Internet companies, and usually they’ve never been hung on a peg, or ever been sat on a shelf.

I have to say that the only seriously damaged cards I’ve ever seen were at TRU (our only retail store for SW). I suppose this could just be shelf wear, although sometimes they do look like they could have been deliberately tampered with. Who knows if this is a myth or not?

I hear in the Southern States you can get the death penalty for card bending, or is that just another myth?  ;)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2003, 10:43 AM »
I hear in the Southern States you can get the death penalty for card bending, or is that just another myth?  ;)

:o Heck, no. You can get the death penalty for just about ANYTHING in the southern states. I'm pretty sure it's still illegal to pronounce "Arkansas" Ar-KAN-sas (the way it's spelled) rather than AR-kan-saw. Pretty uptight state there.

:P And as for you, Mr. "I've seen their work," just because the snow's yellow doesn't mean you've got a Yeti in the neighborhood. (Old expression Grandma used; never understood what the hell she meant 'til now.)

::) Morgbug, I'd be very interested in reading that alleged card bender thread. This guy didn't happen to see flying saucers, too, did he? ("I was abducted! They MADE me bend cards! I don't understand! Help me understand!!!")
Post sober.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2003, 11:31 AM »
Hmmmm, I have seen this before as well.  However, we have a non-believer on the boards.  Hmmm, meditate on this I will.  Who the heck am I kidding?  I won't!  

Yeah, believe it.  It's actually true.  I have seen the evidence of card bending as well.  As stupid as it sounds it does exist.  Although very, very infrequently.  

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2003, 02:15 PM »
Well if you would see these bubbles...if I caught someone doing it I'd kill them and I would get the death penalty

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #13 on: June 5, 2003, 03:01 PM »

We have no cards to bend down here in the first place... Perhaps if we actually got a shipment or two, we might have this problem of card bending... but as it is, card benders aren't the myth... Cards are.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #14 on: June 5, 2003, 03:20 PM »
I haven't seen a single new figure since November 2002.  I was able to recently snag up some new Unleashed figures and the Imperial 4-pack, but no 3.75" figures.   >:(

As far as card benders go, I saw one person do it the day after Thanksgiving 2002.  I was standing in line from hell at TRU, and there was a guy bending the cards on purpose.  There was no way I was going to get out of line to yell at the guy (I had already waited 40 minutes in line), or to even get a TRU employee to take care of that jerk.  But I saw it with my own eyes.  People like that deserve to have the crap kicked out of them.  They're the ones that ruin it for all of us collectors.

Another reason why some carded figures are in bad shape are because of children sorting through them.  They don't care about them, because they're going to open up the figure anyway.  That I've seen a number of times too, but I'm not going to yell at a kid or their parents'.  That's just not going to get me anywhere.
dustrho