Author Topic: eBay Kubrick Scams and Fakes  (Read 99353 times)

Offline Johnnyl

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: eBay Kubrick Scams and Fakes
« Reply #165 on: June 3, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Its the Fett from the set of six
it has the wrong gun

Offline space monkey

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2012, 09:28 PM »
I'm not saying this is either a scam or a fake but this Dagobah Luke from ronnicshop on ebay has neither the original hair or weapons. It's one of those factory seconds that pop up from time to time and still go for a pretty penny.

Just a heads up if you were thinking of bidding.

Offline Plasticlab

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Def a Luke Jedi S5 hair. Not cool.

Offline SoloSS

• Youngling
  • I don't know, so sue me
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Hello
I'm new to collecting Star Wars Kubricks and in the last 24 hours have already learned a lot from this thread. I discovered I had bought a box set of cheap knock-offs as one of my first purchases. Oh well. I have a couple of questions - so far, I've only bought from eBay. I see there is a marketplace here. Is there anywhere else you can recommend buying Kubricks? And it seems on eBay there are only a handful of major resellers - are there any I should stay away from in particular? I have bought quite a few things from pizza-hunter and they seem to be OK, but after reading this thread I'm a little paranoid..
Thanks for any thoughts

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2012, 10:59 PM »
You've come to the right place for Kubricks!  Here are a couple of suggestions and notes for you:

#1 - Ebay is great source for Kubes, but you need to be patient.  There are some sellers like Honorus that have a big supply, but only offer 1 of each figure at a time at ridiculously high prices.  Wait to make sure you're getting a good deal or this hobby can get spendy fast!

#2 - JediDefender classifieds or Kubricknation.com forums are probably your best bet to get figures outside of Ebay.  You can find some of the more common figures on here for just $5-10.  The front page of Jedidefender also has a photo gallery and checklist covering the first dozen waves or so.  The Kubrick threads here have pictures of everything since then as well. 

#3 - If needed, you can turn to some Japanese suppliers.  Celga and Onejp are middle-men that will allow you to bid on Yahoo Japan auctions.  You can get some good prices on rarer stuff this way, but it is not a great route for common items as you have to pay shipping fees twice, give them a commission fee, and put money in your account ahead of time to bid. 

In general, you should pay attention to the case ratios.  Lower ratios mean the figure is more rare and will probably cost you more.  Each release has included boxes of 12 figures.  In the older series (pre-deluxe), there were 6 basic figures, 1 common chase, and 2 rare chases.  In the deluxe series, the common chase has been removed in place of the Build-A-Figure/Ship. 

You should be able to get most of the basic series figures for $5-10 unless they were short packed.  Series 3 boxes, for example, only had one AT-AT Driver, so he will cost you more.  The "common chase" figures were 1:24 or 2 per case of 4 boxes.  Those tend to go for around $20-25 I think, but you can sometimes find them really cheap.  The rare chase figures are 1:96.  Each case of 4 boxes only includes 1 rare chase figure (so 1 in every 48 figures).  You would need to get at least two cases (8 boxes) to land both chases - possibly more, since you can't tell which chase you get from the outside of the case.  Those chases typically go for around $100.  Deluxe Chases may go for considerably more.  We've seen Hammerheads go for $300 and AT-ST Drivers go for as much as $600, which is insane.

Your best bet is to go to the advanced search in Ebay and looking at completed auctions.  This will give you a good sense of what the figure(s) are going for.  You can always just pse your questions here as well - JD'ers love to talk about Kubes.  Good luck and welcome to the site!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline SoloSS

• Youngling
  • I don't know, so sue me
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2012, 12:39 PM »
Thank you for the awesome advice. I'm already fantasizing about making a trip to the Medicom Toy Exhibition some day. Now that's expensive!

Offline SaaiBork

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2012, 03:47 PM »
A set of six Lograys for $49.99? Fake or deal of the century?
www.ebay.com/itm/181011159310

Offline Adrian

• Jedi Initiate
  • Follow me you will
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2012, 11:26 PM »
Sold... expect to see 5 Lograys for 99.99  in the near future.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Fakes.  The guy only has 6 Lograys and has never sold any other Kubes?  Fishy for certain.  That said, I'd love to nab a phoney Logray just for comparison.  I would totally buy one of these for $20 if the buyer ends up listing the spares.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2012, 01:01 AM »
The seller sold a set of 6 the day prior... so does that make 12... oh my!  :-\

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2012, 06:17 PM »
The seller sold a set of 6 the day prior... so does that make 12... oh my!  :-\

Well, that easily confirms it.  I wish I had my Kubes accessible so that I could compare versus the pciture.  The spear looks more reddish than I recall.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 4, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Seller has another set of 6 up but this time, a bin of $99. Too high, if was lower would nab them to have a looky.  :-\

Think the seller has another account, not many items but the same stuff. He has Komami figs which I collect & think those are faked too as they are cheap for chase items & this new acct sold 1 Logray for $24.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-Medicom-Star-Wars-Series-3-Secret-LOGRAY-Collection-Kubrick-Figure-/130795041059?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item1e73fdf123

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 6, 2012, 05:37 PM »
I paid $100 for three of these Lograys and they arrived a few days back.  Who can spot the fake vs. the real thing?

Offline Adrian

• Jedi Initiate
  • Follow me you will
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 8, 2012, 12:58 AM »
I give up, what are the differences?

If i had to guess, I would say that the one on the right is fake.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2012, 01:00 AM by Adrian »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 8, 2012, 12:06 PM »
You are correct!  Pretty tough to tell the difference though.  I looked under a magnifying glass and still couldn't find differences in the figure...right down to the paint job.  However, if you look closely at the staffs you can see much darker blacks in the reproduction vs. The original.  So far, that's the only distinguishable difference I have found.  I am sending my extras to Kube Scientists Jayson and Dale for added lab work.  We'll see what they can find.