Author Topic: The DS Thread  (Read 18951 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
The DS Thread
« on: January 8, 2007, 02:53 PM »

(What were you expecting this topic to be about?)   ;D

So I finally snagged a black DS Lite over the holidays, and I gotta say, I love it.  I remember when the original DS came out, a little over two years ago, and I wasn't enthused about it at all--thought it was too gimmicky and would be too clumsy to use.  But they released all these games, that I kept reading all of these rave reviews for, and with the one-two punch of New Super Mario Bros. and the redesigned, ultra-sexy DS Lite last summer, my opinion on it changed for good.  I just wish I hadn't waited so long to grab one.

As far as games, I've got the afore-mentioned New SMB (which I'm currently working my way through), along with Brain Age (27!) and Clubhouse Games, which is a collection of forty-something card- and board-games and such, most of which can be played over WiFi with anyone around the world.  I've had a lot of fun with all of them so far.

But I'm gonna need something else to tide me over until October 15, so I'm looking forward to going back through and picking up the gems of the DS library--so pretty much everything made by Nintendo, along with maybe a few others.  I'm thinking probably Mario Kart DS, Tetris DS, and Big Brain Academy next, along with a few others.

So, any other DS gamers around here?  What all games do you have?  Any recommendations?  What upcoming titles are you looking forward to?

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: The DS Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2007, 03:02 PM »
I don't have a DS, but I think you can play GBA games on it.  If so, you should pick up Dr. Mario.  I enjoyed that game on the SNES (even more than Tetris).

Sounds like a good match for your tastes.

This thread had potential...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2007, 03:24 PM »

(What were you expecting this topic to be about?)   ;D

Well you got me, I admit that.

No DS system for me, still on the last version of the non-DS gameboy (not big gaming and what I do is mostly on the computer) because I'm mostly too cheap to spring for new technology when it first comes out.  They look neat enough, but I'm still happy with the old version.  Saying that I've seen some new games that seem to be DS only, so maybe...
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: January 8, 2007, 03:51 PM »
I don't have a DS, but I think you can play GBA games on it.

Yep.

If so, you should pick up Dr. Mario.  I enjoyed that game on the SNES (even more than Tetris).

Sounds like a good match for your tastes.

Yeah, I've got that for my SNES in the Tetris/Dr. Mario game (which I bought mainly for Tetris).  Not a huge Dr. Mario fan.

And I've had a GBA of some sort for over five years.  Looking for recommendations for DS games, primarily.

But (  ;D ) thanks anyway.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 8, 2007, 05:13 PM »
Yes DS fan here.
I have a few games at moment
Super Mario Bros
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Mario and Luigi partners in time
Advance Wars DS
Puzzle Bobble
Viewtifull Joe

Looking to still get Children of Mana and Starfox.
I thought I was ok with Mario Kart till I tried it online, man did I get spanked.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 8, 2007, 11:57 PM »
What no mention of either Castlevania games!! Tsk, tsk, tsk!! I congratulate ya on joining the ever growing DS legion of fans! It is definately the better of the three portable systems out there! The games are fantastic, and the touch screen is not as gimmicky as I thought as well.

Games in my libary

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Mario Kart
Nintendogs
New Super Mario Bros
Brain Age (21)
Trauma Center
Resident Evil
Cooking Mama
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin

I highly recommend either of the Castlevania games, very fun and in depth game that will keep you entertained for hours.
If you can find it Trauma Center is one hell of a game for the DS, and makes excellent use of the touch screen! The graphics are pretty good, and the storyline keeps you quite entertained between surgeries!! If you can't find it, just wait for the new one.
I would not suggest Cooking Mama, not as fun as I thought it would be! Had they been real recipes that you could learn step by step, then perhaps, but it's just simple repetitive tasks to complete the recipes! ::) 
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2007, 12:00 AM »
What's the battery life on this thing?  I assume it runs on AA's?  I'm tempted to pick one up, but haven't had the best of luck with battery life on my digital camera & cell phone for that matter.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2007, 12:38 AM »
It has a build in rechareable battery pack, there is no space for regular batteries! It comes with a very nice and compact ac adapter! It's so cool, it folds into itself so the prongs aren't sticking out, a very neat lil accessory!!
-Vincent

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2007, 01:00 AM »
What no mention of either Castlevania games!! Tsk, tsk, tsk!!

(snip)

I highly recommend either of the Castlevania games, very fun and in depth game that will keep you entertained for hours.

Yeah, they're on my list, but to be honest, I'll probably never get around to playing them.  I think I'm all Castlevania'd out.

If you can find it Trauma Center is one hell of a game for the DS, and makes excellent use of the touch screen! The graphics are pretty good, and the storyline keeps you quite entertained between surgeries!! If you can't find it, just wait for the new one.

Yeah, that's on my list too, but it's also out for the Wii, and "plenty of stuff to play on the DS" plus "not a whole lot to play on the Wii" means that if I ever get it, I'll probably get the Wii version instead.

I would not suggest Cooking Mama, not as fun as I thought it would be! Had they been real recipes that you could learn step by step, then perhaps, but it's just simple repetitive tasks to complete the recipes! ::)

The demo I played didn't do a whole hell of a lot for me.

It is definately the better of the three portable systems out there!

Okay, DS and PSP, I got, but what's the third?  GBA?  I don't even really count that anymore.  I know they're still selling a ton of them, but is Nintendo really even supporting it these days?  I think their focus has shifted entirely over to the DS side of things. . .

Anyway, looking over EB's list of upcoming games, here's what I'm most-interested in:

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Jan. 22)
Wario: Master of Disguise (Mar. 5)
DK: King of Swing (Mar. 30)

And then, of course, there's Zelda--which they're listing for June 1, but I've seen it listed elsewhere for an October release.  I'm assuming the latter.

But anyway, thanks for the recommendations.

---

What's the battery life on this thing?

According to Wikipedia, between five and seven hours on the brightest setting, and between twelve and sixteen on the lowest.  I always use the brightest setting, and five-to-seven hours seems about right.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2007, 10:31 AM »
And then, of course, there's Zelda--which they're listing for June 1, but I've seen it listed elsewhere for an October release.  I'm assuming the latter.

That's been pushed back YET AGAIN to at least the end of '07. Zelda was the only reason I was holding on to my DS but I got tired of waiting. I'll just pick up a used one when it finally IS released...  >:(

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 9, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Anyway, looking over EB's list of upcoming games

Ahhh now that's what I was looking for, a compact list of upcoming games! From what I quickly scanned, this looks interesting to me,

Diddy Kong Racing - If its anything like Mario Kart, must have!!

Phoenix Wriight: Justice For All - Never played the first one, but really wanted to, guess I'll start with the second one!

Wario: Master of Disguise - As long as it's a side scroller, I'm in!

TMNT - Again if its a decent side scroller

Dragon Quest IX - This one should be very good! I haven't played a version of this series since I got the free one with my Nintendo Power subscription a long time ago! :o ;D

Pokemon - Diamond - Another title I'm looking forward too, can't wait!

Zelda - I would be more excited if the graphics weren't based on the Gamecube version!! Blech!!
-Vincent

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 02:00 PM »
Ahhh now that's what I was looking for, a compact list of upcoming games!

This one's better.

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 01:02 PM »
Thanks Matt, even better link. It had pics of Diddy Kong Racing, and so far it looks a lot like Mario Kart. So hopefully it'll play just as well, can't wait!! :D
-Vincent

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 5, 2007, 04:55 PM »
Ok, so who here played Kiddy Kong racing for the N64?? I never did, so while I was looking forward to D K Racing, I'm kind of hesitant since I've heard it's not as good as Mario Kart!!

What are your opinions for those that have played??
-Vincent

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #14 on: February 5, 2007, 05:15 PM »
Ok, so who here played Kiddy Kong racing for the N64?? I never did, so while I was looking forward to D K Racing, I'm kind of hesitant since I've heard it's not as good as Mario Kart!!

What are your opinions for those that have played??

I played DKR back in the day, and while it was alright, it was nowhere near as fun as MK64.  The only things that were really different from MK64 were the airplane and hoverboat levels.  I suppose if you're totally finished with MKDS, and are just itching for more of the same, then DKRDS may be worth checking out.  As for me, I couldn't be less-interested in it.